Greetings, salutations, and welcome back to another daylight savings time hating, Halloween candy overdosing, horror movie binging, waking up in the darkness edition of the High Demand Hold Digest – your source for everything requested, recorded, and required by our beloved patrons.

Whelp, here we all on – standing so far on the beyond that trying to recall the last time we all felt “normal” is like trying to find the exact moment that you move from kinda drunk to wicked drunk.  But have faith, fellow librarians, library workers, and library lovers – there is more that stays the same than changes.  It’s all a matter of perspective.

While it can often seem that we are all strangers in a strange land, there will always be those threads that tie yesterday, today, and tomorrow to the eternal dance of life.  Like, for a random example, the wonderful mishmash of films and books that flow out of the tiny corner of Minerva called the Gray Public Library.  A private joke among the staff is that we are the primary providers of horror films, Hallmark Christmas movies, and Amish romance books to the users throughout Maine.  Somehow, in this brief moment after Halloween, yet before the decorative gourds of Thanksgiving populate the landscape, all three types of materials become highly demanded and fly out the door with an almost reckless abandon.  Every year it occurs – and this year is no different.  So just keep hanging on – as far as I know, the world will continue to spin, the dawn will follow the dark, water will remain wet, and libraries will continue to endure.

So, to blow my overall thesis of this little preamble, I must confess a reason behind a change made to the list below.  I pulled the data and typed up the list yesterday.  As I was typing, I realized that I had nothing say for an introduction.  I figured if I could just keep my fingers moving as some kind of creative CPR, I may find something.  So instead of just typing up the top requested print books, I pulled out the non-fiction from the fiction books in the list and started a new category.  The result was a hot mess of a preface, and an interesting new list.  So the hot mess of an introduction now resides in Silicon Heaven, but the non-fiction list remains.  Will it be a one-off, or will it return next month?  I suppose we will all have to patiently wait and see what happens next.

So, back to the fine print.  The below list are the items in the Minerva system of libraries where there are at least twice as many holds as there are items available in the system (as of midnight on November 4th, at least).  So while Jenny Rosenstrach’s “The Weekday Vegetarians” has fourteen holds on it, there are twelve copies in the system so it does not make the list.  And, if by chance you happen upon this list outside of the normal delivery system of the Maine Library listservs and wish to see it again without the burden of subscription, please shoot me an email and I would be happy to add you to a direct distribution list.

So, until next time when it is colder, darker, and hopefully more loving and joyful, keep hanging on, keep doing what you love doing, keep being brave in the face of fear, keep being optimistic in the face of despair, and if the going gets too hard and weird, remember the kind words of our friend Mr. Tolkien:

“The world is indeed full of peril, and in it there are many dark places; but still there is much that is fair, and though in all lands love is now mingled with grief, it grows perhaps the greater”.

Be well, thank you for your kind attentions, and I’ll see you in the stacks.

Josh

Joshua Tiffany, MLIS

Director – Gray Public Library

Acting Town Manager – Town of Gray

Minerva Executive Board Member / Treasurer

Chair – Minerva Cataloging Committee

Minerva Circulation Standards Member

November at its best – with a sort of delightful menace in the air.  – Anne Bosworth Greene

  _____

This electronic mail message and any attachments hereto, as well as any electronic mail message(s) that may be sent in response to it, may be considered public records, and may therefore be subject to public record requests for review and copying under Maine's Right to Know Law (Title 1, 401-521 of the Maine Revised Statutes).

Fiction Books

1.	The Lincoln Highway (Towles) – 334 holds on 73 items
2.	State of Terror (Clinton / Penny) – 266 holds on 75 items
3.	Cloud Cuckoo Land (Doerr) – 206 holds on 71 items
4.	Apples Never Fall (Moriarty) – 199 holds on 72 items
5.	The Judge’s List (Grisham) – 198 holds on 50 items
6.	Oh William! (Strout) – 151 holds on 46 items
7.	Better Off Dead (Child & Child) – 140 holds on 46 items
8.	Game On: Tempting 28 (Evanovich) – 87 holds on 15 items
9.	Bewilderment (Powers) – 82 holds on 40 items
10.	Crossroads (Franzen) – 82 holds on 38 items
11.	The Sentence (Edrich) – 42 holds on 12 items
12.	Our Country Friends (Shteyngart) – 40 holds on 13 items
13.	Five Tuesdays in Winter: Stories (King) – 30 holds on 10 items
14.	It Ends With Us (Hoover) – 25 holds on 12 items
15.	The Neighbor’s Secret (Heller) – 25 holds on 8 items
16.	Still Life (Winman) – 20 holds on 8 items
17.	Where They Wait (Carson) – 15 holds on 4 items
18.	Cloud Cuckoo Land (Doerr) ((Barnes & Noble Exclusive Edition) – 15 holds on 1 item
19.	The Ex Hex (Sterling) – 13 holds on 3 items

Non-fiction books

1.	Peril (Woodward) – 135 holds on 46 items
2.	There is Nothing Here for You: Finding Opportunity in the 21st Century (Hill) – 78 holds on 10 items
3.	Going There (Couric) – 45 holds on 12 items
4.	Vanderbilt: The Rise and Fall of an American Dynasty (Cooper) – 45 holds on 12 items
5.	Taste: My Life Through Food (Tucci) – 37 holds on 18 items
6.	Four Thousand Weeks: Time Management for Mortals (Burkeman) – 34 holds on 7 items
7.	I’ll Take Your Questions Now: What I Saw at the Trump White House (Grisham) – 30 holds on 10 items
8.	ER Nurses: True Stories from America’s Greatest Unsung Heroes (Patterson) – 26 holds on 8 items
9.	Uncontrolled Spread: Why COVID-19 Crushed Us and How We Can Defeat the Next Pandemic (Gottlieb) – 13 holds on 3 items
10.	Baking for the Holidays: 50+ Treats for a Festive Season (Kieffer) – 13 holds on 2 items
11.	The Dawn of Everything: A New History of Humanity (Graeber) – 12 holds on 2 items
12.	Unrequited Infatuations: Odyssey of a Rock and Roll Consigliere (a cautionary tale) (Van Zandt) – 11 holds on 5 items
13.	The Tiny Kitchen Cookbook: Strategies and Recipes for Creating Amazing Meals in Small Place (Mahle) – 10 holds on 4 items
14.	Self-compassion: The Proven Power of Being Kind to Yourself (Neff) – 10 holds on 1 item
15.	To Rescue the Republic: Ulysses S. Grant, the Fragile Union, and the Crisis of 1876 (Baier) – 8 holds on 4 items
16.	Best Wishes, Warmest Regards: The Story of Schitt’s Creek (Leavy) – 8 holds on 2 items
17.	Capote’s Women: A True Story of Love, Betrayal, and a Swan Song for an Era (Leamer) – 8 holds on 2 items
18.	Unsettled: What Climate Science Tells Us, What It Doesn’t and Why It Matters (Koonin) – 8 holds on 2 items
19.	The Truth About COVID-19: Exposing the Great Reset, Lockdowns, Vaccine Passports, and the New Normal (Mercola) – 8 holds on 1 item
20.	Woke Racism: How a New Religion has Betrayed Black America (McWhorter) – 8 holds on 1 item

Pre-pub

1.	The Dark Hours (Connelly) – 120 holds
2.	Wish You Were Here (Picoult) – 90 holds
3.	Mercy (Baldacci) – 88 holds
4.	Go Tell the Bees that I am Gone (Gabaldon) – 72 holds
5.	Fear No Evil (Patterson) – 48 holds
6.	The Becoming (Roberts) – 45 holds
7.	The Recovery Agent (Evanovich) – 44 holds
8.	The Joy and Light Bus Company (McCall Smith)
9.	Flying Angels (Steel) – 27 holds
10.	Autopsy (Cornwell) – 25 holds

Large Print

1.	The Judge’s List (Grisham) – 84 holds on 4 items
2.	State of Terror (Clinton / Penny) – 81 holds on 22 items
3.	The Lincoln Highway (Towles) – 76 holds on 6 items
4.	Cloud Cuckoo Land (Doerr) – 51 holds on 14 items
5.	Oh William! (Strout) – 31 holds on 3 items
6.	The Butler (Steel) – 23 holds on 5 items
7.	2 Sisters Detective Agency (Patterson) – 20 holds on 6 items
8.	Better Off Dead (Child + Child) – 16 holds on 1 item
9.	The Man Who Died Twice (Osman) – 14 holds on 3 items
10.	Crossroads (Franzen) – 10 holds on 5 items

Audiobooks

1.	Oh, William! (Strout) – 25 holds on 12 items
2.	The Lincoln Highway (Towles) – 21 holds on 3 items
3.	The Judge’s List (Grisham)- 15 holds on 6 items
4.	The Lowering Days (Brown) – 8 holds on 3 items
5.	Lightning Strike (Krueger) – 7 holds on 2 items
6.	The Thursday Murder Club (Osman) – 5 holds on 2 items
7.	The Boys: A Memoir of Hollywood and Family (Howard) – 5 holds on 1 item
8.	Project Hail Mary (Weird) (MP3) – 4 holds on 1 item
9.	Charlie Thorne and the Lost City (Gibbs) – 3 holds on 1 item
10.	Castle Shade (King) – 2 holds on 1 item

Graphic Novels

1.	Cat Kid: Comic Club. 2, Perspectives (Pilkey) – 8 holds on 1 item
2.	5 worlds.  Book 5, The emerald gate (Siegel) – 5 holds on 2
3.	Demon slayer. Volume 22, The wheel of fate (Gotouge) – 3 holds on 1 item
4.	LORE OLYMPUS: VOLUME ONE. (Smythe) – 3 holds on 1 item
5.	Lumberjanes. 2, End of summer (Watters) – 3 holds on 1 item
6.	Ascender. Volume four, Star seed (Lemire) – 2 holds on 1 item
7.	The building of the Transcontinental Railroad (Olson) – 2 holds on 1 item
8.	Haikyu!! 34, Cats' claws (Furudate) – 2 holds on 1 item
9.	Naruto 3-in-1. Volumes 13-14-15 (Kishimoto) – 2 holds on 1 item
10.	Spider-Man: spider's shadow (Zdarsky) -  2 holds on 1 item

Blu-ray

1.	Free Guy – 8 holds on 1 item
2.	Stillwater – 6 holds on 2 items
3.	Old – 3 holds on 1 item
4.	Young Sheldon: Season 4 – 3 holds on 1 item
5.	James Bond Collection – 2 holds on 1 item
6.	Snake Eyes: G.I. Joe Origins – 2 holds on 1 item

DVD

1.	Free Guy – 37 holds on 11 items
2.	Joe Bell – 11 holds on 5 items
3.	On the Rocks – 10 holds on 4 items
4.	The Colony – 4 holds on 1 item
5.	The Bette Davis Collection, volume 3 – 3 holds on 1 item
6.	Rogue Hostage – 3 holds on 1 item
7.	Survive the Game – 3 holds on 1 item
8.	The Birthday Cake – 2 holds on 1 item
9.	Boss Level – 2 holds on 1 item
10.	Bringing Up Baby – 2 holds on 1 item
11.	Chateau Christmas – 2 holds on 1 item
12.	The Christmas House – 2 holds on 1 item
13.	Fire Up – 2 holds on 1 item
14.	Friday the 13th: The Ultimate Collection – 2 holds on 1 item
15.	The Hidden Life of Trees – 2 holds on 1 item
16.	An Interview With God – 2 holds on 1 item
17.	Lawnmower Man 1+2 – 2 holds on 1 item
18.	Stir Crazy – 2 holds on 1 item
19.	Warning – 2 holds on 1 item

TV Shows

1.	Grace and Frankie: Season 4 – 7 holds on 2 items
2.	Grace and Frankie: Season 3 – 5 holds on 2 items
3.	Ms. Fisher’s Modern Murder Mysteries. Series 2 – 4 holds on 2 items
4.	The Chosen.  Season 1 – 4 holds on 1 item
5.	When Calls the Heart.  Year 8 – 6 movie collection – 4 holds on 1 item
6.	NCIS New Orleans: Season 5 – 3 holds on 1 item
7.	What We Do in the Shadows: Season 2 – 3 holds on 1 item
8.	Diagnosis Murder: Season 1 – 2 holds on 1 item
9.	The Equalizer: Season 1 – 2 holds on 1 item
10.	The Flash: Season 7 – 2 holds on 1 item

Blu-ray + DVD combo

1.	Old – 7 holds on 2 items
2.	The Green Knight – 5 holds on 2 items
3.	Godzilla vs. Kong – 2 holds on 1 item
4.	Hitman’s Wife Bodyguard – 2 holds on 1 item

Video Games

1.	Mario Party Superstars – 6 holds on 2 items
2.	Miitopia – 4 holds on 1 item
3.	Metroid Dread – 3 holds on 1 item
4.	Blaze and the Monster Machine: Axle City Racers – 2 holds on 1 item
5.	Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker – 2 holds on 1 item
6.	Nickelodeon All-Star Brawl – 2 holds on 1 item
7.	Pokemon: let’s Go Eevee! – 2 holds on 1 item

Misc

1.	The Lockdown Sessions: Elton John (Music CD) – 4 holds on 1 item

BLAST FROM THE PAST – since this season makes me feel strangely nostalgic, here is the first list I ever recorded from the High Demand Hold.  Never could I have expected what the next seven years would hold…

HIGH DEMAND HOLD LIST BREAK DOWN 01/22/2015

Top 10 most requested books:

1.	All The Light We Cannot See by Anthony Dorr – 330 holds on 86 copies
2.	The Girl on the Train by Paula Hawkins – 222 holds on 36 items
3.	Being Mortal by Atul Gawande – 129 holds on 50 copies
4.	The Boston Girl by Anita Diamant – 103 holds on 42 copies
5.	Private Vegas by James Patterson – 95 holds on 29 copies
6.	The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up by Marie Konda – 75 holds on 14 copies
7.	Pioneer Girl: The Annotated Autobiography by Laura Ingalls Wilder – 44 holds on 5 copies
8.	It Was Me All Along by Andie Mitchell – 19 holds on 3 items
9.	Life in Prison: 8 hours at a time by Robert Reilly – 18 holds on 2 items
10.	America’s Bitter Pill: by Steven Brill – 16 holds on 4 items

Top 5 most requested large print titles

1.	All the Light We Cannot See by Anthony Dorr – 45 holds on 6 items
2.	The Boston Girl by Anita Diamant – 27 holds on 7 items
3.	Hope to Die by James Patterson – 22 holds on 11 items
4.	Euphoria by Lily King – 21 holds on 3 items
5.	Flesh and Blood by Patricia Cornwell – 8 holds on 1 item

Top 10 Most Requested Audiobooks

1.	The Boston Girl by Anita Diamant – 22 holds on 10 copies
2.	Euphoria by Lily Kind – 19 holds on 6 items
3.	The Girl on the Train by Paula Hawkins – 19 holds on 5 items
4.	The Paying Guests by Sarah Waters – 11 holds on 4 items
5.	Voyager by Diana Gabaldon – 10 holds on 4 items
6.	Everything I Never Told You by Celeste Ng – 7 holds on 2 item
7.	Cold Cold Heart by Tami Hoag – 6 holds on 3 items
8.	Dark Places by Gillian Flynn – 6 holds on 3 items
9.	Written in My Own Heart’s Blood by Diana Gabaldon – 6 holds on 3 items
10.	Americanah by Chimamanda Adichie -5 holds on 1 item

Top 10 most requested DVDs

1.	Gone Girl – 114 holds on 23 items
2.	Boyhood – 111 holds on 21 items
3.	Downton Abbey: Season 5 – 90 holds on 7 items
4.	Homeland: The Complete Third Season – 77 holds on 27 items
5.	The Maze Runner – 68 holds on 27 items
6.	Fury – 59 holds on 5 items
7.	The Hundred Foot Journey – 58 holds on 28 items
8.	This is Where I Leave You – 56 holds on 17 items
9.	The Equalizer – 48 holds on 11 items
10.	22 Jump Street – 37 holds on 14 items

Top 10 most requested music CDs

1.	Hozier by Hozier – 12 holds on 2 copies
2.	1989 by Taylor Swift – 9 holds on 9 copies
3.	Guardians of the Galaxy soundtrack (2 disc edition) - 7 holds on 1 item
4.	Guardians of the Galaxy soundtrack (1 disc edition) – 6 holds on 2 items
5.	Hunger Games: Mockingjay Part 1 soundtrack – 6 holds on 2 items
6.	Ultimate Collection by Joe Cocker – 5 holds on 1 item
7.	Lunatic by Kongos – 4 holds on 1 item
8.	Tell ‘Em I’m Gone by Yusuf Islam (Cat Stevens) – 4 holds on 1 item
9.	Title by Meghan Trainor – 4 holds on 2 items
10.	Begin Again: music from the motion picture – 3 holds on 1 item

Top 10 most requested Blu-rays or Blu-ray / DVD combo packs

1.	Gone Girl – 30 holds on 2 item
2.	The Boxtrolls – 26 holds on 1 item
3.	Lucy – 25 holds on 2 items
4.	Get On Up – 21 holds on 1 item
5.	Guardians of the Galaxy – 19 holds on 1 item
6.	The Good Lie – 18 holds on 2 items
7.	Grand Budapest Hotel – 13 holds on 1 item
8.	The Maze Runner – 13 holds on 2 item
9.	X-Men: Days of Future Past – 13 holds on 2 items
10.	Belle – 12 holds on 2 items