THE DAILY ASTRONOMER
Tuesday, March 21, 2023
Solar Eclipse 2024  # 7:  The Most Watched Solar Eclipse Ever?

___________________________________
*387 days until  the April 8, 2024 total solar  eclipse!*
___________________________________
Although the Big History series is on hiatus until fall, the Solar Eclipse
2024 series continues.

On April 8, 2024, the moon will pass directly in front of the Sun so as to
completely cover it, at least for a few minutes.    This upcoming eclipse,
dubbed the second Great American Eclipse -the first occurred on August 21,
2017-, might well be the most  watched total solar eclipse ever.  If you
venture out that day to observe what promises to be a magnificent
spectacle, you will likely be joined by more than one hundred million
others.

Let's examine the map again:

[image: 960x0.jpg]

The band stretching from the pacific through Mexico, the US  and eastern
Canada is the totality path.  Only observers within this  band  will  be
able to watch the total solar eclipse.   Those  observers within the
grid-region at either side of this band will only  observe a partial
eclipse, the  magnitude  of which decreases with  increasing distance from
the band.        The  population within this entire area easily  exceeds
200 million.  Approximately 32 million people reside within the totality
path, itself. (Comparethis value  to the 12 million people who lived within
the 2017 total solar eclipse totality path.)

[image: TSE2024cities.png]

Some of the cities within the totality path include:

   - Dallas/Ft. Worth
   - San Antonio
   - Austin
   - Little Rock
   - Buffalo
   - Cleveland
   - Montreal
   - Indianapolis
   - Durango
   - Erie
   - Burlington

Add to the people within these population centers the millions who will
travel to them to observe the total eclipse.  Although partial solar
eclipses can  prove quite enthralling, nothing compares to a total solar
eclipse.    Moreover, after this eclipse, we'll have to wait twenty full
years for the next total eclipse to occur in the contiguous US.

[image: map_usa_21st_century.png]

As we can see from the map above, the next total solar eclipse visible from
the contiguous US won't  occur until 2044. Even that eclipse will be
limited largely to the upper midwest.  However, the following year we'll
experience the next Great American Eclipse. As was true  in 2017, that
event's  totality path will extend between coasts.  It will even be visible
at Disney World, which, based on the continuing elevation of political
discourse in our country, will likely be the nation's capital by that time.

So, when you venture out on April 8, 2024 to observe the total eclipse,
just know that even if you're by yourself, you certainly won't be  alone.

To subscribe or unsubscribe from the "Daily Astronomer"

http://lists.maine.edu/cgi/wa?A0=DAILY-ASTRONOMER