GREEK MYTHOLOGY IN THE NIGHT SKY
Saturday, March 25, 2023 at 1:00 p.m.
A collaboration between the Southworth Planetarium and the Hellenic Society of Maine

Approximately 2/3 (66.667% if you prefer pointless precision) of the seats for this Saturday's 'Greek Mythology in the Night Sky' presentation have already been reserved.    If you wish to join this merry crowd, please send a reply or call 207-780-4249 to reserve your seat.

We'll spend 1.5 hours in our subterranean star dome theatre exploring the celestial firmament: the tapestry in which the figures of the ancient sagas remain indelibly imprinted.     Now, if you find angry Trojan War mythology a bit off-putting with characters such as wrathful Achilles and incensed Apollo as well as merely annoyed Agamemnon and furious Philoctetes, well don't worry. Almost all of the night sky figures pre-date the Trojan War.  However -and here's the rub- the night sky predates the Trojan War, as well.
Even though the Sun and the surrounding stars are racing around the galaxy at more than 100 miles per second, they are so far apart that the constellations visible above the ancient world look the same as they do today.

For more information, please consult the following web-page:
www.usm.maine.edu/calendar-of-events/event/greek-mythology-in-the-night-sky