[image: Deucalion-and-Pyrrha.jpg]
*Deucalion and Pyrrha:* Stone Throwers
Zeus was known to have looked askance at mortals from time to time. In his
uncharitable estimation, the Earthbound peons were exasperatingly
frivolous little things.   They fought incessantly over trifles; quarreled
with their relations; and lusted madly after those who were best left
alone. Moreover, they were quick to anger, relished acts of revenge and
were by nature incorrigibly wicked.   In summary, mortals were appallingly
god-like except they didn't live forever.  One day, Zeus felt in a
particularly sour mood toward humans and decided to descend onto Earth in
the guise of a pheasant.   He wanted to observe mortal behavior more
closely and he knew full well that if he manifested himself in his usual
divine form complete with luxuriant beard, rocky pectorals and resplendent
regalia, people wouldn't behave naturally around him.   While in
pheasant form, Zeus happened upon a gathering of Pelasgians, the
forerunners to the Hellenes, known more popularly as "Greeks."    Being in
their company didn't improve his mood very much.     He soon found himself
in the home of Lycaon, an Arcadian king who sired three daughters and fifty
sons on his wife Cyllene, a naiad nymph. During the afternoon of Zeus'
visit, forty-nine of the sons and their wives had congregated outside the
king's palace and were exhibiting the most licentious behavior Zeus ever
beheld (outside of Olympus, of course.)     The disgust that this
wantonness engendered was nothing compared to his reaction when Lycaon
approached him and offered him pieces of the son who wasn't in attendance.
It is thought that Lycaon somehow realized the pheasant was a disguised god
and tried to feed him pieces of his son to test his omniscience.   In
another version, he had no idea what to feed lost pheasants and opted to
present it with human flesh.   Whatever his reasoning, Lycaon's decision to
kill and dismember his son was costly.    Zeus transformed him into a wolf
(hence, lycanthropy) and resurrected the unfortunate young man.    This
resurrection was a rather strange -and some would insist pointless- act
because at that moment Zeus had resolved to destroy all the mortals.     He
summoned his brother Poseidon and persuaded him to cast a nine-day rain
onto the world while drawing all the rivers and seas together into one
large confluence.   "Wash the mortals from Earth entirely!" Zeus
thundered.  "Let no trace of their filth stain its face!"      Soon after
the torrential rain started, Deucalion, a son of Prometheus, the Titan who
delivered fire to mortals, realized that the unusual rains were a sign of
divine disfavor.   (He inherited his father's wisdom.)   He and his wife
Pyrrha rapidly built a large chest which they then hastily stocked with
provisions.     As soon as their home was submerged by the flood waters,
they locked themselves in the chest and were swept out by the high crests
and deep troughs of the turbulent waters.      After many days the chest
came upon the only spot of land that remained above flood: the summit of
Mount Parnassus.  Zeus watched them as they stepped out of their chest and
stood uneasily on the mountain top.   Their survival did not infuriate
Zeus.  In fact, he was pleased that these two devout Zeus-worshippers had
proven to be so resourceful.      Zeus allowed the flood waters to recede
enough to uncover the mountain and the region around its base.  Deucalion
and Pyrrha saw a world devoid of mortals, except for themselves.   The
homes had been reduced to rubble and the temples, though more durable, were
slime-coated and abandoned.      They visited a nearby temple and devoted
themselves to cleaning it thoroughly and then sanctifying it with a series
of rituals.    They then prayed to the gods to help them repopulate the
world.   They then heard a loud voice in the temple which told them to
"cover your heads and toss the bones of your mother over your shoulder."
 This pronouncement shocked Deucalion for he initially believed he was
required to kill his mother Hesione, an oceanid who most assuredly had
survived the flood and was lurking somewhere within the receding sea.
Pyrrha then realized that the "mother" referred to their mother Earth.
 The bones, she knew, were the stones jutting out of the soil.
Although it required all their remaining strength, Deucalion and Pyrrha
promptly grabbed stones and threw them over their shoulders.  They tossed
as many as they could find and were certain to not look at them after they
landed.    The stones that Deucalion tossed were transformed into men as
soon as they touched the ground.  Pyrrha's stones changed into women.
This next generation of mortals were often called the "iron race," in
reference to both their toughness and the rigidity of the moral code by
which they all had unfailingly abided.    Zeus was pleased with that race
and allowed it to persist even though he suspected that the rigid moral
code that so distinguished the new race would likely become more lax with
subsequent generations.     Heavens, was he ever wrong!

THE SOUTHWORTH PLANETARIUM
207-780-4249   www.usm.maine.edu/planet
<http://www.google.com/url?q=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.usm.maine.edu%2Fplanet&sa=D&sntz=1&usg=AFQjCNHulkHuLP13bOG2PkNrPazsGWFs2A>
70 Falmouth Street   Portland, Maine 04103
43.6667° N                   70.2667° W
Altitude:  10 feet below sea level
Founded January 1970
Julian Date: 2459052.16
2019-2020:  CLXXXI

THE DAILY ASTRONOMER
Tuesday, July 21, 2020
Remote Planetarium 68: Exo-Planets IV - Finding Aliens

As recently as thirty years ago, the existence of planets outside our solar
system still remained hypothetical.   The issue neatly divided the
astronomical community into the optimists who subscribed to Giordano
Bruno's then heretical remark that an "infinite number of worlds"populate
the Universe and the pessimists who suspected that planets were quite
rare.   According to the latter group, planetary formation resulted from
infrequent close passages of stars.  The mutual tidal forces drew out their
gases which then coalesced to form planets.       The former group believed
that planet formation was a natural consequence of star formation.  Planets
arose from the residual gases, dust and other debris that enveloped around
them.  Now, in 2020, we can safely assume that the optimists were correct.
Astronomers have discovered more than 4000 planets -4295 as of this date
since the early 1990s.  Based on these detections, astronomers estimate
that the galaxy might contain more than one trillion planets, forty billion
of which are potentially habitable.  By "potentially habitable," they mean
that the planets are "Earth-like" worlds within their parent stars'
habitable zones.       We should mention that the term "Earth-like" can be
misleading.    According to this definition, an Earth-like planet is small,
rocky and dense.     Each of our solar system's four inner planets
-Mercury, Venus, Earth and Mars- could all be described as "Earth-like."
 Three of these planets -Venus, Earth and Mars- are located within the
Sun's habitable zone. A 'habitable zone'  is one in which conditions could
allow water to remain a liquid on the planet's surface.    This definition
presupposes that water is as essential to other beings as it is to us
humans.     This assumption is one that we believe to be safe...until we
find out it isn't.

The determination that planets abound in the galaxy and that many of them
are potentially habitable bodes well for those Earthlings who hope the
Milky Way teems with life.       Again, however, we find yet another divide
separating the optimists and pessimists.  The optimists assert that the
Universe is so prodigiously creative that life must proliferate through the
cosmos wherever conditions are conducive to its development.   The
pessimists argue that perils to life are as abundant as planets.      After
all, examine our own neighborhood: asteroids have pummelled our planet
through the aeons; harsh cosmic radiation constantly washes over Earth; and
the geological record contains numerous instances of mass extinctions.
 Life might begin in many places, but the probability of life progressing
through the evolutionary process to an advanced state is highly
improbable.    "We've been lucky," the pessimist would insist.

Well, as was true with the planet issue, the matter of other life won't be
resolved until we detect evidence of life.      We should point out that we
will NEVER be able to prove  that alien life doesn't exist.   Even if
thousands of years pass without a single detection, alien races could still
exist and in abundance.    They just might be undetectable or too far away
for us to ever find them.   (How could we possibly find a fern covered
planet populated by spores and lemurs tucked away in the Andromeda
Galaxy?)

How can astronomers try to detect life on other planets since even the
closest exo-planet, Proxima Centauri b, is 4.2 light years away?    We know
technological limitations currently preclude interstellar travel.   Our
most distant robotic probe, Voyager 1, is only 20.6 light hours from the
Sun and it was launched 43 years ago!    The farthest any human has ever
gone from Earth is 248,655 miles,  or 1.33 light seconds.*      Our race
hasn't exactly reached the Star Trek phase of our technological development
yet.         For this reason astronomers must do what astronomers have
always done:   make their discoveries through the analysis of radiation.

*RADIO SIGNALS?*

[image: _110916333_81a4f6cc-0918-4c77-80d9-9a118cbd4fab.jpg]

Searching for radio signals has been the aim of the SETI (Search for Extra
Terrestrial Intelligence) since its founding in 1984.     The theory is
that an alien race could, like humans, have developed radio communication
technology. Many of our radio signals propagate through outer space at
light speed and so could be detectable by beings on worlds within the
signals "sphere of propagation."    For instance, radio waves from a 1970
broadcast are still moving away from Earth along a sphere extending fifty
light years from Earth.       One hundred and thirty-three stars exist
within this fifty-light year radius.   It is conceivable that
extraterrestrial astronomers might be able to detect these waves.   Due to
the high attenuation, they couldn't actually listen to the program.
Instead, they could discern "strange" waves exhibiting signs of
manipulation, unless the indistinct radio energy that pervades the cosmos.

SETI's aim is to detect such radio signals from other parts of the galaxy,
evidence of the existence of an alien race.      The limitation of this
method is that it requires those races to have advanced sufficiently so as
to have been able to develop radio technology.        Life first appeared
on Earth about 3.7 billion years ago.    Different forms of radio
technology first developed in the late 19th century.    The span of time
between life's inception and the period when we were first able to
"announce" ourselves to the Universe well exceeds three and a half billion
years!    If aliens were trying to detect signals from our solar system a
couple of thousand years ago when Rome was at its apex, they wouldn't have
found anything at all.

*CHEMICAL TRACES?*

[image: new_calibration.jpg]
Another possible method of extraterrestrial life detection involves
detecting chemical "life signatures" from the atmospheres of Earth-like
planets within their parent stars' habitable zones.    Star light emitted
by the parent star passes through the exo-planet atmosphere.    The gases
within the atmosphere absorb some of that light before it continues through
outer space.     Gases absorb light at various frequencies.   Each type of
molecule absorbs light at a specific number of wavelengths.    By analyzing
the spectrum of this light, astronomers can identify the chemicals present
within the atmosphere.

[image:
Simulated-spectra-of-small-exoplanet-atmospheres-Reflected-light-spectra-are-presented.png]

The graphic above shows simulated chemical signatures of various types of
exo-planets.    [Note: Archean Earth refers to Earth during the "Archean
Eon" between 2.5 - 4 billion years ago.]     Astronomers seeking evidence
of life on other worlds are looking for certain chemicals that might be
indicative of metabolic activity on the planet's surface.    These include:

   - water vapor
   - methane
   - carbon dioxide
   - molecular oxygen

We know that such gases are necessary for life to persist on Earth.
 We assume -perhaps incorrectly- that life on other worlds would leave such
traces within the atmospheres of their home planets.

The search for extraterrestrial life continues.   That astronomers haven't
found anything yet shouldn't concern alien lovers.     The number of star
systems to be searched is vast.  However, by knowing which star systems
harbor Earth-like worlds within the habitable zones at least narrows the
search slightly.      We do know that the age-old question "Are we alone?"
could one day be answered in the negative.    By the nature of science, it
will never be answered in the positive.

* Jim Lovell, Fred Haise and John Swigert attained this distance when their
ill-fated Apollo 13 mission brought them all to the far side of the moon.

*SKYWATCHING TIP FOR THE DAY:*  Don't forget to look for Saturn!
Saturn reached opposition yesterday.  Tonight, Saturn rises at 8:07 p.m.
and will remain visible for the rest of the night. Find it in the eastern
evening and western morning sky.      At magnitude 0.1, Saturn is slightly
brighter than Vega.    Unfortunately, its magnificent ring system is not
resolvable with the unaided eye.    All the same, Saturn is well worth a
look this week!