Julian Date: 24591156.16
2020-2021:  XXXVII

THE DAILY ASTRONOMER
Monday, November 2, 2020
Remote Planetarium 115:   Cosmic Distance Ladder - Galaxies

Today we address the question, "How can we humans possibly ascertain the distances to galaxies?"   The Andromeda system, the closest major galaxy to our own, is approximately 2.2 million light years away.      The myriad galaxies comprising the Virgo Supercluster are tens or hundreds of million of light years from us.   How do astronomers determine such vast distances?

Cepheid review
 First, we need to review the Cepheid variable method that enables astronomers to determine the distances to the closest galaxies.        Cepheids are variable stars whose variability is directly related to luminosity.  The longer the variability period, the more luminous the star.    By observing the amount of time separating successive maxima (times when the brightness is at maximum), an astronomer can measure the Cepheid's true brightness . Through use of the distance modulus equation, one can determine the Cepheid variable star's distance if its intrinsic brightness (absolute magnitude M) and apparent brightness (apparent magnitude m) are both known.

unnamed.png
The distance modulus formula:   m = apparent magnitude, M = absolute magnitude; d = distance (in parsecs).   A Cepheid variable's period is directly related to its absolute magnitude.   By comparing the true to apparent brightness, the star's distance is known. By extension, the distance to the star's host galaxy will also be determined.

The problem with the Cepheid variable method is distance limitation.     The method is valid out to 20 million light years.  While a considerable distance, the cosmos is immensely larger.      In order to measure the distances of more remote galaxies, astronomers generally rely on a technique related to the Universal expansion.

In 1929, Edwin Hubble (1889-1953)  announced his discovery that the Universe is expanding in all directions.    This expansion is a consequence of the Big Bang, the primordial event that created the cosmos.  Ever since its inception around 13.8 billion years ago, the cosmos has been growing steadily larger.   Consequently, the galaxies within it appear to move away from each other unless they happen to be so close that gravitational attraction overwhelms the expansion.*      Hubble devised a law relating a galaxy's recession speed and distance:

                                          v  =  H x d

where   v = a galaxy's velocity;  H = Hubble constant; d = distance in megaparsecs.  (One megaparsec equals 3.26 million light years.)  The Hubble Constant is measured in units of kilometers per second per Megaparsec.   One of the most recent Hubble constant estimates, published by a research team led by a University of Oregon astronomer, cites a value of 71.5 for the Hubble Constant.        Any galaxy moving at 71.5 kilometers per second away** from the Milky Way would therefore be located 1 Megaparsec away from the Milky Way. A galaxy receding from the Milky Way at 143 kilometers per second would be 2 Megaparsecs away from us and so forth.

The Hubble Law can tell us a galaxy's distance "simply" by measuring the galaxy's speed.      How can astronomers measure this speed?   By measuring the galaxy's "light shift."   A galaxy consists of innumerable stars, all of which produce light.   If the galaxy is moving away from us, that light will become elongated as a consequence of the recession.

500px-Redshift_blueshift.png
At the top of this simplified diagram a star moves away from the observer. The star's emitted light is "stretched out" as a result of this motion.   The elongation of light increases its wavelength, which decreases its frequency.      The light is shifted toward the red end of the spectrum, as red light has a lower frequency than blue light,   At the diagram's bottom, the star moves toward the observer and its light is compressed.  The wavelength decreases and its frequency increases, shifting the light toward the "blue end" of the spectrum.

main-qimg-1882da28ef34be15ceca6073a1cdd664.webp

In reality, the emitted light is separated into its component colors Within the spectrum one finds a series of absorption lines that occupy specific "rest" wavelengths.    The lines within a spectrum of a receding galaxy shift toward the red end of the spectrum.  The greater the shift, the faster the recession velocity and the more distant the galaxy.

Application of the Hubble Law enables astronomers to measure the distances to remote galaxies throughout the Virgo Super Cluster and throughout the Universe.

Tomorrow, more on how astronomers know what they know about galaxies.

*The Andromeda and Milky Way Galaxies are currently moving toward each other and will collide within 4 - 6 billion years.

**One notable consequence of this revised value is that the Universe's age would be lowered to approximately 12.8 billion years.