70 Falmouth Street      Portland, Maine 04103
(207) 780-4249      usm.maine.edu/planet
43.6667° N    70.2667° W  Altitude:  10 feet below sea level Founded
January 1970
2021-2022: XXXVII
"May you live every day of your life."
-Jonathan Swift

[image: preview-lightbox-does-santa-live-in-the-north-pole-550x550.jpg]

THE DAILY ASTRONOMER Thursday, October 28, 2021
The North Pole Night

That time of year has finally arrived: when we cross the vague demarcation
separating the lush, fire-bright early autumn from the barren, ice coated
pre-winter that inevitably follows it. Although we hearty folk can take
solace from the assurance that vernal warmth will eventually soften
winter's iron-hard soil, for now we are confronting the impending cold
season. However, we are not going to allow ourselves to lapse into a
despondent stupor because the world still remains stunningly beautiful and,
besides, the higher latitudes have it worse. Today we focus our attention
onto the ultimate in high latitudes: the North Pole.
Why? To address an all too common astronomical misconception, namely:

*The North Pole experiences six months of darkness.*

Heavens above! One would think that such a protracted night could truly rip
the kick and tickle out of Santa's jolly 'ol soul. Fortunately for St Nick,
the North Pole's night isn't even half that long.

To understand why the North Pole isn't steeped in deep shadow for half a
year, we must remember the Sun's position relative to it and, most
importantly, the life-sustaining atmosphere that envelopes our planet. Not
only does the atmosphere supply us with so much free oxygen, it also
scatters light. For instance, the sky doesn't go dark right after sunset.
We experience three twilight phases between the sunset moment and the onset
of true darkness:

Civil twilight: when the Sun is between 0 - 6 degrees of the horizon.
This is the time we generally regard as twilight: the sky exhibits a
gorgeous display of colors and only the brightest planets and stars are
visible.

Nautical twilight: when the Sun is between 6 - 12 degrees of the horizon.
During this phase, other stars appear while the horizon tremains visible.

and

Astronomical twilight: when the Sun is between 12 - 18 degrees of the
horizon.
At this third phase, the dimmer stars slowly come into view and the horizon
vanishes.

Once the Sun is more than 18 degrees from the horizon, any atmospheric
light scattering will be negligible.

Apart from the scattering, our pesky atmosphere also causes refraction, the
"bending" of images away from their true positions. This effect is
maximized at the horizon, where the atmosphere is at its thickest.
Consequently, objects that are within half a degree of the horizon will
still appear in our sky due to this refraction effect.

On the autumnal equinox, the Sun remains in the sky at the North Pole, or ,
more precisely, an image of the Sun appears in the sky. Over a period of
nearly 40 hours, the Sun turns around the sky and slowly sets. Civil
twilight then lasts until October 8/9, when the Sun's angle first dips
below six degrees.
Imagine dusk lasting almost three straight weeks!

Nautical twilight then begins and ends around October 24th. Although
astronomical twilight commences and won't end until November 11/12th, the
sky has already become quite dark. Technically,the North Pole Night begins
around Veteran's Day, but one could still see a star-blazoned sky by late
October.

Astronomical twilight then begins at the North Pole on January 28th, when
the ascending Sun comes to within 18 degrees of the horizon. The sky will
still remain dark until around February 18th, when nautical twilight begins
at the North Pole. The stars vanish and the sky brightens by late February.
Civil twilight begins on March 5th and the first sliver of the Sun's upper
limb protrudes above the horizon slightly less than two days before the
vernal equinox.

If Earth had no atmosphere, the North Pole would be plunged into darkness
as soon as the Sun set. Daylight would only be restored on the vernal
equinox when the Sun finally appeared above the horizon. However, Earth's
airy blankets make life far more complicated. All the same, we are truly
grateful for all the free oxygen.

A brand new Halloween quiz tomorrow!

https://lists.maine.edu/cgi-bin/wa?SUBED1=DAILY-ASTRONOMER&A=
<https://lists.maine.edu/cgi-bin/wa?SUBED1=DAILY-ASTRONOMER&A=1>