while only having to pass through one country." (Answer at the end of the
article.)

THE DAILY ASTRONOMER
Monday, April 4, 2022
April 2022 Night Sky Calendar Part I

April is the cruelest month, you say!
Forsooth! (True, we have no idea what 'forsooth' means, but, heavens that
word certainly adds some literary oomph to even the silliest articles.)
How could one call the fourth month anything but sublimely lovely and as
full of hope and potential as a berry is gravid with nectar and
nourishment. We're wicking away the last vestiges of winter (i.e.
sub-freezing nights, assailing gusts, and slowly melting plow mounds that
resemble charcoal-coated mountain ranges) and moving inexorably into
mid-spring warm's embrace. While the winter constellations Taurus, Orion
and Canis Major descend in the west, the summer stars, such as those
comprising the Summer Triangle, are slowly ascending in the evening. The
same celestial cycles that have shifted the seasonal constellations from
center stage to the western exit continue to churn with comforting
predictability.

Part one of our night sky calendar begins with a new moon, which, we know,
has already passed!

*FRIDAY, APRIL 1: NEW MOON* How appropriate to begin the month with a new
moon. Now, the lunar cycle's progression will directly follow that of the
month. We shouldn't forget that the word "month" is based on "moonth," in
reference to the duration of one moon cycle. Lunation cycle 1228 begins.
Since the new moon occurs on the first day of April, we'll experience
another new moon this month. Whereas the second full moon in one month is
known as a "blue moon," the second new moon in one month is called a "black
moon."

*SATURDAY, APRIL 2: MERCURY AT SUPERIOR CONJUNCTION*
Have you noticed that Mercury seems to pass into conjunction quite often?
First, Mercury can pass into either *inferior conjunction*, when it passes
between the Sun and Earth and *superior conjunction,* when it passes to the
far side of the Sun relative to Earth. All the other planets, except Venus,
can only pass into superior conjunction. Also, Mercury completes an orbit
once every 88 Earth days! However, because Earth moves as well, the time
period between successive superior conjunctions - or successive inferior
conjunctions- equals about 116 days. Divide that value, known as
Mercury's *synodic
period,* by two and Mercury will move into conjunction every 58 days
approximately.
The remaining Mercurian conjunctions in 2022 are as follows:

   - May 21 Inferior conjunction
   - July 16 Superior conjunction
   - Sept 23 Inferior conjunction
   - Nov 8 Superior conjunction

*TUESDAY, APRIL 5: MARS 0.3 DEGREES SE OF SATURN (Bronze event!)*
Both Mars and Saturn rise just before 3 a.m. in the eastern sky! Although
they are almost equally bright (Mars magnitude: 1.0; Saturn magnitude:
0.9), one can distinguish between these two worlds by their colors. While
Saturn appears yellowish, Mars exudes a distinctive reddish hue due to the
iron oxide in its soil. This morning, telescope viewers can observe them
both simultaneously. Those who observe them with just the unaided eye will
see them appearing to draw close to one another. Naturally, this apparent
proximity is illusory. Mars is currently 166 million miles from Earth;
Saturn's distance from Earth will equal 975 million miles today. The night
sky never reveals depth.

*THURSDAY, APRIL 7: MOON AT APOGEE* The moon reaches the farthest point
from Earth in this orbit. Our natural satellite will stray 404,438
kilometers from Earth on this date.

*SATURDAY, APRIL 9: FIRST QUARTER MOON*
A full moon that occurs when the moon is at or near perigee is called a *super
moon*. A full moon which happens around the time of apogee is known as a *micro
moon*. A first quarter moon that directly follows or immediately precedes
apogee is called, well, a first quarter moon that directly follows or
immediately precedes apogee. We haven't yet coined a term for this type of
moon. Perhaps we could call a first quarter moon occuring near apogee a
*nickel* moon, as it is smaller than a usual quarter. Or, perhaps we could
just leave it be and focus on something important.

*TUESDAY, APRIL 12: JUPITER 0.1 DEGREES NNW OF NEPTUNE*
No, Neptune isn't visible....even to those eagle-eyed astronomical types
who assert that, given a dark clear sky and ample adaptation time, they
could spy churning granules on Sirius B, which, incidentally, doesn't have
any. Neptune lies hidden to those who scan the firmament with unaided eyes.
However, tonight, Jupiter, which, at magnitude -2.1 is bright enough to
pass Calculus tests without any preparation, will appear to veer close to
the eighth world. Mind you, Jupiter is 2.3 billion miles closer to us than
Neptune and so appears 10.469 times brighter!

*SATURDAY, APRIL 16: FULL MOON!*
The Pink Moon rises. No, that is not just another color name like blue moon
or black moon. That is the term often applied to the first full moon in
spring. Why? Well, perhaps it is in reference to the vibrant buds and
flowers that are are dabbling the landscape or, perhaps, to the color of
our appendages which are finally starting to receive blood flow after four
months of the life-imperiling cold that caused the majority of our blood
supply to migrate toward our vital organs.
The land is thawing out, and so are we. Hence, the ascent of the pink moon!

PART II tomorrow.

ONE LAST FACT OR FOOL:
*One can walk between Norway and North Korea while only having to pass
through one country.* FACT!   Yes, one can walk from Norway to North Korea
while only having to pass through Russia.  Mind you, it would be a darn
long walk and you might want to go in the opposite direction.

https://lists.maine.edu/cgi-bin/wa?SUBED1=DAILY-ASTRONOMER&A=1