"The best way to teach your kids about taxes is to eat thirty percent of their ice cream."
(see question 12)

THE DAILY ASTRONOMER
Friday, November 19, 2021
Quiz 10: Another Quote Quiz

Heavens above, our quote quiz from a few weeks ago proved very popular, based on the number of responses that quiz elicited. And, since we like to be liked (well, who doesn't?), we decided to post another quote quiz. This one will have a couple of twists, as you shall see.

Lots of rain last night so there was no eclipse viewing. :-(
Still, there is always May 15th!

See you Monday

1. "I used to be snow white, but I drifted."
a. Bette Davis
b. Mae West
c. Lillian Gish
d. Vivian Leigh

2.  Beilby Porteus (1731-1808) said, "One murder makes a villain, but millions make a __________."

3.  "University politics are so vicious because the stakes are so small."
a. Richard Nixon
b. John F. Kennedy
c. Henry Kissinger
d. Margaret Thatcher

4.  "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I am not sure about the former."
a. Albert Einstein
b. Madame Curie
c. Stephen Hawking
d. Carl Sagan

5.  Russian author Leo Tolstoy said that ________________ was crude, immoral, vulgar and senseless.

6. Groucho Marx said, "There is no sweeter sound than the crumbling of ________________."

7. "Opera in English is, in the main, just about as sensible as baseball in Italian."
a.  Babe Ruth
b. Ty Cobb
c. H L Mencken
d. George Burns

8.  Which Shakespearean play contains the famous stage direction  "Exit, pursued by a bear?"
a.  MacBeth
b. The Winter's Tale
c.  Two Gentlemen of Verona
d.  Mid Summer Night's Dream

9.  Thomas Jones said "Friends come and go, but enemies ________________"

10.  "A life spent making mistakes is not only more honorable, but  more useful than a life spent doing nothing."
a.  George Bernard Shaw
b.  Wizard of Oz
c.  Thomas Edison
d.  Peyton Manning

11.  Which comedian/tv host made the following quip  "In 1932 lame duck President Herbert Hoover was so desperate to remain in the White House that he dressed up as Eleanor Roosevelt.  When FDR discovered the hoax in 1936, the two men decided to stay together for the sake of the children."

12.  Today's tagline quote is attributable to ______________
a.   Bill Murray
b.  Robin Williams
c.  Mr Rogers
d.  Abraham Lincoln

ANSWERS
1. "I used to be snow white, but I drifted."
 b. Mae West

2. Beilby Porteus (1731-1808) said, "One murder makes a villain, but millions make a __________."
hero

3.  "University politics are so vicious because the stakes are so small."
c. Henry Kissinger

4. "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I am not sure about the former."
a. Albert Einstein

5.  Russian author Leo Tolstoy said that ________________ was crude, immoral, vulgar and senseless.
Shakespeare

6. Groucho Marx said, "There is no sweeter sound than the crumbling of ________________."
one's fellow man

7. "Opera in English is, in the main, just about as sensible as baseball in Italian."
 c. H L Mencken

8.  Which Shakespearean play contains the famous stage direction  "Exit, pursued by a bear?"
 b. The Winter's Tale

9.  Thomas Jones said "Friends come and go, but enemies ________________"
accumulate

10.  "A life spent making mistakes is not only more honorable, but  more useful than a life spent doing nothing."
 a.  George Bernard Shaw

11.  Which comedian/tv host made the following quip  "In 1932 lame duck President Herbert Hoover was so desperate to remain in the White House that he dressed up as Eleanor Roosevelt.  When FDR discovered the hoax in 1936, the two men decided to stay together for the sake of the children."
11.  Johnny Carson

https://lists.maine.edu/cgi-bin/wa?SUBED1=DAILY-ASTRONOMER&A=