Hello Maine GeoLibrary Data Catalog Consumers,

The Maine GeoLibrary is seeking assistance collecting snow and leaf conditions around the state. Nearly 21,000 square miles are scheduled to be flown for imagery and data collection projects. Our contractor crews need assistance in tracking the change in conditions so they can fly missions moving south to north as the snow melts and before leaves are in bloom. We have deployed a simple-to-use survey application that will assist in mapping and visualizing the change in conditions between now and May 31st. Using a standard browser on a computer (we recommend Google Chrome), tablet device, or smartphone, you can access the survey from our public site at https://survey123.arcgis.com/share/47f25b540e5242af80ed5af0b70a5b5e and answer a few simple questions about your location. The survey can be completed in less than 2 minutes, including the option to include photos. We are also accepting reports emailed to [log in to unmask].

We ask for no personally identifiable information and your data remains secure once submitted. The following screenshots show how easy it is to report your local conditions.

Step 1: Once you have loaded the survey on your browser, select the date (day/month/year) of your condition report.

Screenshot of an online survey question for the Maine GeoLibrary 2022 Spring Ground Conditions. The question asks the user to fill in the date of their survey report by clicking a small calendar icon.

Step 2: Enter the address of your location. Click on the icon that looks like a magnifying glass and the survey will map this location. If you are using a device with GPS tracking enabled, the application will register your location’s latitude and longitude. Alternatively, you can click and drag on the map to manually pan and zoom to the location of your report; then click on the map to place the blue locator pin.

Screenshot of the second survey question, which presents a map showing roads, building outlines, and place labels. There is a toolbar that allows users to type in an address and search its location automatically on the map.

Step 3: Tell us if your area still has snow on the ground. If you select the “Yes” button the form will open a box where you may enter a brief description such as “Several inches covering everywhere” or “Just piles from the snowplow hanging on.” You can also load a photo either from an existing file or, if you allow access, the application can take a photo with your device’s camera.

Screenshot of the third survey question, asking whether there is snow on the ground. If yes, users need to fill in a general location description and have the option to add a photo.

Step 4: Tell us if leaves are starting to develop and at what stage. Again, you will be provided the option to load a photo showing the typical scene around you. Don’t forget to hit the submit button when you have filled in the last of your information and images.

Screenshot of the fourth survey question, asking about leaf conditions with four options: budding in progress; buds turning into leaves; leaves turning green; or no leaves. Users can add a photo as well.

Please feel free to share this message with your colleagues and friends. We truly appreciate the public assistance in helping our teams gather the imagery and data that is used to support state and local activities ranging from emergency response planning to community development to transportation improvements.

Thank you for your support of the Maine GeoLibrary and its projects.

Sincerely,

Emily Pettit
GIS Coordinator

Maine Office of GIS
https://www.maine.gov/megis/

----------------------------------------------------------------------- This list Maine GeoNews (GEOLIBRARY-L) is an unmoderated discussion list for all Maine GIS Users. If you no longer wish to receive e-mail from this list, you can remove your name and email address yourself at the this web address:

https://lists.maine.edu/cgi-bin/wa?SUBED1=GEOLIBRARY-L&A=1

Or, you may also request that your name be removed by sending email to: