Julian Date: 2459039.16
2019-2020:  CLXXIII

THE DAILY ASTRONOMER
Wednesday, July 8, 2020
Remote Planetarium 61: A Backyard Review

Well, first, our apologies to those who read these Remote Planetarium
lessons only for the mythology.    Today, we've decided to remain in the
backyard where we shall admire the sky and review some of what we've
already learned during the last twelve weeks.   As we're firmly planted on
Terra Firma, we'll have no access to the mythological realm  hanging above
us in the wide black yonder.  We'll return to the deep sky tomorrow and
will likely encounter something mythological.

Welcome, by the way.   You are standing on a vast tract of land attached to
an 18th century farmhouse now silhouetted against the fading twilight.
 Our purpose today is to merely examine the sky and discuss what we now
know about it.    Consider this day something of a respite from the travels
that have only just begun.    We wanted to return just to help us
understand how our perspective on the night sky has changed by virtue of
learning astronomy.

[image: Screen-Shot-2018-06-04-at-1.55.18-PM-e1528134961914.png]
Let's regard the Summer Triangle.   One can see it high in the eastern sky
this time of year.  The stars Deneb, Vega and Altair mark the triangle's
three corners.   As these three stars are each part of a different
constellation, the Summer Triangle isn't a constellation, itself, but forms
a star pattern.  Deneb is part of Cygnus the Swan, Vega marks the northern
tip of Lyra the Harp and Altair represents the eye of Aquila the Eagle.

Without knowing much astronomy, one can still appreciate the beauty of
these remote spheres.    However, with the trained eye, one can discern
much more about them.    For instance, Vega's declination is almost +39
degrees, meaning that it is located almost 39 degrees north of the
celestial equator.     By knowing only this value, we can determine:

   - Where Vega passes directly overhead (at the zenith):  *39 degrees N*
   - Vega's region of visibility:   *Everywhere north of 51 degrees S*
   - Where Vega is circumpolar (always  visible):  *Everywhere north of 51
   degrees N*

What else can we determine about Vega?

   - As it is north of the celestial equator, Vega will be above our
   horizon for more than twelve hours each day.   In fact, Vega remains above
   the horizon for about 18 hours each day.   As this star is positioned so
   far north, it is a "Vegan star," meaning that it is visible for at least
   part of the night every night of the year even though it is not
   circumpolar.   Actually, Vegan stars are named for the star Vega.
   For instance, one can see Vega low along the northern horizon around early
   evening in February.

   - Vega rises about four minutes earlier each day due to Earth's
   revolutionary motion around the Sun.    Vega will therefore rise about half
   an hour earlier each week; two hours earlier each month.

Next, we know that Vega's parallax angle is 0.130" (arc-seconds).

How can we determine its distance?   We divide one by 0.130  = 7.69 parsecs.
One parsec equals 3.23 light years, so Vega's distance is approximately 25
light years.

Its apparent magnitude is 0.26,  making it the fifth brightest star in the
sky.
Knowing it distance and apparent magnitude, we can use the* distance
modulus equation *to determine its absolute magnitude.  We remember that
absolute magnitude equals the star's apparent magnitude were it at a
distance of 10 parsecs.        Vega's absolute magnitude equals 0.582.
 Recall that the Sun's absolute magnitude equals 4.83.

With an absolute magnitude of 0.582, Vega is 40 times more luminous than
the Sun.

   1. Next, by scrutinizing Vega's spectrum (the light emission), we can
   determine that Vega is an A0 V star, toward the hotter end of the star
   sequence.   We remember that sequence as    O B A F G K M, with O's being
   the hottest stars; M's the "coolest."   Luminosity class V means it is a
   dwarf star and belongs along the main sequence.     At this moment we
   should tack Vega on the H-R Diagram:

[image: toX0hNyGBcjCaTEzxL.0Fg_b.png]
The H-R Diagram will yield even more information about this bright Summer
Triangle star.      By Vega's placement on the H-R Diagram, we see that its
radius is greater than the Sun.   (2.4 times greater.) Also,  it is more
massive than the Sun (2.1 times greater) and will therefore spend less time
on the main sequence (less than one billion years.)

So, with just a little information:

   - apparent magnitude
   - parallax angle
   - spectral type
   - declination

we were able to determine

   - visibility region; zenith declination; circumpolar region
   - distance
   - absolute magnitude
   - luminosity
   - radius
   - mass
   - lifetime on the main sequence

We leave it as an exercise for you to glean as much information as you can
about *Altair *based on the following information:

   - apparent magnitude:  0.76
   - parallax angle:  0.194"
   - spectral type:  A7 V
   - declination:   almost +9

We will soon be moving on from the stars. Before we did, however, we
thought it would be instructive to put all these facets together to show
how astronomy enables us to ascertain so much about a star that is so
distant.

https://lists.maine.edu/cgi-bin/wa?SUBED1=DAILY-ASTRONOMER&A=
<https://lists.maine.edu/cgi-bin/wa?SUBED1=DAILY-ASTRONOMER&A=1>