"Worrying is like paying a debt you don't owe."
-Mark Twain

THE DAILY ASTRONOMER
Tuesday, September 27, 2022
Egg to Apple - A Guide to Big History III - Thresholds Part II

From this point on, we'll focus on Earth and the human race.  In our
defense,  this planet is the only one on which we know life exists.   While
we are confident that life proliferates in the galaxy and Universe, our
knowledge of that life is limited to merely one example.      In time, we
will come to know of life elsewhere and as this knowledge expands to life
forms at various locations, we'll be able to incorporate the information
about these other races into our thresholds.

*THRESHOLD FIVE:  LIFE*
As far as we know, life might have started on Earth about 3.8 billion years
ago: almost as soon as conditions were conducive to its development.
 Although the planet formed about 4.5 billion years ago, its thin,
fractured crust lay upon a fire-red molten interior that often shone
through fissures lacerating its surface. Moreover, the planet was brutally
battered by unrelenting onslaught of smaller bodies during a period known
as the Great Bombardment.      Only when these assaults abated
sufficiently, around the same time the crust cooled enough to produce a
stable membrane, did the first life  forms develop on Earth.

How life formed and the precise time of this formation remains unknown.
However, evidence suggests that the first objects we could describe as
"living" appeared about 3.8 billion years ago.   These were the truly
primordial cells, the prokaryotes.

[image: shutterstock-1696725337.webp]
An idealized image of our antecedent: the ancestor of all the life forms
currently thriving on this planet.      Smaller than the eukaryotes, the
prokaryotic cell lacked a nucleus or organelles that most cells now
contain.     They were, however, encapsulated in a cell wall, or membrane
that separated them from their surroundings.         This little object,
ladies and gentlemen, occupies the very first rung of the life ladder.
 This minuscule creature, as far as we know, marks the end point of any
creatures' genealogy.

The prokaryotes were followed by the eukaryotes, cells with well defined
nuclei and organelles.   These cells would ultimately give rise the
staggering diversity of life we now observe on our planet.    Throughout
the billions of years of evolution, life forms have divided into three
Domains:  Bacteria, Archaea and Eukaryota.  (We animals fall into the third
category.)    From there the life forms are subdivided into six kingdoms:
Animalia, Plantae, Fungi, Protista, Archaea/Archabacteria and
Bacteria/Eubacteria.   From there the subdivisions expand exponentially:
phylum, class, order, family, genus and species.

[image: Eukaryota_diversity_1.JPG]

Threshold Five is a vast Universe in and of itself.    Throughout natural
history, more than four billion species have developed on our planet.
Presently, scientists estimate that about 10 million still exist.     From
the grey wolf to sequoia; the honey bee to hippopotamus, life seems very
much the consummate artist equipped with an inexhaustible palette.
We'll have plenty to occupy ourselves once we reach this threshold.

And now we focus on one species:

Kingdom: Animalia
Phylum: Chordata
Class:  Mammalia
Order:  Primates
Family: Hominidae
Genus:  Homo
Species: Sapiens

Human beings.
Although some might describe this focus as conceited as it is myopic, we
argue  that humans have proven to be of the utmost importance.    We've
transformed this world more profoundly than any other  species.   We were
the first to launch off its surface and presumably will become the first to
explore other planets and star systems.      Remember that our aim is to
understand how amalgamations of stardust managed  to develop into human
brains and its variegated products.    We must now narrow our focus  to the
human.

*THRESHOLD SIX:  COLLECTIVE LEARNING/HUMANS*
Remember when we started this course we asked you to remove your shoes?
Now, we ask you to pick up a book, any book, no matter what it is.   It
could be "Critical Theory Since Plato," "Gravity's Rainbow," or "Bimbos of
the Death Sun."  No matter the title, the point is that by holding that
book you have access to the words and ideas of another human being that
have been preserved in such a way so as to persist even after the
originator  of those ideas perish.

[image: Historical_Writing_Systems.jpg]

Although conveyance of information through oral communication occurred
about 150,000 years ago: 100,000 years or so after the appearance of homo
sapiens, writing systems proved a more reliable means of preserving
information.       It is now believed that writing independently developed
in different regions throughout the world, not just Mesopotamia, as once
thought.  The technology which enabled people to inscribe thoughts arose
about 5,000 - 6,000 years ago with the development, for instance, of the
cuneiform script used to transcribe words in various languages such as
Sumerian, Hittite, Uratian and Luwian.*

Today, more than one hundred thousand books are published every day and
millions of words are posted on web-sites everyday throughout the world.
  Human communicate in more than 7,000 languages that are constantly
changing and evolving.

Despite this proliferation, writing is a recent development.   If we could
reduce the timeline of the human race to one year, writing would have
developed around December 22nd.       Yet, writing is essential for
collective learning for people today can benefit from the works, thoughts
and ideas of those who  have long since perished.

*THRESHOLD SEVEN:  AGRICULTURE*
Food.   A necessity for all living beings.    The advent of agriculture:
the ability to cultivate plant matter in such a way as to provide
nourishment to communities enabled the establishment of permanent
settlements as the lifestyles of hunter-gatherers is necessarily
itinerant.     Farming, the practice by which seeds could be sown and crops
harvested annually could sustain villages and hamlets of ever increasing
size as those who worked the land developed more efficient ways of growing
food.   Eventually, when these food stores became plentiful enough to
exceed the demands of a given society, some  citizens within that society
were free to follow other pursuits that didn't relate the material survival
of their communities.

When survival was assured through the labor of others, some engaged in more
abstract endeavors such as philosophical pursuits: contemplations related
to aspects of existence beyond the  material.       Ruling classes also
emerged and with them emperors, kings and all manner of rulers: malignant,
benign or somewhere in between.  Agriculture gave rise to the societal
differentiations that remain with us especially today when such a small
percentage of citizens are involved in food cultivation.

It must also be noted that the cycle of planting and harvesting
necessitated an accurate reckoning of seasonal transitions which, in part,
gave rise to the practice of astronomy:  watching the sky to observe the
migrations of the star patterns which were consistent throughout the year.

*THRESHOLD EIGHT:  THE MODERN REVOLUTION*
The modern world.
It is almost beyond dispute that what we term the "modern world" was made
possible by the exploitation of fossil fuels.      Burn a tree and one can
release much of the solar energy that it absorbed through the century or
two of its life.  Burn coal and oil and one can tap into solar energies
accumulated over millions of years.       Combine this with the scientific
revolution following the enlightenment -a revolution that enabled humans to
devise rigid structures and complex machineries- and one can observe how
these factors conspired to ultimately create the megacities of modern day.**

[image: SL-19-3-image.webp]

In this course, we will be moving through each threshold to understand the
mechanisms involved to transform the simplest gases into heavier elements
into star-orbiting worlds in which the most primitive cells evolved into
the unfathomably complex humans that constructed the ultra-modern urban
centers that now pockmark our world.

We will also come to learn the consequences of our endeavors and how we can
attempt to counteract them.       This is the over-aching story of
existence:  that which is responsible for everything today and which will
be responsible for that which has not yet occurred.

*In reference to the mythological section of "Egg to Apple,"  Luwian was
likely the primary language of the region known as Troy.

**Megacities are defined as those with populations exceeding 10 million
people.  The United States has only two such cities:  New York City and Los
Angeles.
*EGG TO APPLE III: ERIS - THE WEDDING CRASHER*

[image: Eris_Antikensammlung_Berlin_F1775.jpg]
Eris, the Greek goddess of discord, was trouble with a capital P. Unlike
most people saddled with a sullied reputation, Eris earned hers a hundred
and one times over. She was, after all, the goddess of discord, also known
as the personification of strife. One could ascribe every human
disturbance, from the passing tiffs that perturb the tender love of
newlyweds to the tectonic tumults of continent-wide conflicts, to that
dastardly daughter of night and shadow (a.k.a. Nyx and Erebus). She was the
chattering, gossiping, conniving, finger-pointing, giggling, maliciously
mischievous relative at the picnic weaving a meandering path of tears,
shock and red faced grimaces in her wake. She was the suppurating, burbling
sea of toxic froth in the comment sections under blog posts; the one-star
review; the stinging proposal rejection; the awkward silence during comedy
routines; every censorious glare, persistent misapprehension, rankling
injustice and festering bitterness. She diminished every joy, deepened
every sorrow, intensified every skirmish, and derived the greatest delight
from casting all relationships asunder. Understandably, she had neither
temples nor admirers. Nor did she care to have any. She wanted nothing more
than strife, discord, and undying enmity among all.

Is it any wonder she was the only one excluded from the wedding party held
for Peleus and Thetis, a gathering grander than any since that held for
Zeus and Hera. Almost everyone was invited: every Olympian, minor deity and
demigod. Even spirits of rivers, mountains, trees and meadows were
summoned. Only one, Eris, was told to keep away. Of course, had Eris been
an introspective sort, she might have pondered on the matter and realized
that hers was an understandable exclusion. She likely would have sullied
the whole affair like a meal-befouling harpy.

However, Eris was decidedly not an introspective sort. This slight
infuriated her beyond measure and she was determined to avenge it. She
swiftly went to the Garden of Hesperides to fetch one of the golden apples.
These gilded fruits were the most enchantingly beautiful orbs to ever spout
out of any Earth-rooted tree. Now, we know that a fearsome dragon stood
guard over those apples and was known to ferociously defend them against
anyone foolish enough to infiltrate the garden. How she managed to elude
him and steal an apple is a mystery. Of course, when the dragon watched
Eris approaching, he might have said, "Oh Hell, not her," and flown away.
Be that as it may, she did manage to steal an apple. While standing just
outside the wedding gathering, Eris attached a parchment reading "for the
fairest" to the apple and then threw it into the crowd.

[image: 6332.jpg]
Wedding of Peleus and Thetis

Ordinarily, an errant projectile cast into a crowd causes little stir.
However, when that glistening apple fell into the wedding party, the happy
chatter pervading the ensemble diminished and then quickly subsided
altogether. Everyone who caught sight of it was stunned into silence. This
silence became rather tense when the three most powerful goddesses, Hera,
Athena and Aphrodite, all came forward to claim the apple. For awhile, the
three stood over the coveted prize and glared at each other. Eventually,
Hera broke the silence by saying, "Let us allow Zeus to decide." Although
Athena and Aphrodite both scoffed at the idea, for Zeus was Hera's husband,
they could think of no better idea to settle the dispute and relented.

However, when they approached Zeus and demanded that he decide which of
them should receive the apple, he firmly declined. He well knew the
Olympian character - vain, spiteful, unforgiving- and realized that by
choosing one goddess he could incur the implacable hatred of the other two.
(And considering that they were all immortal, those two would have a long
time to hold the grudge). "I have another idea," Zeus said, deftly avoiding
his wife's furious glare, "Let us have someone else decide."
"Who, dear husband?" Hera demanded.
"Hera, my Love, I know the perfect person and, if I am not mistaken, he is
out tending his flock." "A shepherd?" Athena spat. "Are you in jest?" "Not
in the slightest, dearest Athena. His name is Paris and is known for his
honesty and integrity. He will serve as the perfect judge."
"Handsome, as well?" Aphrodite asked.
"Excruciatingly," Zeus replied.
Aphrodite smirked. "Then, let us go see this shepherd."
Zeus breathed a deep sigh of relief when the three goddesses vanished. As
he turned his attention back to the other gatherers, all of whom resumed
their respective conversations, Zeus was convinced that he had behaved
judiciously and thought no more of the matter. At the same time Eris
laughed silently to herself and departed. She knew that she had caused a
stir and in so doing avenged herself against those who excluded her. How
much happier she would have been had she realized that she had just set the
stage for the greatest war the world had ever known.