THE SOUTHWORTH PLANETARIUM
70 Falmouth Street      Portland,Maine 04103
(207) 780-4249      usm.maine.edu/planet
43.6667° N    70.2667° W  Altitude:  10 feet below sea level Founded
January 1970
2021-2022: XX
"Heaven is under our feet as well as over our heads."
-Henry David Thoreau

THE DAILY ASTRONOMER Wednesday, September 29, 2021
Vertical Earth

________________
*Here's to you, JV!*
________________

__________________________________
*From the Department of Redundancy Department*
Correction to yesterday's article,which included the following sentence:

*First of all, if we could construct a scale-model map of the Milky Way
that covered all of North America, our solar system would fit neatly into
the solar system*

Well. The sentence should have read

*First of all, if we could construct a scale-model map of the Milky Way
that covered all of North America, our solar system would fit neatly into a
coffee cup.*

A careless and clumsy error.  However, in our defense, the terms "solar
system" and "coffee cup" are easily confused.
_____________________________________

We were initially going to begin today's article by instructing you to
close your eyes. Then, we realized -or, actually, a more sensible person
told us- that if your eyes were shut, you couldn't continue to read to
obtain further instructions. So, please close one eye! While the opened eye
remains focused on the dynamic world around you, the closed eye should be
looking into the infinite catacombs of alternate Universes. That is one
particularly delightful feature of your remarkable brain which, we needn't
remind you, is the most wondrously complex object in the cosmos.* At
thought speed, one can modify any part of the cosmos and then work out how
that modification might alter physical reality. Scientists refer to this
delightful form of mind play as a "thought experiment."
We'll enjoy a thought experiment today by addressing a question sent to us
by long-time subscriber *JV:*

*"Have any astronomers or earth scientists addressed the question of what
Earth’s weather would be like if it did not have its tilt? Would the
Northern and Southern Hemispheres have, based on latitude, the same
temperature year round?"*

Although this splendid question opens pores in the impermeable membrane
separating astronomy and meteorology, we shall do our best to address the
issue.   First, a quick reminder that Earth is tilted by 23.5 degrees
relative to the vertical, or to the ecliptic plane, defined as the plane of
Earth's orbit around the Sun.

[image: diagram-showing-effect-earth-axis-illustration-171149103.jpg]

As Earth revolves around the Sun, the poles continuously change
orientations relative to it. On the summer (June) solstice, the north pole
is aligned as close to the Sun as possible while the south pole is pointed
away from it. The reverse situation occurs on the winter (December)
solstice. Neither pole is directed toward the Sun on the two equinoxes,
spring (March) and autumn (September).

If Earth were not tilted relative to its orbital plane, we'd experience an
equinox every single day of the year. How would that change our weather and
sky?
This is where we can combine our collective scientific knowledge and
imaginations to work out the ramifications.

If Earth had no tilt, or *obliquity*:

   - The Sun would always rise due east and set due west
   - The Sun would always be directly overhead at the equator
   - Our day length would be close to, but not exactly, 12 hours
   - The Sun would remain visible along the horizon at the north and south
   poles forever. The stars would never be visible there or within a 6 - 8
   degree region away from either pole due to twilight effects.

Those are a few of the astronomical ramifications. The meteorological
consequences would be profound. First, we wouldn't experience the same
seasonal variations we now all enjoy. The Sun would neither ascend to the
summer heights nor plunge into the winter lows as it does now. The
prevalent conditions at any given location would indeed depend on latitude.

The tropics, defined as the region between 23.5 degrees N and 23.5 degrees
S would still remain quite hot. The tropics are so warm because the Sun's
angle is sufficiently high so as to heat the surface quite efficiently.
Even though the Sun could only occupy the zenith at the equator, the noon
time sun at either tropic would attain an altitude of 66.5 degrees,
slightly less than the Sun's noon time altitude in Portland on the June
solstice. Moreover, the Sun would reach that same height at both tropics
every day. Also, the Sun's noon altitude at latitudes closer to the equator
would be ever higher. The tropics will still remain extremely hot and
enchanting.

Regions farther to the north and south would become progressively cooler
with increasing distance from the tropics. However, here at the mid
latitudes we'd experience little change in temperature. We know that in the
real world, the spring equinox is generally colder than the autumnal
equinox because the former equinox follows winter while the latter one is
preceded by summer. Were Earth not tilted, the temperature would be
somewhere between that of the frigid March equinox and the much warmer
September equinox.

We would still experience weather, however. Although weather system
dynamics is complexity squared,cubed and inscribed in hieroglyphics, all
weather is ultimately driven by one phenomenon: the planet attempting to
reach a state of thermal equilibrium. While the tropics receive an
abundance of heat energy, the poles suffer from an utter lack of it.
Consequently, some of that tropical heat will migrate to cooler regions.
This heat exchange helps to produce convection cells and drive ocean
currents. So, Earth wouldn't become a meteorologically stagnant planet.
Just a boring one for most of us.

A meteorologist would be able to offer a far more detailed answer because
there are most assuredly aspects that I have missed. However, I hope the
answer was sensible.
We should end by mentioning that Earth's obliquity doesn't remain constant.
It slowly vacillates between 22.1 degrees and 24.5 degrees over a 40,000
year period. Earth's obliquity reached its maximum value approximately
8,000 years ago and has been decreasing ever since. The tilt will be at a
minimum in about 12,000 years. These axial tilt variations are important
factors in climatic Milankovitch cycles, a brain-liquefying concept that
we'll cheerfully avoid.

[image: obliquity.jpg]

*Well, yes, we acknowledge that the Universe likely teems with an
incalculable number of life forms. It is also quite likely that many
species have attained logarithmically higher levels of both technological
and intellectual sophistication. However, until those exalted beings arrive
at our shores to expose themselves, we will safely assume that the human
brain sits comfortably atop the complexity pyramid.

https://lists.maine.edu/cgi-bin/wa?SUBED1=DAILY-ASTRONOMER&A=
<https://lists.maine.edu/cgi-bin/wa?SUBED1=DAILY-ASTRONOMER&A=1>