Sunrise: 6:10 a.m.
Sunset: 7:08 p.m.
Civil twilight ends: 7:37 p.m.
Sun's host constellation: Leo the Lion
Moon phase: Waxing gibbous (80% illuminated)
Julian date: 2459829.16
"These are my principles. If you don't like them, I have others." -Groucho
Marx

THE DAILY ASTRONOMER Tuesday, September 6, 2022
September 2022 Sky Calendar Part I: The Stars

We've now reached the "numerated months," defined as those whose names are
based on numerical order rather than mythological characters/events or
historical figures. Let's review:

   - *January:* named after Janus, the god with two faces oriented in
   opposite directions. The younger face is directed toward the future, while
   the older face peers into the past. Janus is also the god of doorways. An
   apt name for the first month of the year.
   - *February: *named after Februus, the Roman god of purification or
   after Februa , the purification ritual performed in his honor. The second
   month was named after Februa simply because that was the time of year when
   these rites were performed.
   - *March:* named after Mars, the Roman counterpart to Ares, the god of
   war. Considering the weather we generally experience in March, naming it
   after the god of violence, tumult and madness seems quite appropriate
   - *April: *while the origin of this name is disputed, this month was not
   named for Aphrodite, goddess of love and beauty, as is often believed. It
   is likely that the month was named for the Latin term "aperio," meaning "to
   open" or "to bud," in reference to the first of the spring flowers that
   rise and unfurl their blossoms at this time.
   - *May: *named for Maia, the Roman goddess of growth and plants. Quite
   apropos.
   - *June: *named for Juno, the Roman counterpart to Hera, goddess of
   marriage. She was perhaps the most ironical of all deities, for this
   goddess of marriage was wed to Zeus, the most incorrigible of all
   philanderers. The long suffering Hera (Juno) lived in a state of perpetual
   rage due to her husband's all too frequent indiscretions. All the same,
   unlike her skirt-chasing spouse, Juno became the namesake of a month.
   - *July: *named for Julius Caesar, the first dictator of Rome. He was
   deified after his assassination and in apotheosis assumed an array of
   powers associated with his more mythological cohorts.
   - *August: *named for Augustus Caesar, the first emperor of what on his
   accession became Imperial Rome. The name "Augustus," itself, was a title
   conferred on him after assuming the role of Rome's only ruler. His original
   name was Octavian.
   - *September*: the "seventh" month, or so it was when March was
   designated as the year's first month. Although the switch to January as the
   year's first month was first decreed in the 2nd century BCE following a
   proposal approved in the Roman Senate, the new year was still often
   celebrated in March in many regions. Only after the Gregorian calendar
   reform in 1582 was January firmly established as the year's first month.
   - *October: *the "eighth" month
   - *November: *"the ninth" month
   - *December: *"the tenth" month.

We've entered the last third of the year, a time when the bright summer
constellations remain visible while the fainter autumn patterns ascend into
greater prominence. Before we proceed with an itemized list of significant
astronomical happenings, we'll devote some time to the constellations one
can easily observe this month.

*Along the Milky Way's Arc*
Finding the Summer Triangle is literally as easy as looking straight up in
the early evening.  This immense three-star pattern consisting of Vega,
Deneb and Altair begins the night directly overhead.  Vega, the brightest
of the three ST stars, marks the northern tip of Lyra, the lyre on which
the mythical Orpheus performed when he persuaded Hades and Persephone to
release the recently deceased Eurydice from the Underworld.    Altair, the
second brightest Summer Triangle star, forms the tail of Aquila the Eagle,
associated with Zeus who transformed himself into an eagle when he abducted
the beautiful youth Ganymede.    Deneb, which defines the Summer Triangle's
northeastern corner, represents the tail of Cygnus, the Swan whose form
Zeus assumed when he seduced Leda and by her sired the twin Pollux and
Helen.  (Yes, the same Helen whose eventual abduction precipitated the
Trojan War.)    Cygnus is also known as the "Northern Cross."   More people
have heard of the Southern Cross, which is only visible south of the 30th N
parallel.    However, for us, the Northern Cross hangs close to the zenith
in the September evening sky.

[image: 1_aJbFaH-LHvg4vQR4KyiwhQ.png]

The astronomical points of interest around the Summer Triangle are
innumerable. We'll choose only a couple. Albireo, the star at the other end
of the Northern Cross' longer axis from Deneb, appears as a single star.
However, when viewed telescopically, one observes its two components: one
golden yellow, the other sapphire blue. This stark color contrast, combined
with their comparatively wide angular separation (35" of arc) makes Albireo
one of the easiest double stars to see through even a small telescope.
Astronomers are not sure if this pair is a true, gravitationally bound
binary system or, instead, an optical double. If Albiero is a true binary,
the orbital period of both stars around their common barycenter must exceed
100,000 years!

[image: NewAlbireo.jpg]
Albireo, the gorgeous double star at the southern trip of the Northern
Cross. Located 214 light years from Earth, Albireo might be an optical
double (two stars that happen to be aligned along the same path, but are
not gravitationally bound to one another) or a real binary with a period
exceeding 100,000 years!

Provided your sky is reasonably dark, you'll notice what appears to be a
luminescent cloud band running through the Summer Triangle. The collective
light of thousands of stars within the Milky Way Galaxy's disc produce this
faint, but noticeable glow. We were to observe our home galaxy from an
external vantagepoint, it would appear as an immensely large "whirlpool" of
stars, defined technically as a *barred spiral*. The majority of its stars
move along the main disc spanning 100,000 light years. The "Milky Way" band
consists of part of this disc, in which the stellar density is so high that
the stars appear as a diffuse band of light as opposed to sharp points.

We'll follow this band in two directions: toward the northeast, where we'll
find Cassiopeia the Queen, and then toward the southwest where we'll see
Sagittarius the Archer.

Mythologically, the constellation Cassiopeia is associated with an ancient
Ethiopian queen of the same name. The W-shaped asterism comprising the
majority of the constellation represents the ill-fated queen seated on her
throne. Her audacious boast that her daughter Andromeda's beauty surpassed
even that of the Nereids, nymphs sacred to the ocean god Poseidon, so
enraged this deity that he summoned the monster Cetus from the ocean depths
to ravage her kingdom. She and her husband Cepheus learned that only by
sacrificing their daughter Andromeda to Cetus would they manage to
propitiate Poseidon. Fortunately, the warrior Perseus eventually slew the
creature and rescued their daughter. After her death Cassiopeia was hoisted
up into the sky as the constellation that bears her name. However, being
circumpolar, Cassiopeia describes wide circles through the northern sky so
that, at times, she suffers the indignity of having to sit upside down: a
particularly ignominious, yet arguably condign punishment for her
arrogance.

[image: Sun_from_Alpha_Centauri.png]
Alpha Centaurians would see our Sun as a bright star within the Cassiopeia
region.   Our parent star would appear as bright to them as Betelgeuse
appears to us.

One of the principal astronomical aspects of Cassiopeia pertains to the
Sun!   Any sky admiring aliens within the Alpha Centauri system -the
closest star to the Sun- would see the Sun close to the pattern we perceive
as Cassiopeia.    (Refer to the above image.)   In fact, our Sun would
appear to them as a magnitude 0.46 star (about as bright as Betelgeuse
appears to us) just off to the side of the W-asterism.     So, from their
perspective, we are all "in" Cassiopeia. Of course, if they exist and
assuming they have inscribed their mythological characters onto the night
sky, Cassiopeia won't be known to them.

At the southwestern part of this arc one will see Sagittarius the Archer,
part of the *zodiac, *defined as the retinue of thirteen constellations
through which the Sun appears to travel throughout the year.     The Sun
"occupies" the Sagittarius region between December 18 - January 18.
 Currently, Sagittarius begins the night low in the southwestern sky.

[image: the-teapot.jpg]

Most of Sagittarius' stars are located within the "teapot" asterism
consisting of a handle, lid and a spout.  Mythologically, Sagittarius is
associated with Nessus, the centaur who was killed by Heracles after the
former attempted to kidnap  Deianira.   As he lay dying after having been
shot by one of Heracles' arrows, Nessus  persuaded Deianira to conceal a
bit of the centaur's blood in a phial by explaining that such blood served
as a strong love potion.    "If you worry that your husband's affections
are waning," Nessus said while the furious Heracles approached them, "smear
this blood on his cloak and he will be devoted to you forever."   Deianira
managed to hide the phial just before Heracles arrived to finish off the
centaur.  A few years later, Deianira became desperately afraid that
Heracles had fallen out of love with her as he had lately been quite cool
and distant.  She slathered the blood on his cloak while he slept and was
horrified to see him put on the cloak and start screaming in the most
excruciating agony.  The centaur blood was actually a lethal poison.  Or,
it would have been lethal to any mortal.  As Heracles had become  immortal
after the completion of his labors, he couldn't die.   However, such was
the intensity of his torment, that Heracles begged Zeus to rescind the
immortality.  Sadly, the god complied with the demand and Heracles promptly
jumped on a lit funeral pyre and perished.   The remorseful Deianira threw
herself on the same flames that consumed her husband.   Therefore, Nessus
was credited with having killed Heracles a few years after the creature,
himself, had died.

Sagittarius also marks the location of the galaxy's center, called the
*nucleus,
*located about 26,000 light years from Earth.      Within this nucleus one
would find Sagittarius A*, a supermassive black hole about four million
times more massive than the Sun.   One would also encounter a vast array of
globular clusters swarming along the *halo*, the spherical region centered
on the nucleus.    Unlike galactic, or open, clusters, globulars tend to be
immensely large, spanning hundreds or thousands of light years and old,
sometimes on the order of 12 -13 billion years, They also harbor huge
stellar populations, in the hundreds of thousands or, in extreme cases,
millions of stars.  These aged objects loiter around the galactic halo,
they are only found within a specific region of the sky aligned with the
halo, such as the area encompassing Sagittarius.

[image: M22HunterWilson.jpg]
M22: a globular cluster located 10,000  light years from Earth and one of
the many such clusters found within Sagittarius.

Although we can't see these massive clusters, be well assured that they're
moving along multi-million year long orbits deep within the dark fields of
Sagittarius.

Part II tomorrow.

https://lists.maine.edu/cgi-bin/wa?SUBED1=DAILY-ASTRONOMER&A=1