"If you are not too long, I will wait here for you all my life."
-Oscar Wilde

THE DAILY ASTRONOMER
Monday, October 18, 2021
Meanwhile, in the Bedroom

for bringing this story to my attention.
___________________

A mid-autumn Monday is a perfect time to discuss timelessness. Or, what we
should call the sense of timelessness.   Our world furnishes us with ample
time markers, be it Earth's diurnal motion that both defines a day and
subdivides it into morning, afternoon and night or the planet's
revolutionary motion resulting in the regular seasonal transitions.  For
the benefit of southern subscribers protected from the cold weather's
ravages, right now we're in the peak of foliage* season here in Northern
New England.    Apart from the turning and orbiting planet, we track time
with clocks, calendars, phones, wrist watches, and all manner of devices
that have sliced, diced, and packaged the otherwise undifferentiated fourth
dimension.

Now, imagine time's passage without any such convenient gradations.  The
slow silent lapse of time in the pitch black and boundless hollows of
interplanetary space.    Out there  a miniscule rock once tumbled,
careening through the shapeless gulfs separating the Sun's attendant
worlds.    Though it must have felt utterly isolated as it traveled along
its aimless path, it did not tumble alone.    It was but one of innumerable
boulders, mountains and primordial fragments that are still hidden within
the inky darkness.  Were we to render all of them luminescent and
observable, the night sky would resemble a firefly swarm as these
meteoroids and asteroids darted across our view field en route to more
distant skies.

Our concern today, however, is with this one rock:  a greyish, three-pound
melon-shaped remnant of the infant solar system.    Until just the other
day, its protracted history had hardly been one of quest and adventure.
Instead, it sailed through the timeless void, ticking away the centuries
like seconds.   Though its speed was often measured in thousands of mph, it
moved in a realm devoid of reference frames, apart from the solitary bright
star that brightened into a fiery disk on approach and then diminished into
an incandescent pinprick as it soared away back to the rarefied outer solar
system.  Time and time and time again, it followed its heliocentric orbit
without so much as a whisper of excitement.   Unlike Earth rocks subject to
the slow, but still dynamic rock cycle, this errant, interplanetary
projectile experienced neither geological upheaval nor chemical
alteration.  It was just as it had always been since whatever chance
collision in the unfathomable past  chipped it away from its larger parent
body.  After that detachment, or likely irregular series of detachments, it
remained immutable throughout millions if not billions of years.

Then, it veered too close to a major world and became ensnared by its
gravity.  Although the Sun is far and away the solar system's predominant
massive body, a planet will always capture a smaller body that ventures
within its boundary.  Suddenly, after the passage of countless millennia in
the perpetual night, this fragment found itself approaching a bluish-green
sphere dabbled by whitish filaments.   As it drew closer, its speed
increased  and had it been capable of observing the world below, it would
have seen an interplay of light and shadow against a broad landscape that
eventually resolved itself into sharp landforms embedded in vast water
bodies.     As the descent quickened, it pushed against the rarefied upper
atmosphere and experienced frictional  heating, a fierce temperature rise
compared to the deep chill of the void.   As the rock plummeted at
breakneck speeds, it encountered a denser mix of gases and the heat became
like engulfing flame that ignited the sky and left a cloud-thick trail in
its wake.
The once featureless continent shrunk to a landmass of forest tracts and
distant glacial caps.   These opened into land boundaries pockmarked by
intricate cities and smaller towns.

It approached one town that, itself, was soon resolved into individual
streets and buildings.     Had it scrutinized that bustling berg, the rock
would have noticed a veritable frenzy of activity, both human and
otherwise, despite the darkness,  a stark contrast to the formless realms
of space.    Rapidly, and without any warning, it became a fireball that
tore through the sky and crashed headlong into home in Golden, British
Columbia, a town of 3,700 souls about 440 miles from Vancouver.

Its arrival shattered the ceiling, resounded like a cannon shot and tore a
66-year old woman named Ruth Hamilton away from sleep's timeless oblivion.
   At first she thought a fallen tree had crashed through her home.
 Then, to her astonishment, she found a rock in her bed.

[image: FBnCql4XMAcmBeg.jpg]

A charcoal gray four-billion year old stone that, had it been capable of
sight, might have looked a bit nonplussed as it found itself an interloper
in a lady's bedchamber.      She alerted the police, who at first believed
the object to have been flotsam displaced by a blasting crew.  However, no
blasting had occurred in the area around that time (on October 3rd.)
 The investigating officer then deduced that the bed rock (paused for
forced laugh) originated from outer space.   Reports of a fireball in the
area that night confirmed his conclusion.

And, at once, Ruth Hamilton and the rock that impertinently crashed onto
her bed, became global celebrities.   Far flung media outlets such as the
New York Times and the BBC have reported on the meteorite atop the sheets.

Welcome to our unquiet Earth, little celestial wanderer.     Though your
fame will likely be fleeting in this world of the three-second attention
span, you will find your new home as intriguing as it is dynamic.   You'll
find a frenzy of change and flux everywhere, even in those places
derisively described as "sleepy backwaters."

Despite your eon-long odyssey through the ethereal realm, you blazed across
the sky at 50 times the speed of sound and raged as hot as a blast
furnace.     Though you will soon be forgotten, for now, at least, you're
the talk of planet Earth.     Good show!

*Incidentally, three cheers to the old world  sorcerers who have loitered
about since the troubled reign of Charles I.    The foliage they have cast
onto the forests this year has been iridescent dragon fire! Drop dead,
howling with agony gorgeous.

https://lists.maine.edu/cgi-bin/wa?SUBED1=DAILY-ASTRONOMER&A=
<https://lists.maine.edu/cgi-bin/wa?SUBED1=DAILY-ASTRONOMER&A=1>