Julian Date: 24591137.16
2020-2021:  XXX

THE DAILY ASTRONOMER
Wednesday, October 14, 2020
Remote Planetarium 108:  General Relativity IV:  Gravitational Red-Shifting

Today's lesson focuses on the way that gravity affects light.    To understand these effects, we should first quickly review some of what we already know about light.  Every light photon, be it gamma ray or radio wave, travels at light speed.    If photons lose energy, they will not slow down.  Instead, their frequency will decrease.      In the visible light band -a minute part of the EM spectrum- the colors are separated into violet, indigo, blue, green, yellow, orange and red.  The energy level decreases from the high energy violet toward the low energy red.

wavelength-nm.jpg
The "visible spectrum."  This band includes all the light we can directly observe.  The wavelengths are measured in nanometers, which equals one billionth of a meter.

A photon of light must expend energy whenever it moves away from a gravitational field.      As the light cannot slow down, its energy level or its frequency must decrease.       The decreased frequency results in an increased wavelength.  The light is "red-shifted," meaning that its energy is reduced, not that it is necessarily turning red.

Gravitational_red-shifting2.png
In this highly exaggerated diagram, blue light loses energy as it moves away from a highly massive body.  As a consequence, the light's frequency is decreased and shifted toward the red end of the spectrum.

Though gravitational redshifting is a real phenomenon, and has been confirmed, the actual shifting amount is quite small in most situations.  For instance, imagine a white dwarf star such as Sirius B.*  This small, dense body is 100,000 times more gravitationally powerful than the Sun.   However, the photons leaving its surface would be red-shifted by less than one part in 30,000.   A meager shifting.

The gravitational red-shifting from the surface of a neutron star or around a black hole will tend to be much greater.

main-qimg-8592cf282e48bf83bd1026f89ffee3d6.webp

When a light source is too close to a black hole, the light is infinitely red-shifted, meaning that it cannot escape from the black hole's gravitational pull.    For this reason, the region is "black," or devoid of light.

If a light beam approaches a massive body, it will experience a "blue shift," or an energy increase.   This increase will prove negligible around most massive bodies.  Around a black hole, the light will be infinitely blue shifted and will be similarly trapped within the event horizon.

Yesterday, we learned how Eddington proved that light bends around a star,    Surprisingly, light will also lose energy around one.

Tomorrow, more surprises!

*Remember that a white dwarf star is not a star, but is, instead, a stellar remnant left behind after a solar mass star perishes as a planetary nebula.