WANDERINGS THROUGH THE MINDVERSE
Turmonian toroid tying and brain wiring

OR

The trouble with Turmonian toroid tying
and how trying it is to tie a toroid

Well, let's announce the latest innovation that society is going to foist upon you whether you like it or not: the Turmonian toroid.     You haven't heard of it. Well, perhaps, that's because I just made it up out of thin air, but bear with me all the same.       You see, those shoe ties are, to be polite, a bit passe, are they not?   Same old intertwining laces that you tie together each morning without giving them any thought at all.   You tie them, move on with your day and scarcely pay them any mind.       The shoe tying system has worked so well for so long without any hassles, headaches or second thoughts that we thought some unnecessary, but horribly complicated, innovation was in order.    Isn't that the modern way, after all?

Hence, the Turmonian toroid: shoes topped with twelve numbered holes arranged in a circle.  Now, instead of simply tying two laces, you must tie six laces together:  The lace in the # 1 hole must be connected to the lace in the # 12 hole; the # 2 lace with the # 11 hole; the # 3 lace with the # 10 hole; and so forth.   The sum of each lace tie must be 13.   Of course, that is only on odd numbered days.  On even numbered days, you'd have to connect holes that are separated by ninety degrees, so the 12 hole would be connected to the 3 hole, the 1 hole with the 4 hole, the 2 hole with the 5 hole, et cetera.  Of course, if it is a prime number day, you'd have to connect holes that are diametrically opposed: # 12 with #6, # 1 with # 7, and so forth.

Oh, and the good news is that we've already taken the liberty of disposing of your previous footwear.    You will find Turmonian toroid sneakers in their place, along with detailed tying instructions, diagrams that are intended to be helpful and, of course, a tech assistance number which will connect you with a recording that simply advises you to consult the Turmonian toroid web-site.

Your morning routine is about to become considerably more interesting (i.e. exasperating) All you have to do is forge the neural pathways in order to make the new shoe tying procedure as automatic as the previous procedure.      No easy task, at least initially, but progressively easier with effort.

Hold that thought. We'll return to it.

Now, let's discuss that miraculous, beautiful brain of yours -and,  yes, those two descriptions are apt .    You know, that highly complex structure containing a galaxy's worth of neurons capable of generating 50,000 - 75,000 thoughts a day.  Yeah, that one.       Be honest.    What do you want that self contained Universe to be?  Of course you want it to be the Apollo Library in which peaceful sunlight filters down through high atrium windows.    It should be surrounded by a lush, perfumed garden and serve as a safe refuge for contemplation, pleasure, spiritual replenishment and unbounded joy.       Heavens, who wouldn't want a mindverse like that?

What is your mind, actually?
Well, if it is anything like mine, it houses a bombast of mischievous barbed devils who scurry frantically around the brain as though they owned it.    Quite often,generally in the middle of the night, one of them will happily scream, "here comes a monkey bite!" before plunging a white-hot pitchfork into my hippocampus.   I then awaken in the company of those painful regrets, apparitions of past tormentors, detestations about my myriad shortcomings or anxieties about impending "disasters," all of which are epic fails in the congenial bedfellow category.

So, why do our minds tend to be populated with far more devils than gardens and what can we do about it?          The devils, or jailors, or whatever you want to call them, are annoying, but often helpful evolutionary constructs designed to fortify us against a  world that we perceive as being rife with predators.    Although we'd prefer to ponder the lush flora and admire the harmless fauna, our brain needs to energize us to confront the saber tooths and other menaces lurking within our territory.

 Now here is where the process becomes truly interesting: these neural signals will ultimately induce the release of stress hormones which not only activate us but are also found to be addicting.   We tend to become addicted to these negative thoughts, even though they often make us secretly miserable.   And, as you BWTM subscribers know, our aim as intensely alive beings is to live rapturously within our own mindverses (yes, another word I made up).

And, that brings us back neatly to the Turmonian toroids.   Our ability to overcome our negativity is all a matter of rewiring.     If we had to, we could eventually learn to tie those preposterous toroids, even though the task would initially seem to be exceedingly difficult.
Similarly, if we're accustomed to generating a great deal of negative thoughts (and the estimate is that 70% of all thoughts are negative), we need to be aware of these thoughts when they arise and consciously decide to both honor them and then replace them with positive thoughts: yes, even if you might not believe them at first.       Remember that most of these negative thoughts are inaccurate:  figments of your miraculous mind that, with effort, could become the Apollo library you want it to be.

It is a matter of practice, patience, self-appreciation and the determination to overcome the harmful chimeras of mind even if doing so seems like you're trying to tie a Turmonian toroid.

Until our mindverses intersect again, I wish you a good night and, as always, I hope I haven't wasted your time.

Access the WANDERINGS-THROUGH-THE-MINDVERSE Home Page and Archives

Unsubscribe from the WANDERINGS-THROUGH-THE-MINDVERSE List