Just to take the 9 items that the article suggests schools should be doing:

Increase ventilation in classrooms and upgrade AC filters.
Already doing - was on call with an HVAC engineer today

Purchase portable air purifiers for poorly ventilated rooms.
Already done.

Install plexiglass shields at reception desks and cafeterias.
Most already done, some more planned.

Add buses to limit the number of kids in each bus.
Even safer - ask parents to transport their kids where possible this year and ensure social distance for those remaining on buses - we're doing this.

Purchase fogging machines to disinfect buses.
Don't think this is evidence based. Not doing it. Although there will be extra cleaning on buses (and buildings!).

Hire additional nurses, cleaning staff, and other aides.
Both additional nursing support and cleaning staff already authorized at board meeting two weeks ago.

Provide and require masks and hand sanitizer, and require frequent hand-washing.
All already ordered, much already arrived. Masks and increased hand washing required. Discussions already held on how to train with students and if need be enforce.

Test for the virus, trace contacts, and ensure sick kids stay home.
We'd love to test and are having conversations how, but state of Maine capacity is not really at that point yet. Please contact your governor and state representatives. We are looking at multiple plans to ensure sick kids (and staff) stay home and that ones that become symptomatic at school are immediately isolated.

Provide remote learning for high-risk students, and staff that effort so teachers are not forced to manage both remote and in-class learning.
Any parent/family that wishes including obviously high risk can opt into remote learning (please fill out your surveys by Monday). They will have dedicated staff separate from those teaching in the classrooms.

This doesn't begin to touch our full list of things we're doing. And of course the biggest thing is only having ~50% of the kids in the building at one point in time to ensure social distancing.

I know this is a time of high anxiety. But please do rest assured that your schools are leaving no stone unturned to keep everybody safe. We're not bowing to politics, ignoring science, nor being lazy. People have worked long hours this summer to be prepared as best as humanly possible.

Please feel free to contact me or the superintendent with further questions.

Sincerely,
Brian McGill
RSU 26 School Board Chair