"I have no special talent. I am only passionately curious."
-Albert Einstein

THE DAILY ASTRONOMER
Monday, September 13, 2021
November's Micromoon Eclipse Part I: An Inconvenient Timing

[image: penumbra.jpg]
*Lunar eclipse*: the passage of the moon through Earth's shadow. Such
eclipses can only occur when the moon is at opposition (full)

So, we'll begin this brand new week with one of those fiendishly tricky,
neuron-fraying philosophical conundrums. So, here goes. We're going to
experience a nearly total lunar eclipse on November 19, 2021. As this
eclipse will occur after midnight, we don't expect many people to join us
at the Southworth Planetarium to observe it. See the tricky little problem?
Well, if the lunar eclipse occurs on the 19th after midnight, does it
actually occur on the night of November 18-19 or will it happen on the
night of November 19-20? In the unforgiving realm of mathematical
astronomy, such details tend to be important. There is nothing more
soul-deflating than organizing a gathering to observe a celestial spectacle
that ended 24 hours before.

Well, we'll tell you. The eclipse occurs on the night of November 18-
19th.  So, the actual eclipse will happen in the wee hours of November
19th.     Before we proceed with the nuts, bolts, wires and grommets, we'll
offer the following time-line, valid for Portland, ME but relatively close
for the surrounding areas.

*Friday, November 19th*

   - *1:02 a.m.  Penumbral Eclipse begins.    *If you wake up just for this
   part, you'll be sorely disappointed.    The moon's brightness hardly
   diminishes at all when passing through the penumbra, or outer part of
   Earth's shadow.     Apart from the satisfaction of knowing that you're
   witnessing a celestial event, the penumbral part will likely not offer much
   scintillation or inspiration.
   - *2:18 a.m.  Umbral Eclipse begins.      *Now the action starts!   At
   2:18 a.m, the moon makes contact with the umbra, defined as Earth's inner
   shadow.  We can watch Earth's shadow arc migrating across the moon's face.
   Initially, it will appear as a fuzzy shade along the lunar limb. That
   shadow will soon become sharp and distinct.     One can well understand why
   some ancient sky watchers ascribed an eclipse to a large black dragon
   devouring the moon.
   - *4:02 a.m. Maximum Eclipse     *Another tricky aspect to this eclipse.
   It is not technically total, meaning that the entire moon isn't immersed in
   the umbra.   Although this eclipse is partial, it's almost total.  Let's
   look at a lovely graphic:

[image: Lunar_eclipse_chart_close-2021Nov19 (1).png]
Almost all of the moon will pass into Earth's umbra during the November
19th event. However, a small southern sliver won't.  This partial eclipse
will therefore look very much like a total lunar eclipse.

   - *5:47 a.m. Umbral Eclipse ends   *After the moon reaches the maximum
   eclipse it will begin the slow move out of the umbra.    At 5;47 a.m. the
   moon will only be immersed in the penumbra.   As a penumbral eclipse hardly
   obscures the moon at all, the visual part of this eclipse is over.
   - *6:50 a.m.  Moon set    *Those observers who actually want to see the
   penumbral eclipse will have 1 hour and 3 minutes to do so.
   - *7:03 a.m. Penumbral Eclipse ends.     *Nothing to see here.  Of
   course, at this phase, there wasn't much to see, anyway.

Note also the following solar time-line:

   - *5:00 a.m. Astronomical twilight begins    *The Sun will be 18 degrees
   from the horizon at this moment.   The first hints of atmospheric light
   scattering are visible.  However, at 5:00 a.m. the sky will still appear
   quite dark.  Light along the eastern horizon should first become noticeable
   around 5:10 - 5:15 a.m.
   - *5:34 a.m.  Nautical twilight begins. *    Nautical twilight begins
   when the Sun is 12 degrees below the horizon.    Now the horizon becomes
   visible and only the brightest stars and planets remain in view.
   Incidentally, no planets will truly be visible at this time.  Mars rises at
   5:31 a.m., but as it will be only moderately bright and very low on the
   horizon, it will be exceedingly difficult to observe.*
   - *6:09 a.m.  Civil twilight begins.   *The sun will be six degrees
   below the horizon. Welcome to dawn!  Only the moon remains visible and will
   look no different from any other moon, except it will be full and very
   close to the western horizon
   - *6:41 a.m.  Sun rise*

So, there you have it: a post midnight, nearly total, almost entirely
visible micro-moon lunar eclipse...just like so many others.   (And, yes,
there have been thousands of them throughout our planet's history.)

The "micromoon," incidentally, refers to the full moon that occurs when the
moon is at or near apogee, the point at which the moon is at the greatest
distance and so appears smaller than other full moons.    This full moon is
considered to be a micro-moon because apogee occurs on November 21st.
While one will hardly notice the size difference, the micromoon is
important because the moon moves more slowly when at apogee than it does
when it is closer to Earth.  As Kepler's second planetary motion law
explains, a body close to the Sun moves faster than a more distant planet.
The same principle applies to any body orbiting around another.  So, this
eclipse will last longer than it would have lasted had the moon been
closer.

Tomorrow,  the Two Diagrams

*Venus, Jupiter and Saturn will have all set the previous evening.  Mercury
will rise at 6:14 a.m., but won't be observable as it will appear during
civil twilight.

https://lists.maine.edu/cgi-bin/wa?SUBED1=DAILY-ASTRONOMER&A=
<https://lists.maine.edu/cgi-bin/wa?SUBED1=DAILY-ASTRONOMER&A=1>