THE SOUTHWORTH PLANETARIUM
70 Falmouth Street      Portland, Maine 04103
(207) 780-4249      usm.maine.edu/planet
43.6667° N    70.2667° W
Founded January 1970
2022-2023: XXX
Sunrise: 7:09 a.m.
Sunset: 5:40 p.m.
Civil twilight ends: 6:10 p.m.
Sun's host constellation: Virgo the Maiden
Moon phase: Waxing crescent (2% illuminated)
Moonrise: 8:28 a.m.
Moonset: 6:21 p.m.
Julian date: 2459879.21
"Talking about music is like dancing about architecture."
-Martin Mull
or -Frank Zappa
or -Elvis Costello
or -Thelonius Monk
or -George Carlin
or -Miles Davis
or -Laurie Anderson
or -Abraham Lincoln
or -William Shakespeare
or -Socrates
or -Herodotus
or -Anonymous

THE DAILY ASTRONOMER
Wednesday, October 26, 2022
Space Speed

Let's rewind the clock a bit.
Approximately 13.82 billion years ago, what we regard as OUR Universe took
form out of an event dubbed "The Big Bang." (We'll delve far more deeply
into this seminal event when we resume our "Egg to Apple" series next
week.) This "bang" created space and caused it to first inflate and then
expand. When astronomers such as Edwin Hubble (1889-1953), Vesto Slipher
(1875-1969) and astronomer/priest Georges Lemaitre (1894-1966) first
developed the Big Bang model, they logically presumed that material within
the Universe would induce a dampening effect on that expansion. This
assumption provided the basis for three different cosmological models: one
in which the Universe expands forever; one in which the combined material
causes the Universe to slow to a standstill; and lastly a Universe that
stop, reverses and ultimately implodes in on itself.

Then, in the 1990, two astronomical research teams discovered, to
everyone's astonishment, that this expansion not only not slowing down, but
actually accelerating with time. Hence, the discovery of "dark energy," an
unknown force deemed responsible for this acceleration. Astronomers still
know precious little about this "dark energy," hence the word "dark,"
signifying our continued ignorance of it. What astronomers can know, and
have measured, is the speed at which this expansion occurs. They can
estimate this velocity by measuring the expansion between distant
supernovae. A recent measurement, however, has given many cosmologists
pause because it seems as though the cosmos is expanding far faster than
previously assumed.

[image: 0_J3HTaVVNhttUo3qb.jpg]

In a recent paper published in the Astrophysics Journal, a research team
studied 1,550 supernovae, some of which were located just beyond the Milky
Way and some were observed at the far reaches of the observable Universe.
While results of these studies provided further evidence in support of the
theory that three-fourths of the Universe consists of Dark Energy and
one-fourth of matter -most of which is dark matter-, it did determine that
the expansion speed is about 160,000 miles an hour. This speed is far
greater than that measured by using the Cosmic Microwave Background
radiation. Dillion Brout, co-author of this paper, stated that "potentially
something is fishy with our understanding of the Universe."

As we mentioned in yesterday's DA pertaining to the lightest neutron star
ever observed, more observations will be required to explain the
discrepancy. Why the Universe should be expanding more quickly than
previously believed remains a profound mystery. Of course, such mysteries
drive scientific progress. We could be close to the advent of a new
science, or, at least, a modification to the dark energy model.

We do know that the cosmos is growing faster than anyone would have
believed.  The ramifications of this higher speed remain unknown....for now.

https://lists.maine.edu/cgi-bin/wa?SUBED1=DAILY-ASTRONOMER&A=
<https://lists.maine.edu/cgi-bin/wa?SUBED1=DAILY-ASTRONOMER&A=1>