Julian Date:  2459226.18
2020-2021:  LXX

THE DAILY ASTRONOMER
Tuesday, January 12, 2021
Exploratorium V:  Before and After Tycho  Part II

Part II:   After

Time:
        108 million years ago

Location:
         Earth   Mid-Cretaceous period

While we watch the blinding flash on the moon caused by the asteroid impact, we should now explain how much we can know and what we can't know as we embark on these imaginary excursions to remote space-time destinations.     We are confident that 108 million years before our home time period, an asteroid crashed onto the moon to create the structure we now call "Crater Tycho."      We are also quite certain that Earth looks quite different in the mid-Cretaceous than it does in modern day due to tectonic shifting.

We don't know the correct lunar phase:  was the moon full or new or at waning crescent or at some other phase?   I decided to make the moon full for dramatic effect.    The actual phase is, like so much of the past, unknowable.    We can go on these voyages because the scientific method humans developed have given us powerful tools to determine much of what transpired in the past and many events that will occur in the future.          But, not everything.

As we jump through different time periods, we will begin to know much more about Crater Tycho and why it is so named.     For now, we recline in the miasmic mid-Cretaceous world and admire the incandescent flash of the asteroid impact.      We don't know also if the dinosaurs and other creatures are noticing the light.   It would be rather ironic if they did, as a similar impact will end the Cretaceous period (and the era of the non-avian dinosaurs) in about 43 million years from now.     Although we can't see it, the plummeting asteroid vaporized on impact and left a crater more than 80 miles wide and four miles deep.   Rays extending in all directions attest to the impact's power as material will scatter along the lunar terrain and even into outer space.     The moon's gravity is 1/6th as powerful as Earth's so many fragments displaced by the impact will escape the moon's gravity.    Some of these lunar meteorites will likely land on Earth.

Allan_Hills_81005,_lunar_meteorite.jpg
Allan Hills A81005
The first lunar meteorite discovered on Earth was found by John Schutt and Ian Whillans in 1982.  This specimen was named for the Allan Hills, which are part of the Transantarctic Mountain range in Antarctica where many meteorites are found.   Chemical analysis shows it to have been a lunar fragment.  Since its discovery, more than 370 lunar meteorites have been found on Earth.

download.jpg

So, the questions remain:  why does it still remain on the lunar terrain after all these years, why do we call it Crater Tycho (or Tycho Crater, if you prefer),and how can we possibly know its age?

Well, the first question is rather simple. Remember when we stood on the moon's surface and observed the crystalline sky?   The night sky was so clear because the moon lacks an atmosphere.    It also lacks any flowing water or weather systems of any kind.  There is no erosion on the moon as one would find on Earth.  The craters remain for millions or billions of years.

Now, as to the name....

Time
           1575 (AD/CE)

Location
           Island of Hveen

A small, beautiful Swedish island.    That incomplete structure one can observe in the distance is the beginning of Uraniborg, an observatory run by Danish astronomer Tycho Brahe.   He will be using that observatory to make meticulous observations of Mars.   I decided to land here so as to not encounter him or any one else.  From all accounts, he is rather an eccentric fellow with many disagreeable traits : a person best admired from a distance.  Eventually,his more congenial mathematical assistant Johannes Kepler will analyze these records to devise his three famous planetary laws.    We repeat them here:

Kepler would not have been able to discover these laws were it not for Tycho's highly detailed observations.      For this reason, Tycho Brahe is considered the grand patriarch of observational astronomy.   His accomplishments are all the more impressive considering that he died almost a decade before Hans Lippershey invented the telescope.

Next destination:

Time
     June 1598

Location
           Ferrara, a province in northern Italy.

Sigh.
Yes, we're looking down at a napping baby.   His name is Giovanni Battista Riccioli. He is two months old and sleeping soundly despite our presence.   Even if he awakens to see us, the ramifications to the time stream will likely be minimal.       Though he will mature to become one of Italy's foremost astronomers, Riccioli won't become nearly as famous as the revered native son Galileo.    However, he will be quite noteworthy for his published works, including the 1651  Almagestum Novum ("New Almagest") in which he included lunar charts with named craters.  He started the practice of assigning proper names to craters, including Tycho, who, in 1598, is still alive and will soon begin work with Kepler.   Tycho died about half a century before the New Almagest's publication.  By that time, of course, he experienced something of an astronomical apotheosis: a person worthy of being the namesake of the moon's most prominent crater.

And, finally...

Time
        December 7, 1792

Location
         Kennedy Space Center Launch Complex 39

Cover your ears!
A Saturn V rocket just issued that thunderous sound.   The skyscraper-tall rocket has just left Earth's surface.   There it is: like a dart propelled by contrails against the boundless blue sky.      Three astronauts, Harrison "Jack" Schmidt, Eugene Cernan, and Ronald Evans, are aboard the vessel en route to the moon.     Schmidt and Cernan will be the last two Apollo astronauts to walk on the moon.  (Evans will remain in the capsule.)    Although they will land well away from the Tycho Crater, the Apollo 17 astronauts will collect material believed to have been expelled by the impact that created it.     Through the process of radiometric dating, geologists analyzed the rocks these astronauts collected to ascertain an age of 108 million years.

Understanding radiometric dating requires a discussion about half life.
Every radioactive substance emits radiation and in the process becomes a different element.     The amount of time required for one half of a given radioactive sample to disintegrate into its daughter element is known as a half life.     Let's say a given substance has a half life of 20 years, just to make the math simple.     If one had 10 kilogram of that material today, only 5 kilograms would remain after 20 years.  Only 2.5 kilograms would remain after 40 years and 1.25 kilograms after 60 years.     Fortunately, many elements are radioactive and have half lives measuring in the thousands, millions or even billions of years.        Consequently, the ages of extremely old objects such as Earth and Crater Tycho can be ascertained by measuring the ratio of a parent radioactive product to a daughter product.

Understanding the natural and cultural history of Crater Tycho required a few leaps around the space-time continuum.   We know why it exists, how long ago it was formed and why it is named Tycho.   We also knot that it will likely last as long as the moon does.  The only erosive force on the moon is through  micro-meteorite cratering.  Just think of little sand particles that strike the ground every so often.   These micro meteorites will need about half a million years to wick away the Apollo astronaut footprints.    Not nearly enough time will elapse so as to erase a crater the size of Tycho.

https://lists.maine.edu/cgi-bin/wa?SUBED1=DAILY-ASTRONOMER&A=