Julian Date: 2459003.16
2019-2020:  CLX

THE DAILY ASTRONOMER
Wednesday, June 3, 2020
Remote Planetarium 47:  Stellar Evolution Part I: Low Mass Stars

By the time you were born into the Universe, the Sun had already been part of it for five billion years.    Stellar astronomers assure us that it will continue to live in its current state for another five billion.     All the while it will be fusing hydrogen into helium and generating energy in the process.      After the Sun exhausts its core hydrogen reserves, it must still pass through many stages  before it finally perishes as a white dwarf star.   Today we shall follow the Sun's evolutionary history and so will understand how low mass stars such as the Sun evolve over time.

We'll provide the H-R Diagram "Sun track" so we can follow our parent star's progression from present day to its death.    [We have already covered the time period of the Sun's birth to its presently active stage.]

download.png

The Sun is currently stable.     The internal energy pressure pushing outward is balanced by the gravitational contraction.  We refer to this precise balance as "hydrostatic equilibrium."       However, the solar interior shall prove to be quite dynamic over long time periods.     Every second, 647 million tons of hydrogen is converted into helium.    As more hydrogen is fused," more helium collects and the core shrinks.    The shrinking core allows the Sun's outer layers to migrate closer to the core.  Consequently, the outer layer material draws closer to the core and the resultant gravitational contraction intensifies.  The pressures and temperatures increase, causing an increase in the core fusion reactions.   This accelerated fusion will increase the Sun's luminosity by one percent every 100 million years.     While the Sun remains on the main sequence, it will slowly migrate upward and slightly toward the left as a result of this increased temperature and luminosity.

In 1.1 billion years, the Sun will be 10% brighter than it is today.    Earth and the other planets will become significantly hotter as a consequence.     This increased heat will render Earth uninhabitable around this time.    Long before the Sun exhausts its hydrogen reserves, Earth will have become furiously hot and devoid of life.

In approximately five billion years, the Sun will have grown more than 58% more luminous than it is today.  Also, it will have depleted its core hydrogen, leaving an ultra hot helium "ash."      Without any energy pressure, the core will shrink rapidly and its temperature will increase.       Meanwhile an outer hydrogen burning layer will form around the core.    Within this layer hydrogen will continue to fuse into helium.  The Sun's outer layers will expand and cool.  The Sun will then become a red giant.  Although its effective temperature will be lower than it is presently, its luminosity will increase due to its expanded size. On the H-R Diagram the Sun moves upward and to the right: cooler and much more luminous.     The Red Giant Sun will consume Mercury, Venus and perhaps even Earth.  Even if Earth remains outside the Sun, its oceans will have boiled away and its land masses will be nothing more than molten soup.

hshellburningsml.jpg

Life becomes quite interesting for the Sun after it enters this Red Giant phase.      As the helium core contracts and also receives heat energy from the hydrogen burning shell, the Sun will experience a helium flash!  Literally within minutes, slightly less than ten percent of the core will be converted into carbon.  The helium burning phase will then begin.  The Sun will shrink back to a size equal to 10 times its present volume and 50 times its current luminosity.  Over the following 100 million years the Sun will convert helium into carbon in its core.     Once the Sun exhausts its helium reserve, the core will be a mixture of carbon and oxygen.   The Sun is not massive enough to produce the pressures and temperatures required to ignite carbon fusion reactions.      A helium burning shell will form around it. A helium layer will then separate this shell from the hydrogen burning shell on the outside.     The Sun will expand again, this time encompassing Earth and growing even more luminous than it had been during its previous red giant expansion.    At this time the Sun will be passing through the Asymptotic Giant Branch phase.   Remarkably, the Sun will become 5,000 times more luminous than it is now!

unnamed.jpg

Over the course of the next 20 million years, the Sun will become unstable and will expel much of its material every 100,000 years through a series of violet pulses.     After the conclusion of this phase, the Sun will be half as massive as it is today.    The outer solar layers will then disperse, at first slowly and then rapidly to form a planetary nebula.          The exposed core, more than 30,000 K at its surface will then slowly cool over trillions of years.    This stellar remnant is known as a white dwarf.   A white dwarf will not collapse in on itself because of electron degeneracy.   The electrons within the dwarf will repel each other, preventing any further contraction.

1200px-M57_The_Ring_Nebula.jpg

The Ring Nebula in Lyra is a well known example of a planetary nebula.  We have no idea how the planetary nebula that will form around the Sun will appear.   We do know that the nebula will likely disperse into invisibility within 10,000 years after its formation.

The Sun that is blazing hot outside our windows right now is destined to become a bloated red giant that will cover most of our sky.   (Nobody will be around to observe this expansion.)  Eventually, the Sun will become an ultra hot white dwarf: a stellar remnant that will slowly cool over trillions of years.  So, our Sun will certainly remain in the cosmos for quite a long time.    However, it won't always be the same as it is now.

Tomorrow, we discover what happens to stars that are far more massive than the Sun.