Julian Date: 24591120.16
2020-2021:  XIX

THE DAILY ASTRONOMER
Monday, September 28, 2020
Remote Planetarium 97: Special Relativity  I

As we progress further into outer space, it is incumbent on us to delve more deeply into many of the physical laws governing the Universe.     Two of the most important theories related to space-time are the Special Theory of Relativity (1905) and the General Theory of Relativity (1916).     The first pertains to the speed of light, the second to gravitation.    Before we continue with our cosmic tour, we'll devote some time to the Special Theory of Relativity and its astonishing precepts.       We'll cover General Relativity next week.

We begin with a rapid review of Newtonian mechanics, named for Sir Isaac Newton (1643-1727), the patriarch of physical sciences.   Newtonian laws viewed space and time as disparate forces that did not influence each other.      Objects moved from one point in space to another in a fixed amount of time.     The image below depicts a projectile motion diagram of a young person kicking a soccer ball.

9e3e2eafa36aebeff3bd348ccfddf01346266851.jpg
The motion laws derived from Newtonian mechanics enable us to predict a macroscopic object's position provided we know its initial conditions.  The above diagram shows a soccer player kicking a ball.   As the ball is moving under gravity's influence, it describes a parabolic arc from the kicking location to its landing point.  Although Newton's laws yield accurate results at low velocities and in weak gravitational fields,* they are far less accurate at high speeds or in regions of strong gravity.

 From a Newtonian standpoint, we can know the location and speed of that ball at any given moment provided we have information related to the initial conditions, such as the applied force, the angle of the kick and the planet's surface gravity.    We can then perform a series of mathematical operations to determine the object's speed and position at any given time.   While these calculations become somewhat dodgy when one includes details such as air resistance, the principle remains the same:    a ball moves through space in a given amount of time.  The ball's motion exerts no influence over the progression of time.

Classical mechanics, those based on Newtonian laws, withstood scrutiny quite well for the two centuries following Newton's 1687 publication of "Philosophiae Naturalis Principia Mathematica" (Mathematical Principles of Natural Philosophy).      Then, in 1881, Albert Michelson performed an experiment to detect the aether, the substance believed to have pervaded the Universe and through which light was believed to propagate.    Scientists based the notion of the ether on the behaviour of Earth-bound waves, such as those traveling through air and water.    For instance, sound waves require a medium through which to move.     Light, being wave-like, was also thought to have required its own medium.        Physicists reasoned that Earth would produce an "aether wind" as it moved through space, akin to the disturbances a ship induces in water.  The aim was to compare light speed as measured along the direction of Earth's motion to that in a direction perpendicular to it.    Michelson found no difference at all when he first conducted the experiment and again in 1887 when he repeated it with the assistance of Edward Morley.       Aether was found not to exist.    Light waves move through a vacuum.

This famous Michelson-Morley experiment, as it is now called, was one of the principal findings that led a patent clerk named Albert Einstein to formulate his "Special Theory of Relativity," in 1905.     The theory's fundamental postulate states that:

                The speed of light is the same in all inertial reference frames.

                [Speed of light =
299,792,458 metres per second.]

The statement, itself, seems simple enough.     However, its ramifications are incredible, almost preposterous.     Not only did Special Relativity constitute a tectonic shift of the Newtonian paradigm, it forever after wed space and time to form a hyperdimensional continuum called "Space-time."

The first aspect of relativity we'll discuss is the most startling one, that of time dilation. A moving vessel's velocity can literally dilate time.          To understand the correlation between this postulate and time, we'll conduct a thought experiment.       We're going to place you in a train car.     Glass covers both sides of the car. A mirror is attached to the floor and another mirror is directly above it on the ceiling.     A light source shoots a beam directly up from the  floor toward the ceiling mirror.  The reflected light then moves toward the floor mirror.       A friend, named Bob, stands next to the train tracks and watches you as your train moves past him.   Refer to the diagram below.

main-qimg-68a69f65d36babb6b2d26fc8a91f23c0.webp

As the train moves, the light beam moves up and down between the mirrors.      From your perspective, the beam consists of two straight vertical lines connecting the mirrors. However, from Bob's perspective, the light beam forms a triangle, the base of which is parallel to the train tracks.     Because this scenario is a thought experiment, we can imagine that Bob can actually see the entire triangular path as the train travels.       We know the distance of the two vertical beams you see is less than the distance along the triangle that Bob observes.       We now remember that:

                              12_062_a_00_005.png

Einstein's postulate states that light speed is constant in all inertial reference frames.   So, Bob measures the same speed of light as you would measure.        We have already established that the light beam distance is greater for Bob than for you.    Since the rate is constant, but the distances differ, time, itself, must change, itself.    Your time frame is not the same as Bob's.     In fact, the faster you move, the greater the time dilation becomes.        Practically, this time dilation effect is very slight for velocities below half the speed of light.       However, once the speeds exceed this threshold, the time dilation effects become quite significant:

-If you're moving at 50% light speed, a stationary observer will experience 1 day, three hours and 36 minutes for every single day you experience.
-If you're traveling at 90% light speed,  a stationary observer such as Bob will experience two and one quarter days for every single day you experience.
-Accelerate up to 99.9999% light speed and a stationary observer will experience about TWO YEARS for every since you experience.
-If -and, Kirk, this seems to be an impossible if- you could travel at light speed, time aboard your vessel will stop entirely.      So, for instance, an entire century could elapse for a stationary observer in what to you would literally be an instant!       One would experience immense difficulties when trying to accelerate to this speed, as we shall learn tomorrow.

At this point, we must address a very popular misconception:  one cannot go backward in time by moving faster than light speed simple because:

                     Nothing can exceed the speed of light in a vacuum!

Light speed is the ultimate speed limit.     Nothing can move faster than light propagating through a vacuum according to Special Relativity.      Scientists have found no evidence to contradict this tenet, either.**

Tomorrow, we'll continue this discussion about Special Relativity.  Its effect on time, space, matter and, of course, energy.

*Yes, Earth's gravitational field is quite weak compared to the fields around stars and negligibly weak when compared to those surrounding neutron stars and black holes.

**Light speed is lower when it passes through other media, such as water.   Some objects such as electrons can exceed this speed.  When they do they produce a strange bluish glow called "Cherenkov  Radiation."