Julian Date:  2459261.18
2020-2021:  XC

THE DAILY ASTRONOMER
Monday, February 15, 2021
Exploratorium XXIII:  November 2021 Lunar Eclipse    I

Time
      November 18 - 19, 2021

Location
          Earth

During today and tomorrow's Exploratorium*, we'll propel ourselves into the future,  though only by a matter of months.    We're preparing for the next lunar eclipse that will be wholly visible from our part of Earth.      Wednesday, we'll em
bark on a more ambitious temporal excursion by skipping around a Saros cycle. (More about this matter on Wednesday.)

On the night of November 18-19, 2021, the full moon will pass through Earth's inner shadow, a region called the umbra.  Although this event will technically be a partial lunar eclipse, it will still look very much like a total lunar eclipse. At the time when it is almost fully immersed in the umbra, the moon will still exhibit a reddish glow.

We offer the following timeline specific for Portland (ME):

Lunar_eclipse_chart_close-2021Nov19.png

November 19, 2021:

1:02:09 a.m.  PENUMBRAL ECLIPSE BEGINS
Not much to see at this point.   The full moon begins to enter the penumbra, the outer part of Earth's shadow.    The moon's brightness experiences only slight diminishment even when fully immersed in the penumbra.   The visible part of this event begins when the moon first contacts the umbra.

2:18:42 a,m.  UMBRAL ECLIPSE BEGINS
At this moment, one will first see a small arc of dark shadow projected onto the full.    This shadow slowly expands until it almost covers the entire moon at the point called maximum eclipse.

4:02:55 a.m.  MAXIMUM ECLIPSE
This event is technically a partial lunar eclipse, so we shall not experience totality.   Maximum eclipse marks the moment when the moon is covered by as much of the umbral shadow as possible.    At the moment of maximum eclipse, about 97.4% of the moon's angular diameter will be covered by the umbral shadow.   Consequently, only a minute sliver of the moon will remain outside the umbra.      As we can see in the above image, the moon glides through the lower section of the umbra.

5:47:04 a.m.   UMBRAL ECLIPSE ENDS
The visible part of the eclipse ends.  By this time the sky will have already started to brighten due to nautical twilight, which begins at 5:34 a.m.  The penumbral eclipse continues until  7:03:40 a.m.   However, the moon will set at 6:51 a.m.  rendering it invisible to us, anyway.   Then again, as mentioned previously, a penumbral eclipse isn't visible, anyway.

                      lunar_eclipse_geometry.png

The graphic above shows a simplified, not-to-scale model of a lunar eclipse.   Earth's tapering shadow cone extends about 840,000 miles into space.    So, when the full moon is aligned with the ecliptic, the plane connecting Earth and the Sun,  it will invariably pass through at least a part of this shadow, as the moon's distance cannot currently exceed 260,000 miles.

We don't experience lunar and solar eclipses each month because of the moon's inclination angle (5.1 degrees) relative to the ecliptic.    Generally when the moon is full or new, it will pass either north or south of the ecliptic plane and no eclipse will occur.  Only when the moon is at or close to a node, the intersection between the moon's plane and the ecliptic, when anew (at conjunction) or full (at opposition) will an eclipse happen.       At times, the eclipse will only be partial, as, for instance, when the moon passes through only part of the umbra or penumbra or when the new moon moves across only a part of the Sun.

                   unnamed.gif

Tomorrow, we'll continue our lunar eclipse discussion, which will include the all-important Saros cycle.

*We split some articles into two parts due to the number of images we use in then.  The system doesn't like image-laden posts and often rejects them.

https://lists.maine.edu/cgi-bin/wa?SUBED1=DAILY-ASTRONOMER&A=