Julian Date: 2458988.16
2019-2020:  CXLIX

THE DAILY ASTRONOMER
Monday, May 18, 2020
Remote Planetarium 36:  Everything!

Humans have come a long way in the last century.   Slightly more than a century ago  (April 26, 1920), two preeminent astronomers, Harlow Shapley and Heber Curtis, participated in the now famous debate pertaining to the nature of certain "nebulae."  Shapley argued that these nebulae were contained within our Milky Way Galaxy which he assumed encompassed the entire Universe.   Curtis asserted that they were instead individual galaxies well beyond the Milky Way.   Later that decade Edwin Hubble and Vesto Slipher settled the matter by determining that the Andromeda "nebula" was located well outside our home galaxy's well established boundaries. Now we know of literally hundreds of billions of galaxies scattered over a universe so vast in scale as to stagger the imagination.     Today, as we finally prepare to depart the solar system, we will embark on a whirlwind tour of the cosmos to determine our place within it.

unnamed-32.jpg
Our home on the "pale blue dot."
On February 14, 1990, while the Voyager 1 spacecraft was racing beyond Neptune, it turned around to capture an image of the home world it had abandoned  almost thirteen years before.   From the Voyager perspective, Earth was almost lost from view: a dim, nearly indiscernible mote against the star adorned firmament.  The rotating stage on which all natural processes and human dramas play out.    We see it above, slightly enhanced for better viewing.   We live on  a planet that is revolving around a dwarf star at speeds far exceeding that of the fastest bullet.          Ours is the third world away from the Sun: the largest of the four inner terrestrial planets and the fifth largest planet over all.

Except for the many objects in orbit around it, the Sun is truly alone in space.   As the closest star system, Alpha Centauri, is 4.2 light years away, the Sun is the only star within a sphere measuring 310 cubic light years in volume.     Or, by scale, if the Sun were a softball in Portland, Maine, the Alpha Centauri system would be two softballs and an apple in Florida.      Alpha Centauri consists of three stars, two sun-like stars and a red dwarf named "Proxima Centauri."

  • Light year:  the distance that a light beam moving through a vacuum covers in one year, equal to about 5.8 trillion miles
  • Parsec:  equal to 3.26 light years

Our nearest neighbors
main-qimg-0f166823ee20dc0b57e272d54a4efd05.png
From this perspective, Alpha Centauri seems like an arm's length away from the Sun.     Here we see the closest stars to our solar system.  We recognize some of the star names such as Sirius (Canis Major) and Procyon (Canis Minor).   Others aren't as well known such as Ross 128, Lalande 21185 and Wolf 359.    As is true with seventeen of the twenty closest stars to the Sun, these three aren't visible to the unaided eye and so are named for the catalogs in which they first appeared.  (We'll be returning to these catalogs in another class.)         Even from this perspective we can start to notice the three dimensional nature of our  cosmos.  The stars are not all aligned along the same disc, but appear "above" or "below" the Sun's plane.           As we proceed we'll learn that the concepts of "up" and "down" have little meaning in outer space.

unnamed.gif
If we expand our view to include all stars within 10 parsecs of the Sun, we find stars in all directions.   The Sun is now almost lost to sight.    It is positioned at the center of this image.

The Galaxy
milkywaymap.jpg
We now expand our view by many factors to observe the entire Milky Way Galaxy.   Our Sun, located on the Orion Spur with the Orion Cygnus Arm, is labeled.     The Sun is approximately 23,000 light years from the nucleus, concealed within the bar at the galactic center.     To give a perspective on this size contrast, if we could construct a scale model map of the galaxy as large as the North American continent, our solar system would fit neatly inside a coffee cup.   Or, imagine that you drew ten thousand small black dots on a sheet of paper measuring 8.5" by 14."  Let those dots represent all the stars we can see on Earth without a telescope.     In order to draw enough dots to represent all the stars in the Milky Way Galaxy, you would need a sheet of paper measuring 8.5" by 1500 miles: a column of dots nearly connecting Portland Maine and Miami, Florida.     According to recent estimates our one galaxy contains more than 400 billion stars.    A billion, incidentally, is an enormous number that transcends intuition.  If we could go back a billion minutes in time, we'd find ourselves in the year AD 118.   Four hundred billion minutes ago was around 760,800 BCE.
The Sun is but one of those stars completely lost within the galactic star streams

 The nearest galactic neighbors:
https___blogs-images.forbes.com_startswithabang_files_2018_03_local-group.jpg
The next step up brings us to the Local Group of Galaxies.     Astronomers believe this group consists of 54 galaxies distributed over a region about 10 million light years in diameter.     The three largest galaxies within this group are the Andromeda Galaxy, the Milky Way and the Triangulum Galaxy.   At a distance of 2.2 million light years, the Andromeda Galaxy is the closest major galaxy to us.

THE LOCAL SUPERCLUSTER
Local_supercluster-ly.jpg
Yes, we are well outside the range of intuition now.     Increasing our perspective even further we can see that the local group is part of a local supercluster, called the Virgo Supercluster, after the Virgo Group of Galaxies.   Approximately 100,000 galaxies are contained within this cluster that extends over 110 million light years.   From this perspective even our grand Milky Way Galaxy is lost to view.        Astronomers now estimate that this Virgo Super Cluster is just one of 10 million super clusters within the observable Universe!

PISCES-CETUS SUPERCLUSTER COMPLEX
Superclusters_atlasoftheuniverse.gif
The Virgo Supercluster contains only about 0.1 percent of all the matter contained within the Pisces-Cetus Supercluster Complex, named for the
Pisces-Cetus cluster, the richest SC within this complex.     One of the largest defined structures within the observable Universe, this complex measures about one billion light years in diameter and is nearly 160 million light years in width.  At this level, the entire local group of 54 galaxies vanishes from view.

OBSERVABLE UNIVERSE:

399px-2MASS_LSS_chart-NEW_Nasa.jpg
Would you believe that this "final" stage might just be the beginning?   The "observable Universe" extends 46.5 billion light years in all directions and contains every visible object.  On this scale, galactic superclusters are like sand grains scattered across our viewfield.  The light emitted from any object beyond this boundary has not yet had time to reach us and so is "outside" of our perspective.   Some cosmologists believe that the observable Universe is a small part of the entire Universe, the extent of which is not currently knowable.     Within this universe one would find more than 400 billion galaxies altogether, a number exceeding the number of stars within the Milky Way.

parallel-universe1.jpg
And, could much more than this Universe even exist?   The concept of parallel universes, those unconnected to our own, was once considered the sole domain of science fiction.  Now, the physics community is seriously considering the existence of myriad other Universes as distinct from our own.     They could number in the trillions and like bubbles in some hyperspatial reality that we might well never understand.

Yes, one could certainly say that humanity has come a long way in the last century.