                “May I say that I have not thoroughly enjoyed serving with Humans? I find their illogic and foolish emotions a constant irritant.”
                                            -Mr Spock

THE DAILY ASTRONOMER
Monday, March 21, 2022
Dark Mournings: Daylight Savings Time...Forever?

Earlier this month, we all dutifully abandoned Standard Time in favor of Daylight Savings Time, an infernal contrivance devised by Benjamin Franklin to exact revenge against a country that didn't appoint him President. Now, BF's devilish time-distorting and depression-facilitating device, which traditionally encompassed only part of the year, might be made permanent, if a bill that is currently trudging through the serpentine intestines of DC becomes law.

Dubbed the "The Sunshine Protection Act," -despite the previous five billion years in which the sunshine confronted no perils- this bill recently passed the Senate and the legislation will now move to the House of Representatives. If approved in that chamber, the Sunshine Protection Act would then have to be signed into law by President Biden.

Now, perhaps you're thinking: what on (or off) Earth does this legislation have to do with astronomy?! Heavens! Time reckoning has always been an astronomical matter. Moreover, some people have asked if the US government will actually produce more sunlight! Of course, it won't. We humans haven't yet figured out a way to improve the Sun like we've improved every other aspect of the natural world. Provided this legislation passes, the only change will involve clock settings in relation to Sun rise and settings.

And, what will the ramifications be if it does pass?

We would still revert back to Standard Time this autumn: specifically, November 6th. However, next year, we'd abandon Standard time and then never return to it. Daylight Savings Time would remain....forever.

Here in Portland, that would mean that the Sun will NEVER set before 5 p.m. again. The earliest sunset here occurs around December 14th, Presently, the Sun sets at 4:04 p.m. EST. However, assuming the Sunshine Protection Act becomes law, the earliest sunset will occur at 5:04 p.m. Since the sky remains bright during civil twilight, darkness won't ever descend on us before 5:40 p.m.

HOWEVER....life becomes darker in the morning!
The latest sunrise in Portland occurs around January 8th. Presently, the sunrise time is 7:14 a.m. If Daylight Savings time becomes permanent, the sun will rise at 8:14 a.m on that date In fact, the Sunlight Protection Act would cause the Sun to rise on or after 8 a.m. from December 6th to January 30th each year!
Since keeping voters in the dark has been a long standing Washington tradition, we can well understand the legislation's popularity.

Summer sunrise and sunset times would remain the same, of course, because we're always in daylight savings time during that season.

Whether or not this legislation becomes law is anyone's guess. We have our own opinions, but fortunately we are far too professional to ever let such opinions insinuate themselves into these articles.

Will DST become eternal like that shore leave tattoo that remains regrettably indelible despite the most desperate efforts at erasure? We'll soon find out.