Good Evening Everyone,
I know that many, maybe everyone, has seen videos regarding lidar and how
it is expanding our knowledge of past civilizations and man's
activities that have been obscured by nature's advance after man has ceased
to exist in the environment.

This video of the Amazon <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dY82nZTxXQ4>ian
Rivers. reminded me of the importance of the GeoLibraries work. If we only
read the US history books we would think that the Americas were largely
unpopulated and unsophisticated prior to the European explorers.

It is a very unsophisticated view of the people and cultures in the
Americas. Modern day tools such as lidar are proving that there was much
more to native populations than we have been led to believe.

As we lobby our legislative leaders for the GeoLibrary resources so
desperately needed, think about our contributions to historical knowledge.
Hopefully the data we collect now will survive our technological advances
and tell the stories of what it was like to be in Maine today to our
descendants and their descendants!

Call your Senator and Representative! They probably won't respond to your
emails!

Act Now!!

Joseph Young
Moose Hill Farm
Fayette, ME 04349
Business: 207-897-3093
Cell: 207-931-7626

This list Maine GeoNews (GEOLIBRARY-L) is an unmoderated discussion list for all Maine GIS Users. If you no longer wish to receive e-mail from this list, you can remove your name and email address yourself at the this web address:

https://lists.maine.edu/cgi-bin/wa?SUBED1=GEOLIBRARY-L&A=1

Or, you may also request that your name be removed by sending email to: