70 Falmouth Street   Portland, Maine 04103 43.6667° N                   70.2667° W  Altitude:  10 feet below sea level Founded January 1970 Julian Date:  2459318.18
2020-2021: CXI

THE DAILY ASTRONOMER
Wednesday, April 14, 2021
Exploratorium XLI:  Solar Eclipse April 8, 2024

Location
           New England
Time
           Yes, you're correct

Less than three years!
We are less than three years away from what will most assuredly be described as this generation's most dazzling celestial spectacle: the total solar eclipse on April 8, 2024!    Dubbed "Great American Eclipse II," -the first "Great American Eclipse" occurred in August 2017-, this eclipse will be visible along a path extending from the South Pacific though Mexico, the US and into Canada.

         SE2024Apr08T.png

That totality path, as it's called, will also pass through western and northern Maine.  The image below shows the precise location.     Although the total solar eclipse won't be visible in Portland -dagnabit- the skies will go dark all over the state and region during totality: the time when the moon moves directly in front of the Sun.

map_maine_2024.png

Consider today's Exploratorium as Chapter I of DCCC pertaining to the Great American Eclipse 2024.     Even though the totality event will last only a few minutes, this eclipse will command the attention of all but the most uninterested.      (And even they will note the abrupt onset of darkness.)

Although the times will vary slightly, the totality will begin around 3:30 p.m. on April 8,2024 and will last no more than three minutes. (Durations vary depending on location.)            However, prior to and after totality, one will observe the moon partially covering the Sun as it moves onto and then away from it.      Those observers outside the totality path will only see a partial eclipse, the magnitude of which will decrease with increasing distance away from the path.    For instance, observers in southern Maine and northwest Texas will see nearly all of the Sun covered.   However, observers in the Yukon and Panama, which occupy either edge of the eclipse "zone," will see only a sliver of the moon covering the Sun.    When it comes to solar eclipses, LOCATION is all important.

The totality path is so narrow because the moon's shadow cone tapers down to a small area by the time it reaches Earth.    As Earth spins and as the moon moves,  this tiny shadow describes a path across a part of the planet known as the totality path.

cones.0885_print.jpg
This artistic depiction of the 2017 solar eclipse shows how the moon's shadow tapers down to a small area by the time it reaches our planet.    Image: NASA

Over the course of the 1095 days remaining until the 2024 solar eclipse, we will be explaining absolutely EVERYTHING about it: from safe ways to view it, to eclipse geometry, to the series of eclipses that have occurred in its saros cycle (#139).

How inexpressibly exciting this event is going to be!
We just can't wait...but we'll wait, anyway.

https://lists.maine.edu/cgi-bin/wa?SUBED1=DAILY-ASTRONOMER&A=