-John Cleese
(The black knight turns 83 years old today!)

THE DAILY ASTRONOMER
Thursday, October 27, 2022
Four Quintillion Alien Spacecraft Around Our Solar System?!

Just for the benefit of those like myself who are bedeviled by the
proliferation of zeroes, four quintillion = 4,000,000,000,000,000,000

Wait!
Before you become hopelessly enraptured by yet another DA installment, go
outside and look up. Yes, we realize it is the middle of the day. As you
gaze put into the boundless vault of cerulean blue, take a moment to
contemplate the startling possibility that an incomprehensibly vast swarm
of extraterrestrial space vessels could at that very moment be darting,
weaving, buzzing, soaring, and zipping through our humble little niche
within the Orion-Cygnus arm of the Milky Way Galaxy. Do you see them? No,
of course not. They are concealed...far beyond the detection capabilities
of we Earthling yokels. Yet, up and out there they are, in staggering
numbers, numbers far larger than the current human population. And up there
they have been while we, utterly oblivious, have conceitedly wondered if we
were alone in the Universe. Well, not only are we not alone in the
Universe. We are surrounded by a crush of aliens like frightened tourists
on a Tokyo subway.

According to two Havard astronomers Carson Ezell and Abraham Loeb, this
could be a possibility. (They don't know with any certainty, of course.) In
September 2022 , Ezell and Loeb published a non-peer reviewed paper
entitled "The Inferred Abundance of Interstellar Objects of Technological
Origin."       In this paper they calculate that there could be as many as
4,000,000,000,000,000,000 alien spacecraft or spacecraft parts within and
outside our very own solar system.     Most are so small and far away as to
be undetectable.    Others, however, could be large enough and sufficiently
close to be found by the James Webb Space Telescope.  Provided, of course,
that they would be permitted telescope time to conduct their search (Good
luck.)        While that 4 quintillion figure is impressive, so, too, is
the volume of space separating the Sun from the nearest star system Alpha
Centauri.         Since the separation distance equals 4.37 light years,
the solar system has about 325 cubic light years of space to itself.

[image:
alien-mothership-spaceship-deep-space-ufo-spacecraft-flying-universe-planet-stars-rear-view-d-rendering-render-127064275.jpg]
Not only are we not alone, but we could live amidst a bustling swarm
of alien spacecraft numbering as high as four quintillion, a number so
large it sets off the spell-checker.  Nobody is asserting that these
vessels actually exist in such profusion, but, well, could.

This notion is entirely predicated on the arrival of that interstellar
interloper Oumuamua which glided through the inner solar system about five
years ago.   While most astronomers insist that this object was merely an
asteroid dislodged from another solar system, some believe it might have
literally been an alien spacecraft.   Perhaps a moribund vessel careening
aimlessly through the galaxy, crewed by corpses and one slovenly
Liverpudlian trapped in a 3-million year-long stasis.   Or, perhaps a
fragment of a craft that long ago detached from the mother ship and has
been tumbling through space ever since.          Granted, many scientists
dismiss this possibility out of hand.      We know interstellar space is
littered with comets and asteroids from other star systems, some of which
will happen to intersect with our solar system as they move through the
galaxy.   There was no evidence to suggest that Oumuamua, meaning "Scout"
in Hawaiian, was anything but a long thin rock.      Then again, there is
no evidence to suggest it wasn't.     Astronomers weren't able to
scrutinize it for long during its fleeting visitation.   Now that it is
moving rapidly away to other parts, it has moved well beyond our view.

The two astronomers based their calculation on the rate of interstellar
material detections.   We can confirm the discovery of four such objects
within the last eight years:   Oumuamua, the interstellar meteors CNEOS
2014-01-08 and CNEOS 2017-03-09 and the interstellar comet  Borisov.
Based on the frequency of these detections, the region in which those
objects were found and the extent of the space within and outside the solar
system, they estimate that as many as 40 decillion
(40,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000) objects well outside our
view to a comparatively minuscule 4,000,000,000,000,000,000 that could
venture into the inner solar system.      It should be noted that these
would not all be as large as Oumuamua.  Most would be small, as little as
three feet in diameter, and many would be fragments: pieces of alien craft
that are hurling through the inky black toward no destination in particular.

We should also point out that these numbers are highly speculative.   Ezell
and Loeb are not claiming that all those vessels and pieces of
technological flotsam are actually milling about. Instead, they are asking
us to accept the possibility that alien machinery is all around us: flying
in and out of our solar system like shadows passing in the night.  (Our
favorite hackneyed expression.)       This entire scenario is predicated on
the belief that life abounds in the galaxy in all directions and at various
stages of development.

We just don't know, yet.    However, if nothing else, the concept of all
these alien vessels and vessel parts floating through the sky gives us yet
another compelling reason to look up and realize that we're likely seeing a
fraction of a fraction of a fraction of all that exists around us.

https://lists.maine.edu/cgi-bin/wa?SUBED1=DAILY-ASTRONOMER&A=
<https://lists.maine.edu/cgi-bin/wa?SUBED1=DAILY-ASTRONOMER&A=1>