Hello MEEOA friends,
Yesterday was a hopeful sign for TRIO. While this is far from accomplished, it is great to see the support for TRIO in the President’s budget. In case you hadn’t heard, please read the message from Maureen Hoyler below…
From: Maureen Hoyler <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Friday, March 10, 2023 12:29 PM

Subject: Biden-Harris Administration Proposes 9% Increase for TRIO in FY24

Are you having trouble viewing this message? Click here<https://t.congressweb.com/w/?UXSPDSSYCX>

[Alternate text]<https://t.congressweb.com/l/?UXSPDSSYCXNSFLM>

FRIDAY, MARCH 10, 2023

Yesterday, the Biden-Harris Administration released its budget request to Congress for Fiscal Year 2024 (Program Year 2024-2025).

This proposal asks Congress to provide a $107 million (or 9%) funding increase for TRIO, for a total proposed appropriation of $1.3 billion in FY24.

The Administration's budget would also increase the maximum Pell Grant by $820 (or 11%), for a total maximum Pell Grant award of $8,215. Additionally, the Administration is requesting a $20 million (or 5%) funding increase for GEAR UP, for a total proposed appropriation of $408 million.  The Administration has proposed "flat-funding" both the Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grants and the Federal Work-Study grants at the FY2023 levels of $910 million and $1.23 million respectively.

COE applauds this proposed increase as it would allow TRIO programs to move closer to our goal of serving 1 million students and also provide much needed cost-of-living increases for all current programs to serve students more intensively. Our community will fight for this amount when, in just over a week, more than 600 TRIO educators, advocates, and alumni visit Capitol Hill during COE's 42nd Annual Policy Seminar<https://t.congressweb.com/l/?UXSPDSSYCXVJIMN>.

With the annual budget process rolling out at the same time that the federal government must make critical decisions regarding the looming debt ceiling crisis<https://t.congressweb.com/l/?UXSPDSSYCXMUQKB>, it is imperative that our community have an amplified voice to secure the futures of our students and programs.

We have much work to do.

We look forward to seeing many of you in Washington, DC as we kick-off our annual fight for TRIO funding. We look forward to working with all of you in the following weeks as we work together to organize local congressional meetings and continue our advocacy efforts.

Thank you for your continued advocacy for TRIO programs and the first-generation, low-income students, and students with disabilities you serve.

[Alternate text]

Maureen Hoyler

President

Council for Opportunity in Education

[Alternate text]<https://t.congressweb.com/l/?UXSPDSSYCXDJONM>

Terry T. Charlton, M.Ed
TRIO Student Support Services Director
Maine Educational Opportunity Association (MEEOA) President

Central Maine Community College
1250 Turner Street
Auburn, Maine 04210
Tel: (207) 755-5238<https:[log in to unmask]>

“ Access without support is not opportunity” – Vincent Tinto

Website: Maine Educational Opportunity Association (meeoa.org)<https://www.meeoa.org/>
[meeoa logo]
Pronouns: She, her, hers