"They say the Universe is expanding. That should help with the traffic."
-Stephen Wright

THE DAILY ASTRONOMER
Monday, March 14, 2022
Aurora ALERT!

No, this time we didn't make a mistake. We also didn't experience the type
of space-time laceration that so often affects the Daily Astronomer. We are
sending Monday's DA today because we want you to observe the night sky
tonight, tomorrow and perhaps even the next day. Why, you might have asked
if you hadn't already seen the article title?

Because if you live north of the mid-latitudes, you might well observe an
aurora borealis! As you sit there indulging your unhealthy DA addiction,
charged particles expelled by the Sun in a coronal mass ejection are
slamming the planet's magnetic field broadsides to produce a G-2 class
geomagnetic storm. While we don't believe this event will adversely affect
our electronic infrastructure, it should produce an auroral oval that could
extend down toward southern New England or even beyond.
[image: fullhalo_opt.gif]
A coronal mass ejection emitted by the Sun on March 10th and 11th has now
reached Earth and might produce an aurora event visible tonight and
tomorrow night.

Granted, aurora event prognosticators tend to gulp a bit when announcing
their forecasts because "northern lights" exhibitions are notoriously
difficult to predict, unlike eclipses or transits. They can only speak in
terms of probabilities. That having been said, we suspect, um, that an
aurora event is quite likely tonight or tomorrow.

Aurorae occur when charged solar particles excite atoms in the upper
atmosphere. An atom is excited when one of its electrons is elevated to a
higher energy state. When the electron returns to its original state -which
generally happens quite quickly- it will emit a photon, the energy of which
equals the energy difference between the original and excited state. We
remember that energy is a zero-sum game in the Universe. It can neither be
created nor destroyed, but merely changes form.*
We strongly encourage you to venture outside tonight and/or tomorrow night
and gaze skyward. Perhaps you will behold the gorgeous spectacle of a
northern lights display. Remember also that Northern Lights displays are
destined to become less frequent as a consequence of the north magnetic
pole's ill-advised migration from Canada into Russia. We should seize every
opportunity to witness an aurora.

*Yes, we know that nuclear fusion reactions convert matter into energy.
However, these reactions don't "create energy," but instead transmute in
from its material form

https://lists.maine.edu/cgi-bin/wa?SUBED1=DAILY-ASTRONOMER&A=1

<https://www.google.com/gmail/about/policy/>
<https://www.google.com/>