WANDERINGS THROUGH THE MINDVERSE
Bitterness Dissolved

What do we generally want out of this unfathomably complex inner universe
consisting of 100 billion neurons and its innumerable connections?
 Simple: the sheer exuberance, unalloyed joy and unbridled passion of being
alive.    We are, after all, intensely alive, ephemeral beings tucked away
deep in the recesses of a galactic supercluster, one of ten million.
We're fashioned of ancient stardust that, through the mediation of physical
and biochemical processes crafted the trillions of highly differentiated
cells forming our body.   Those cells conspire together to render us
capable of the profoundest contemplations, deepest feelings, loveliest
sentiments, and dazzling exhibitions of creativity.

Spiffing.
Though very true about what a work a human is, Hamlet, it is, perhaps a tad
bit roseate for the modern age.  Those same cells also render us capable of
the most destructive habits, darkest thoughts, puerile actions and
appalling exhibitions of shocking cruelty.

In other words, we're immensely complicated beings!
These "wanderings" are simple attempts to attain the state described in the
first paragraph despite the sometimes unbearable psychological suffering we
often experience in this world.   Mind you, I am thousands of feet below
one of those imperturbable and preternaturally wise gurus resting
comfortably on a mountain summit.     Just an ordinary person trying
clumsily to make sense of it all and sharing some of what I've learned in
the sincere hope that it proves helpful.

Perhaps one of the destructive thought patterns that can afflict us is
bitterness: the painful ruminations about the injustices which we feel we
did not deserve and  did not redress.   The humiliation -sometimes
mortification- borne from devastating a sense of inadequacy, rejection,
eviscerating criticism or -which I consider the absolute worst- being at
the focal point of scorn, ridicule and contempt.   Such experiences, which
are likely universal, make us feel infantile, pathetic, weak, and
debilitated.

Now, I ask you (and I am not expecting an answer):  have you felt that
way?  Are there people imprinted in your memory who engender a feeling of
bitterness and resentment?      If so, what is the best way to deal with it?

Well, there's the rub.
Rage is the natural reaction because none of us wants to feel infantile,
weak or pathetic and anger is an immediate way to counteract that feeling
with a sense of empowerment.       Such a reaction is wholly
understandable, but, unfortunately, quite physically and psychologically
self-destructive.       Medical evidence supports the adage that to feel
hate and rage is to drink poison with the hope that someone else dies.

So, now what?

First, be truly kind to yourself.     You are entitled to your feelings and
often they are quite just.     That sense of anger and resentment are
manifestations of the life force that struggles against any effort to
diminish it.    Honor it and yourself.

Secondly, know that you have NEVER been demeaned or belittled by a strong
person.  Genuinely strong people deplore such behavior and strive only to
draw the best out of others.    Even when circumstances necessitate
criticism of others, strong people attempt to mitigate the resultant pain
and embarrassment.

Lastly, and perhaps the most important, how does one surmount the lingering
bitterness?  I learned a way that worked so surprisingly well, I thought it
important to share.      It is predicated on one simple fact:    you want
some of your own back.   You want that sense of empowerment to replace that
agonizing feeling of helplessness and humiliation.   How does one gain that?

I looked at the mental apparition of each person toward whom I had ever
felt bitter and said,  "You were a good teacher.  I am stronger, kinder,
wiser and better because of you."    Note I didn't say,  "Heavens, I'd like
to have tea and crumpets with you,  or" "I'd love you to marry my
daughter,"  or "I wish you were my neighbor."    Not at all.    I grinned
at the apparition and admitted that I was gotten the better of.  And, like
the hiker whose muscles strengthen after a difficult climb, I transformed
that painful experience:  I adjusted the neural pathways to make it
enhance, as opposed to diminish, my life force.    (I also acknowledge that
I haven't always been perfectly behaved, myself.)

Does it always work?
Oh, certainly not.   Our moods are just so much meteorology: they are like
weather fronts that can often darken and lighten without a moment's
warning.  However,  the apparitions that have haunted the mindverse have
faded considerably. I looked them in the eye and grinned gratefully.
 (Shakespeare: "The robbed that smiles steals something from the thief.")
I noticed that anger only intensified their luminescence.  Now that they're
only shades of shades, the exuberant moments have become more plentiful and
the strengthening process continues.

Your mindverse is gorgeous and wondrous.

As always, I hope I haven't wasted your time.