Julian Date: 2459199.16
2020-2021:  LIX

THE DAILY ASTRONOMER
Tuesday, December 15, 2020
Remote Planetarium 132:  The Sloan Great Wall

First, a very rapid review of our previous progression:
Earth =>  Solar System => Orion-Cygnus Spiral Arm => Milky Way Galaxy => Local Group of Galaxies => Virgo Supercluster => Laniakea => Pisces-Cetus Supercluster Complex.

We have now advanced to the level of the grandest structures in the observable Universe
Today, we explore the Sloan Great Wall   .

sloan.png

Located more than 1 billion light years from Earth, the Sloan Great Wall measures nearly 1.4 billion light years in length, equal to about 1/60th the diameter of the observable Universe.    The image below shows the "Great Wall" at the left.  Notice that the Pisces-Cetus Supercluster Complex appears as a filamentary structure to the right

2dfdtfe.gif

Once thought to have been the largest single structure in the observable Universe, the Sloan Great Wall now ranks sixth.   However, some astronomers believe that the SGW isn't a single coherent structure, but is, instead, three different structures lacking in any gravitational cohesion.

Its name derives from the Sloan Digital Survey that  J. Richard Gott III, a Princeton University astronomer and his team used to discover the structure in 2003.

We are nearing the end of our travels from Earth's sky to the observable Universe.
Tomorrow, we'll take the penultimate step in that journey.