THE SOUTHWORTH PLANETARIUM
70 Falmouth Street      Portland, Maine 04103
(207) 780-4249      usm.maine.edu/planet
43.6667° N    70.2667° W  Altitude:  10 feet below sea level Founded January 1970
2021-2022: LXXXIV
"The British constitution has always been puzzling and always will be." -Queen Elizabeth II

THE DAILY ASTRONOMER Friday, February 18, 2022
Quiz # 20: The Queen's Platinum Jubilee!

_____________________
Dedicated with infinite affection to my beloved wife, Susan, who, as a Canadian, was raised as a subject, but in adulthood, is mostly now a verb.
______________________

800px-Queen_Elizabeth_II_in_March_2015.jpg
Today, we celebrate Queen Elizabeth II's platinum jubilee! Yes, we know our country broke away from Great Britain many, many moons ago. However, our independence notwithstanding, many Americans still harbor an abiding fondness for Queen Elizabeth II. Who says we can't let bygones be bygones!?
In honor of the beloved Queen before whom we no longer need to bow, Mr. Washington, we offer this quiz about the Queen's Platinum Jubilee, which she marked earlier this month, but will officially celebrate in June.

Enjoy the quiz!
We look forward to seeing you again on March 1st.

1. The Platinum Jubilee marks the Queen's __________th year on the throne.
a. 60
b. 65
c. 70
d. 75

2. Who died and made Elizabeth Queen?
a. George VI
b. Edward VIII
c. George V
d. Henry VIII

3. Elizabeth is part of the House of _____________
a. Hanover
b. Windsor
c. Stuart
d. Wessex

4. Even though Elizabeth assumed the throne in February, her coronation was held in June of the following year. Which historical event occurred less than a week prior to this coronation?
a. the Suez Crisis
b. the Apollo 16 moon landing
c. the Hillary/Norgay ascent of Everest
d. the Battle of Hastings

5. Who was the UK Prime Minister when Elizabeth became queen?
a. Clement Atlee
b. Winston Churchill
c. Neville Chamberlin
d. Anthony Eden

6. During Queen Elizabeth II's reign, there have been ____ different prime ministers.
a. 12
b. 14
c. 16
d. 20

7. Queen Elizabeth II has reigned longer than any other living sovereign. How much longer will she have to be on the throne before she becomes the longest reigning monarch in world history?
a. 36 days
b. 115 days
c. 1 year, 18 days
d. 2 years, 100 days
e. She is already the longest serving monarch in world history.

8. How old is Queen Elizabeth II?
a. 93
b. 94
c. 95
d. 96

9. Queen Elizabeth II is the longest reigning monarch in British history. Which monarch had the second longest reign?
a. Queen Victoria
b. George III c. Queen Elizabeth I
d. Alfred the Durable but Inadequate

10. Platinum's atomic number is ______.
a. 76
b. 77
c. 78
d. 79

11. Which of the following historical events did NOT occur during Queen Elizabeth's reign? (Could be more than one) [Note: Since the first day she assumed the throne, not since the coronation.]
a. the launching of Sputnik
b. the Apollo 11 moon landing
c. Albert Einstein's death
d. Watson, Crick and Franklin's discovery of the DNA molecule structure
e. Stalin's death
f. Jonas Salk's development of the Polio vaccine
g. The publication of Ian Fleming's first James Bond novel
h. Eisenhower's defeat of Adlai Stevenson to win the Presidential election
i. Agatha Christie's play "The Mousetrap" London opening.

ANSWERS
1. The Platinum Jubilee marks the Queen's __________th year on the throne.
c. 70

2. Who died and made Elizabeth Queen?
a. George VI

3. Elizabeth is part of the House of _____________
b. Windsor

4. Even though Elizabeth assumed the throne in February, her coronation was held in June of the following year. Which historical event occurred less than a week before this coronation?
c. the Hillary/Norgay ascent of Everest

5. Who was the UK Prime Minister when Elizabeth became queen?
b. Winston Churchill

6. During Queen Elizabeth II's reign, there have been ____ different prime ministers.
b. 14

7. Queen Elizabeth II has reigned longer than any other living sovereign. How much longer will she have to be on the throne before she becomes the longest reigning monarch in World History?
d. 2 years, 100 days

Louis XVI, of France, ruled for 72 years, 110 days between the years of 1643 - 1715. He still holds the record for longest reign of any monarch of a sovereign nation.

8. How old is Queen Elizabeth II?
c. 95
She'll turn 96 on April 21st.

9. Queen Elizabeth II is the longest reigning monarch in British history. Which monarch had the second longest reign?
a. Queen Victoria
She reigned for 63 years, 216 days
1837-1901

10. Platinum's atomic number is ______.
c. 78

11. Which of the following historical events did NOT occur during Queen Elizabeth II's reign? (Could be more than one) [Note: Since the first day she assumed the throne, not since the coronation.]
They ALL occurred during Queen Elizabeth II's reign