THE SOUTHWORTH PLANETARIUM 207-780-4249   www.usm.maine.edu/planet
<http://www.google.com/url?q=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.usm.maine.edu%2Fplanet&sa=D&sntz=1&usg=AFQjCNHulkHuLP13bOG2PkNrPazsGWFs2A>
70 Falmouth Street   Portland, Maine 04103 43.6667° N
 70.2667° W  Altitude:  10 feet below sea level Founded January 1970 Julian
Date:  2459374.18
2020-2021: CXLIV

THE DAILY ASTRONOMER
Wednesday, June 9, 2021
Partial Solar Eclipse Review

Well, heavens!   This partial solar eclipse has made short work of our
itinerary.    Tomorrow, we'll post the final part of our June 2021 night
sky calendar...we think.   We have been inundated with inquiries pertaining
to tomorrow's partial solar eclipse.    So, we decided to devote another
article to it and will use the Q/A format.

*WHEN WILL THE PARTIAL ECLIPSE OCCUR?*
The partial solar eclipse will be in progress at sunrise.   Sun rises in
Portland around 4:59 a.m. on Thursday, June 10th.    By that time, the
eclipse will already be in progress.    Refer to the following time table:

Time table for Portland.   Times vary at other locations.

   - 4:38:57 a.m.      Eclipse begins.  (Sun will be below the horizon)
   - 4:59:12 a.m.       Sunrise.    The sun will be 50% obscured by the
   moon at this time.
   - 5:34:48 a.m.      Maximum eclipse.   Obscuration:  74%    The Sun will
   look like a thin crescent
   - 6:34:44 a.m.      Partial eclipse ends.

*WHERE DO I HAVE TO GO TO SEE THE ANNULAR ECLIPSE?*
Refer to the map below.   To see the annular eclipse, one would have to
travel to the narrow region within the red band containing the
circles/ellipses.  That band extends from Canada through the high Arctic
and into Russia.

[image: SE2021Jun10A.png]

*COULD I LOOK AT THE ECLIPSE WHEN THE SUN RISES?  I'VE WATCHED A SUN RISE
BEFORE WITHOUT EYE PROTECTION.*
Yes, I have watched a sunrise without eye protection as well, but STOPPED
looking at the Sun when it was fully above the horizon.   Honestly, you do
not want to assume any risks with your eyesight.   We STRONGLY recommend
eye protection even when the Sun is rising and low on the horizon.
Eclipse glasses -which we don't have, unfortunately- or welder's glass with
a rating at least equal to 14.

*WILL THERE BE ANY GATHERINGS TO WATCH THE ECLIPSE?*
Yes.  The Southern Maine Astronomers will have observation groups stationed
at Portland's Eastern Promenade and Ft. Williams Park in Cape Elizabeth.

*WHEN WILL WE NEXT BE ABLE TO SEE A PARTIAL SOLAR ECLIPSE?*
*October 23, 2023.*
That partial eclipse will occur later in the day and the obscuration
percentage will be less than 50%.   The following solar eclipse will occur
on April 8, 2024: the total solar eclipse that will be visible in Maine!

*WHAT'S THE FORECAST FOR TOMORROW?*
Well, it seems promising!
Sunny and pleasant, according to the meteorologists.
Mornings can always be a bit dicey, especially around coastal regions,
however.  Atlantic coast inhabitants know that wayward clouds, banks of fog
and occasional Flying Dutchman visitations can obscure what would otherwise
be a sublimely sunny morning.

https://lists.maine.edu/cgi-bin/wa?SUBED1=DAILY-ASTRONOMER&A=
<https://lists.maine.edu/cgi-bin/wa?SUBED1=DAILY-ASTRONOMER&A=1>