THE SOUTHWORTH PLANETARIUM
70 Falmouth Street      Portland, Maine 04103
(207) 780-4249      usm.maine.edu/planet
43.6667° N    70.2667° W  Altitude:  10 feet below sea level Founded
January 1970
2021-2022: CXIV
"Not only is the Universe stranger than we think, it is stranger than we
can think." -Werner Heisenberg

THE DAILY ASTRONOMER Thursday, April 28, 2022
The Darwinian Universe

You are here.
Yes, we're stating the obvious.
However, the fact that you are here: breathing, thinking, living,thriving,
eating, drinking, working, loving and existing with rapturous abandon
constitutes a miracle of improbabilities. You are here because your
antecedents were sufficiently strong and so well suited to their respective
environments that they survived their reckless youths and then experienced
an exquisite procreational period. Many humans, alas, did not. Moreover,
most species (about 99%) that once wandered our sometimes-severe Mother
Earth also perished due to the merciless evolutionary process.

Is it possible that this same pitiless process operates on the cosmological
scale? Well, that is the basis of the "Darwinian Universe" hypothesis.
Here's the rub.
A black hole forms and produces an entirely new Universe. This child
Universe, for lack of a better term, might be quite similar to the parent
Universe or entirely different. For instance, its fundamental physical
forces might be stronger, weaker or its forces might be utterly unlike
those that operate within the parent Universe. The child Universe might
implode in on itself within a micro-second, if the gravitational force were
stronger or its matter might never coalesce to form galaxies, stars and
planets if the gravity were weaker. So, in the first instance, the spawned
Universe would perish in its infancy. In the second instance, the Universe
would persist for eons, but wouldn't form any black holes and so couldn't
produce offspring.

Only those Universes with the right conditions would be capable of forming
stars. Those Universes would also produce black holes, which, in turn,
would produce offspring Universes. How many black holes could produce
viable Universes capable of reproduction? Who's to say? It might be just
one in a billion. That might seem extreme, but nature shows us otherwise.
Remember that the sperm cell that resulted in you swam upstream in the
company of millions of less fortunate competitors.

Our cosmos has likely produced trillions of black holes. After all, the
Milky Way's estimated black hole population exceeds 100 million. If this
Darwinian Universe hypothesis is correct -which we might never prove- then
our own Universe perhaps has given rise to many Universes that will produce
others that, themselves, will also spawn others, ad infinitum. And, yes,
this means that our own Universe just happened to form out of a black hole
in another Universe.

While this notion sounds appealing, particularly to those who are
uncomfortable with the prospect that our own Universe stands alone and all
its parameters were finely tuned, it doesn't address the question of how
physical reality started. How was the first Universe formed? Or, is it even
correct to discuss "first Universes?" Like all origin myths and theories,
the "Darwinian Universe" hypothesis has little to say about the actual
beginning of anything.

However, next time you observe a swarm of helicopter seeds fluttering down
from a maple tree or the next time you see a green haze along your car's
hood, realize that you're watching the same reproductive process that might
well be operating on the grandest scale of all: that of infinitely
replicating multiverses.

Deep breath.

By the way, just so you know, we are glad you're here.

https://lists.maine.edu/cgi-bin/wa?SUBED1=DAILY-ASTRONOMER&A=1