Hey Seth - if you're a Chromebook or MacBook school, we've found this
chrome extension
<https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/whos-on-first-for-google/hcmfiojjabalmocooehjjcbgdicfeijb>
to work to keep students from joining a Google Meet until the teacher has
started the Meet. Doesn't matter if the Meet was created in Calendar,
Classroom or Meet itself - the extension will only let the creator of the
Meet session start the Meet and then others may join. We don't allow our
students to start their own Meets either. So far so good! Teachers may also
want to turn off Quick Access - that could help on it's own. Google is
starting to roll out the ability to turn off Quick Access when creating a
Google Meet from Calendar this morning. They also recently announced sticky
settings where once Quick Access is turned off for a recurring or
Nicknamed Meet it will stay off.

(One thing to note around the extension method I linked above- we only
enable Chrome as the browser on student MacBooks (Safari is disabled) so
this works for our 7/8 and our 3-6 are on Chromebooks so this works for us.
If your students are on iPads or use Safari, this method won't work.)

KJ Flewelling
AOS 93 Technology Director
GSB Technology Coordinator
Great Salt Bay School <http://greatsaltbayschool.org>