Hello all,

First, I want to congratulate the UMaine and UMPI Talent Search programs as
they found out their grants were funded! Congrats to Karen Keim, Carol
McGlinn, and their colleagues on writing successful and impressive grant
proposals! Your work has brought about such good things for Maine students
and families. These grants will provide services to 1,111 students and
$616K/year for UMaine and 500 students with $277K/year for UMPI.

Next, we are waiting on the announcement of UMaine's EOC grant. Some EOC
programs received notification yesterday, but the UMaine program is funded
through 2022 and COE estimates it could be a week or two before they hear.
Keep your fingers crossed and your UMaine EOC colleagues in your positive
thoughts.

As a UB professional, I cannot help but also give a huge shout-out to my UB
colleagues around the state. Each program offered a summer program, with a
mix of both virtual and in-person offerings for students. All of the COVID
planning, as well as holding the academic, emotional, mental, and physical
well-being of the students (and staff) was no small feat. Congrats to all.

A few updates from COE:

   - The Biden/Harris budget proposes a $200M funding increase each of the
   next 5 years. So far, the House has approved an $200.8M increase to TRIO
   for FY22, so the bill will go to the Senate in September.
   - The increase in FY22 would potentially go toward McNair, UB, UBMS, and
   VUB programs.
   - There are no TRIO programs requesting funding for FY23 and FY24. COE
   hopes that funding could go toward funding lost Talent Search, EOC, and
   even SSS programs.
   - With a doubling of TRIO programs, COE is interested in hearing how you
   would like to see the increase designated. Would you like to serve more
   students? Or would you like to see programs expanded to more high schools?
   Or would you like the restrictions on funding changed? You can reply to me
   or email Angelica <[log in to unmask]> with your thoughts.
   - If you are attending the COE Annual Conference, please consider
   volunteering
   <https://signup.com/client/invitation2/secure/857008913291126064/false#/invitation>
   !

The Department of Ed has reached out to COE, aware that many people working
in TRIO or other grant-funded programs are unable to access the Public
Service Loan Forgiveness program. Please fill out this form
<https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLScPaIYMSKxn5-BhN8AnneaSBN4MO7K1r-8fz6De_84m6xnAew/viewform>
for data on how professionals (you) are able to pay their student loans.

Finally, my year of serving as MEEOA President finishes this month. It has
been a great experience and I am thankful to have been a part of a
supportive group of colleagues and partners all around the state. I have
learned and grown in ways I could have never expected, so thank you all for
your encouragement and help, especially the MEEOA board and my UMF
colleagues. I am excited to work with Samantha Prosser as she takes on the
challenges and joys of 2021-22.

Be well,
Mary

*Mary Sinclair*
Student Services Coordinator, Upward Bound
<http://www2.umf.maine.edu/upwardbound/>
University of Maine at Farmington
252 Main Street, Farmington, ME 04938
207.778.7429 (w) 207.712.2930 (c)
Toll Free: 1.888.237.1667
pronouns: she/her

*President, Maine Educational Opportunity Association
<https://www.meeoa.org/index.php?id=1>*