"It is good to love the unknown."
-Charles Lamb

THE DAILY ASTRONOMER
Thursday, February 10, 2022
Stars on the Window

They appear when you light a candle and place it next to the ice encrusted
glass. How like an intricate spider's web it seems: a labyrinth of
glistening crystals. They are simple water droplets trapped in a winter's
sleep. At the first touch of the spring Sun they'll awaken and with a
silent swoop ascend into the chilled blue sky. Soon those drops will once
again slide down tropical waterfalls and splash about in gushing rapids.
Right now, however, they're nestling together to dream away a dormant
night.

You should be dreaming now, Miranda, but you're not. Instead you're
silhouetted against the celestial lights. A small head peering up into the
night world. A perfect cherub, your little bulging cheek arcs made lustrous
by moonlight. My stern lecture about the prudence of sufficient sleep was
to no avail. The cosmos summoned you and and for now you yearn to be part
of the midnight realm. No matter. I can sleep at work.

Look. If we blow gently at the candle flame, the stars on the window will
dance and twinkle, just as the real stars do in response to the breaths of
planet Earth.

But, how to explain them?

Look at the sparkles along the snow. Let's spread our arms out over the
lawn to turn the world into a sphere of glass. We now see as many stars
below as above.

How easily could we pluck them from the sky and pick them off the ground to
bejewel the bedroom?
Not at all.
If we drove in our car for a hundred full lifetimes one after another
toward the closest one, at the end it would still be little more than a
bright pinpoint of light.

But, they're so small. We could cup them in our hands like diamonds.
Not at all.
Some are so large that if they were put in the Sun's place, we, here in
this house, would be tucked away deep inside them: tens of millions of
miles below their surfaces.

But, we feel no heat from them. They're so cold.
Not at all. They are other Suns casting furious heat onto their own worlds,
awakening the water droplets and making them fly. We don't feel their heat
for the same reason we don't feel the flames of the hearth fires currently
burning in cozy Arctic homes.

Blow out the candle and the stars on the window will vanish. We could blow
on the stars and they would wink out of sight.
Not at all.
Think of a world's age: the time that passes between Earth's formation out
of the swarm of planetesimals five billion years ago to the time when it
will become a cinder billions of years from now. Take a hundred of those
world's ages one after another after another. At the end of the last one,
most of the stars would still remain, albeit in middle age. Not old, mind
you. Middle aged stars still bristle with vitality, just like middle aged
humans do, provided they aren't sleep deprived.

But, there is nothing around them. They are blinking at us in emptiness.
Not at all.
Put your ear to the floor and listen. Can you hear that? The swoosh and
slide of dog sleds running across the tundra far away in the perpetual
Polar night. Hear our neighbor's wind chimes coaxing harmony out of the
winds. Now look through the glass Earth below to Sydney and Tokyo and
Jakarta: bustling, unsleeping, growing and pulsing. Life. Life in every
nook, niche and cranny within a tiny hollow around the Sun. Who knows how
many such hollows have formed around those other stars? How many other
beings are out of bed and admiring the boundless star fields above?

You're not listening to a word I say.
You're watching and thinking.
Real stardust fashioned your eyes that now look upon those stars; the same
stardust that formed the brain striving to comprehend them. So, you're
trying in some manner to rejoin with the source...at 1:15 in the morning.

Ok, Miranda, you continue to engage in the purest form of astronomy and I
will lie back and watch the stars on the window. One of us is bound to fall
asleep eventually.

https://lists.maine.edu/cgi-bin/wa?SUBED1=DAILY-ASTRONOMER&A=1