I agree with Mike that best of three should be restored to the first two rounds of, in this case, ECAC. One and dones put too much upset variance, especially in the first level, into the mix. Better yet, go back to the way it was 30 years ago when the bottom 4 teams in the standings don't make it to the playoffs at all. You gotta EARN your way in. Otherwise the regular season loses much of its meaning. Fans watching loss after loss after loss only to, in most cases, see another embarrassment. Or in most of the upsets, the bottom dweller ruins the efforts of a fairly decent -to- decent team due to a few aberrational physics in the deflections of the puck. Or in the miracle situation, a #12 conference seed rattles off up to 10 wins to become an NCAA champ with like a 15-25 overall record. That would be a laughingstock. Remember, in almost every sports movie or story with the cinderella team- the rags to riches story if you will- the protagonist team still has to turn it around in the regular season and QUALIFY to make it to the playoffs and ultimately to the climactic championship.

Richard Vehlow RPI '91 '93 '02