"In all chaos there is a cosmos, in all disorder a secret order."
-Carl Jung

THE DAILY ASTRONOMER
Thursday, September 1, 2022
Second Asteroid?

We return now to what has to be the single most famous event in all of
Earth's natural history: the 10-mile wide asteroid impact that devastated
the planet approximately 66 million years ago. This errant celestial
projectile gaugued out the 100-mile wide hole now known as the *Chicxulub
Crater, *located within the region now known as the Yucatan peninsula. Not
only did this blazing bullet from the wild black yonder annihilate the life
forms unfortunate enough to have been loitering within the impact vicinity.
It also cast off megatons of flaming debris that literally set the planet
afire while propelling enough particulate matter into the upper atmosphere
to precipitate an impact winter lasting the better part of a decade. That
deep freeze disrupted the photosynthetic process and ultimately led to the
extinction of 90% of the species then extant, including, most notably, the
non-avian dinosaurs. Fortunately, our ground-burrowing mammalian forbearers
persevered through this global climate crisis and survived. Once the
dominant dinosaurs had been dispatched, the mammals ascended into alpha
status which ultimately led to the rise of humans, the craftiest and most
mischievous of all the higher primates.*

This one asteroid impact is likely so well known because we partially owe
our existence to it. Perhaps, however, we should ascribe the rise of humans
to TWO asteroid impacts, not just one. According to a report recently
published in Science Advances, a research team has detected evidence of
what might be another impact crater located 400 kilometers off the west
African coast. The researchers, led by crater formation expert Dr. Veronica
Bray, detected this possible crater through use of acoustic waves
transmitted through a sea column, a common method of seafloor mapping.

[image: sciadv.abn3096-f1.jpg]

Dubbed the "Nadir Crater," in reference to an undersea volcano of the same
name, this possible impactor likely struck Earth around the same time as
the Chicxulub asteroid. Although this secondary asteroid was much smaller,
about 0.25 miles in diameter, it would have crashed into the sea at 20
kilometers per second (44, 739 miles per hour.) . The resultant disturbance
would have been equivalent to a magnitude 7 earthquake and caused tsunamis
to propagate across a wide region. The Nadir asteroid would have
contributed to the upswell of ejecta produced by the primary impactor.

If confirmed, this asteroid impact could solve a mystery that has been
bothering many planetary scientists since the discovery of the Chicxulub
event. They wondered how a single impact, albeit a powerful one, could have
resulted in a global conflagration and subsequent impact winter. The
Chicxulub asteroid, according to Bray, "might have had help."

This asteroid might have been a fragment that flaked off Chicxulub or it
could have been a binary companion that arrived around the same time. The
probability of it having been a separate, unrelated asteroid which just
happened to reach Earth at the same time is vanishingly small. Further
studies will be required to both determine if it was, indeed, an asteroid
and its relation to the Chicxulub object.

It is possible that we might need to thank not one, but two asteroids, for
ushering in our modern world. Further studies will be required to determine
if either the cause or effect will end up being the most disturbing.

*The "Egg to Apple" course will delve much more deeply into this event
sequence.

https://lists.maine.edu/cgi-bin/wa?SUBED1=DAILY-ASTRONOMER&A=1