THE SOUTHWORTH PLANETARIUM 207-780-4249   www.usm.maine.edu/planet
<http://www.google.com/url?q=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.usm.maine.edu%2Fplanet&sa=D&sntz=1&usg=AFQjCNHulkHuLP13bOG2PkNrPazsGWFs2A>
70 Falmouth Street   Portland, Maine 04103 43.6667° N
 70.2667° W  Altitude:  10 feet below sea level Founded January 1970 Julian
Date:  2459348.18
2020-2021: CXXIX

THE DAILY ASTRONOMER
Friday, May 14, 2021
Week 2 Quiz

Greetings!
We end a four-DA week with a test that is shorter than usual due to the
lack of material.
We offer questions about the moon, empty inner space, sunlight and, of
course, Orion the Hunter.   Enjoy!  See you on Monday!

*1.  Remove all the empty space from the Moon and the remaining material
would fit inside _________________.*
a. a major city
b. the world's largest football stadium
c. the Southworth Planetarium's star dome theatre
d. a soup can

*2. If all the empty space were squeezed out of all the human beings who've
ever lived, including those who are alive now, the remaining material would
fit inside_____________*
a. a four-story elevator shaft
b. the Southworth Planetarium's star dome theatre
c. a soup can
d. a area as large as a sugar cube

*3.  When you're looking at the moon, the light photons entering your eye
actually touched the lunar soil __________ before.*
a. 12 hours
b. 1.2 hours
c. 1.2 minutes
d. 1.2 seconds

*4.  Every second, ____________ of stars are born throughout the Universe.*
a. dozens
b. scores
c. hundreds
d. thousands

*5.  Earth's receives _____________ of the Sun's energy*
a.  one billionth
b. one millionth
c. one hundredth
d. one tenth

*6.  The solar energy that strikes our planet today was generated in the
Sun's core about ______________ years ago.*
a.  100
b. 10,000
c. 50.000
d. 300,000

*7.  The constellation we call Orion has also been which of the following
characters throughout history?  (Could be more or less than one.)*
a.  Gilgamesh
b.  Long Sash
c.  Osiris
d. Elvis

ANSWERS

*1.  Remove all the empty space from the Moon and the remaining material
would fit inside _________________.*
d. a soup can
Tell us that's not a sobering statement.    The entire moon, if reduced to
its solid material, would be as large as a soup can.   This example helps
us to understand that all "solid" objects, neutron stars apart, consist
primarily of empty space.

*2. If all the empty space were squeezed out of all the human beings who've
ever lived, including those who are alive now, the remaining material would
fit inside_____________*
d. a area as large as a sugar cube
So, if you thought the answer to the first question was sobering..  We are
wraiths, my friends, so help yourself to that second doughnut.    Take all
the people throughout all of history and mix them together with all the
people who are alive today...wring out the nothingness and you have nothing
more than an immensely dense "sugar cube" of material.

*3.  When you're looking at the moon, the light photons entering your eye
actually touched the lunar soil __________ before.*
d. 1.2 seconds
The moon is the closest celestial object to Earth.      On average, the
moon is 240,000 miles, or 1.2 light seconds, from our planet.   While it is
true that one sees the moon as it was in the past, it will be unchanged in
1.2 seconds.

*4.  Every second, ____________ of stars are born throughout the Universe.*
d. thousands
The cosmos is prodigiously creative!   Thousands of stars are added to the
Universe every single second.     Around most of these stars, planets will
form.   It is highly probable that some of these worlds will became
life-bearing.     All that exists in the physical Universe staggers the
imagination!

*5.  Earth's receives _____________ of the Sun's energy*
a.  one billionth
Even though we get a minuscule fraction of the Sun's energy, it is
sufficient to power our world!

*6.  The solar energy that strikes our planet today was generated in the
Sun's core about ______________ years ago.*
d. 300,000
As soon as energy is created in the core through thermonuclear fusion
reactions, it is absorbed.  Over the course of 300,000 years or so, the
energy is constantly absorbed and then re-emitted until it finally reaches
the photosphere and then escapes into outer space.

*7.  The constellation we call Orion has also been which of the following
characters throughout history?  (Could be more or less than one.)*
a.  Gilgamesh
b.  Long Sash
c.  Osiris
Orion has assumed many guises throughout history, but has never been the
King of Rock and Roll.

https://lists.maine.edu/cgi-bin/wa?SUBED1=DAILY-ASTRONOMER&A=
<https://lists.maine.edu/cgi-bin/wa?SUBED1=DAILY-ASTRONOMER&A=1>