70 Falmouth Street      Portland, Maine 04103
(207) 780-4249      usm.maine.edu/planet
43.6667° N    70.2667° W  Altitude:  10 feet below sea level Founded
January 1970
2021-2022: LXVII
"All that we see or seem is but a dream within a dream."
-Edgar Allan Poe (born on this day in 1809, exactly 134 years before Janis
Joplin.)

THE DAILY ASTRONOMER Wednesday, January 19, 2022
4800!

During the period of time you require to read this entire sentence, the
Universe will have added nearly 20,000 stars to its already burgeoning
stellar population. By this statement we mean that about 20,000 stars will
initiate the intensely powerful thermonuclear fusion processes that sustain
stars through their life cycles. That value equals about 4,800 stars every
single second! Or, a night sky's worth of stars every 2.1 seconds. Our
minds, which instinctively shy away from the unfathomably disproportionate,
might envision so much diamond dust scattered along dark velvet. Instead,
almost five thousand new suns come on-line every time we blink! That value
likely almost includes five thousand solar systems replete with planets,
moons and a wide variety of asteroidal, cometary and other extraneous
flotsam. (Yes, these bodies will also be found in binary and other multiple
systems.) How many of these systems will produce conditions conducive to
life's development is truly anybody's guess. Even if only one tenth of
one-percent of these systems give rise to life, the cosmos will add about
five life-bearing worlds to its census every second, or 432,000 every
single Earth day, Kirk! Mind you, the stars that snap on now won't be
shining down on creatures for quite some time, if our own natural history
is any indication. Nevertheless, the process might still be starting...and
how!

This grand statements are all very well and truly stagger the imagination.
However, how can one arrive at this figure? We certainly can't witness all
these births. Astronomers have made this determination through
extrapolation: observations of star birth in our own galaxy, which amounts
to about 3-5 solar masses of material incorporated into active stars every
year. However, since approximately 88 percent of stars are smaller than the
Sun, this material generally forms more than three to five stars. Most, if
not all, spiral galaxies are, like the Milky Way, prodigious star
generators. Some of them can even produce a few hundred stars a year. And,
spiral galaxies comprise about 72 percent of all the 125-plus galaxies in
the observable Universe. Seventy two percent of 125 billion is.....hold
on.....about 90 billion spiral galaxies. Add to this value the star birth
occuring in other galaxy types,* and one can well understand how so many
stars can be born every second.

[image: 110601-MilkyWayPhoto-hmed-0825a.jpg]
Spiral galaxies such as NGC 6744, a galaxy that closely resembles our own
Milky Way, are regions of prodigious star birth.

This stellar proliferation bodes well for those of us who believe that the
Universe teems with life.   Most stars are less massive than the Sun and
consequently have longer life-cycles. Red dwarfs, the most common type of
stars, can live 1- 3 trillion years.   Plenty of time for life to develop
and evolve.     Again, that assumption is based our own experience, which
could be completely different from that of other worlds.    We'll find out
eventually.  For now, we derive comfort from knowing that every day
millions of stars light their first sparks in the cosmos.

*Star birth rates are very low or even nil in some galaxies, including many
gas-poor ellipticals.

https://lists.maine.edu/cgi-bin/wa?SUBED1=DAILY-ASTRONOMER&A=1