[image: atlas_29.jpg]
*Atlas:   The Sky Holder*
Long before the Trojan War, another ten year long conflict nearly
devastated Heaven and Earth. This fierce war was the Titanomachy, the
battle pitting the Titans, an older generation of gods, against the younger
Olympians. This war began after Zeus, the greatest of the gods, freed his
siblings from the stomach of Cronos, the Titan who sired them.    Fearing
that his position would be usurped by his children as he had overthrown his
father Uranus, Cronos had tried to swallow every one of his offspring as
soon as Rhea gave birth to them.  He consumed them all except Zeus, whom
Rhea concealed after delivery. She presented Cronos with rocks enshrouded
in swaddling clothes in Zeus' stead.    Zeus grew to maturity in three days
under the care of Amalthea, the goat maiden, who nourished him on nectar
and ambrosia.    Once grown, Zeus and his mother Rhea conspired to liberate
the others.   They tricked Cronos into ingesting an emetic and he
regurgitated the other Olympians.  There followed a decade-long fight for
dominion over the Universe.    The Olympians ultimately prevailed and
showed no mercy to the vanquished Titans.    Most were consigned to
Tartarus, the punitive region of the Underworld where the most wicked souls
suffered inelcutable torments.   Atlas, a titan who fought valiantly
against the gods, was spared this fate.  Instead, Zeus condemned him to an
eternity at Gaia's western edge where he was forced to hoist up the sky.
 Contrary to popular belief, Atlas did not hold the world on his shoulders.
Instead, the weight of the celestial spheres was his true burden.  Although
Atlas was never a prominent mythological figure, he did play an important
role in Hercules' eleventh labor.  During this labor, King Eurystheus required
Hercules to bring him three of Hera's golden apples that were protected in
the Garden of the Hesperides.  While Hercules didn't know the garden's
location, he did know that Atlas had fathered the Hesperides and would know
how to find them.   He approached Atlas and asked for his assistance. Atlas
agreed to fetch the apples, himself, if Hercules would consent to hold up
the heavens in his absence.    Hercules happily shouldered the heavens
while Atlas ran swiftly to his daughter's garden.    Atlas returned days
later and showed Hercules the three golden apples.   "Excellent!" Hercules
exclaimed. "Here, you may now hold up the heavens again."   Atlas declined.
"No, my friend, I shall not.   Having been freed from my burden, I am loath
to shoulder it again.    I will deliver these apples to your king and you
may spend eternity hoisting the spheres aloft."    Instead of appearing
angry, Hercules seemed glad. He smiled broadly at Atlas.  "You don't know
what a relief it is to me to take the heavens from you.   By doing so, I
shall no longer be required to perform these horrible labors.   Each one
has been far more dangerous and onerous than the one before it.    After
this labor, only one other remained: one that I knew would have destroyed
me.   By making me remain here, you have gifted me with immortality.   Take
the apples with my gratitude.    But first, one small favour.  The weight
has caused a pain in my shoulder.   Please take the heavens for just a
moment so I can place some padding on it."   After Atlas hoisted the
heavens back on his shoulder, Hercules took the apples and fled, much to
Atlas' chagrin.
In another story, this one told by Ovid, Perseus alleviated Atlas' burden
by showing him Medusa's head. Atlas was then petrified and became the Atlas
mountain.    Most mythographers now discount that story as Perseus was
Hercules' great grandfather and had died long before the twelve famous
labors.

THE SOUTHWORTH PLANETARIUM
207-780-4249   www.usm.maine.edu/planet
<http://www.google.com/url?q=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.usm.maine.edu%2Fplanet&sa=D&sntz=1&usg=AFQjCNHulkHuLP13bOG2PkNrPazsGWFs2A>
70 Falmouth Street   Portland, Maine 04103
43.6667° N                   70.2667° W
Altitude:  10 feet below sea level
Founded January 1970
Julian Date: 245960.16
2019-2020:  CXXX

THE DAILY ASTRONOMER
Tuesday, April 21, 2020
Remote Planetarium 17: The Constellations

[image: Orion_constellation_Hevelius.jpg]

Why have we retained the constellations?   After all, they are the merest
contrivances:  configurations of stars that generally lack any true
association.  Modern day astronomers would no more acknowledge the
constellations as legitimate than they would consult a horoscope.   Why do
they remain?  Simple.  Because we want them to remain.  Humans, being
prodigious creators, naturally want beautiful artistic works to adorn the
world and the sky above it.     Does anybody think that since we all have
desk calendars, we should dismantle Stonehenge and pave over Salisbury
Plain?   Should we take a paint roller to the Sistine Chapel ceiling?   Who
wants a gray world devoid of creative brilliancy?
We want the constellation and they're here, or, at least, up there!

Whenever people discuss the origin of the constellations, they generally
claim that the stars have always exercised a fascination over humans owing
to their remoteness. That could very well be.  Unfortunately, all of our
assumptions about our remote ancestors are a meager mix of inference and
speculation.

We do know that the night sky contains *88 distinct constellations*: those
classified by the International Astronomical Union.      They are
Andromeda, Antlia, Apus, Aquarius, Aquila, Ara, Aries, Auriga, Bootes,
Caelum, Camelopardalis, Cancer, Canes Venatici, Canis Major, Canis Minor,
Capricornus, Carina, Cassiopeia, Centaurus, Cepheus, Cetus, Chamaeleon,
Circinus, Columba, Coma Berenices, Corona Austrina, Corona Borealis,
Corvus, Crater, Crux, Cygnus, Delphinus, Dorado, Draco, Equuleus, Eridanus,
Fornax, Gemini, Grus, Hercules, Horologium, Hydra, Hydrus, Indus, Lacerta,
Leo, Leo Minor, Lepus, Libra, Lupus, Lynx, Lyra, Mensa Microscopium,
Monoceros, Musca, Norma, Octans, Ophiuchus, Orion, Pavo, Pegasus, Perseus,
Phoenix, Pictor, Pisces, Piscis Austrinus, Puppis, Pyxis, Reticulum,
Sagitta, Sagittarius, Scorpius, Sculptor, Scutum, Serpens, Sextans, Taurus,
Telescopium, Triangulum, Triangulum Australe, Tucana, Ursa Major, Ursa
Minor, Vela, Virgo, Volans and Vulpecula.

In 1928, the IAU developed a formal listing of these constellations
including the boundaries surrounding all of them.   The image below shows
the entire Orion the Hunter region colored white.  Each of the 88 regions
along the celestial sphere are defined by an associated constellation.

[image: 800px-Orion_IAU.svg.png]

The IAU boundaries were set by  Belgian astronomer Eugene Joseph Delporte
(1882-1955).    His work augmented that of American astronomer Henry Norris
Russell (1877-1957), of HR Diagram fame (we'll get to that topic later.)
Although Russell's list was comprehensive, it lacked the demarcations the
IAU needed to establish their tyrannical dominion over the sky,

More than half of these eighty eight constellations were based on those
compiled by Claudius Ptolemy  (AD 100 - 170).    He listed these forty
eight in books VII and VIII of his famous work the Almagest

[image: PSM_V78_D326_Ptolemy.png]

While his list was primarily a compilation of constellations derived from
Hellenistic tradition,  they were based on ancient sources: such as
Sumerian and Babylonian folklore.   All the prominent constellations such
as Orion,  Pegasus and Perseus are part of "Ptolemy's 48."  So, too, are
all the constellations comprising the Zodiac:
Pisces, Aries, Taurus, Gemini, Cancer, Leo, Virgo, Libra, Scorpius,
Ophiuchus, Sagittarius, Capricornus and Aquarius.

We can ascribe the remaining constellations to three other people:

   - Petrus Plancius (1552-1622)
   - Johannes Hevelius (1611-1687)
   - Nicholas -Louis de Lacaille (1713-1762)

Plancius gave us many of the southern constellations such as Dorado, Tucana
and Triangulum Australe,  which are the Swordfish, Tucan and Southern
Triangle, respectively.

Hevelius "filled in" many darker regions within the northern sky.   He
developed seven of the IAU's 88 constellations, all of them minor:  Canes
Venatici, Lacerta, Leo Minor, Lynx, Scutum, Sextans and Vulpecula.

[image: vulpecula.png]
*Vulpecula the Fox:* one of the seven official constellations developed by
Johannes Hevelius.

Nicholas-Louis de Lacaille provided the final additions to the current
constellation map.  These were also southern constellations, including
Mensa, Telescopium and Octans, meaning table, telescope (yes, we know you
figured that out) and Octant, an old navigational instrument.    Octans is
the southernmost constellation and contains Sigma Octantis, the southern
hemisphere's equivalent to Polaris.  Sigma Octantis is quite faint
(magnitude 5.4) and about a degree away from the south celestial pole.

[image: lacaillesmall.jpg]
*LaCaille's planisphere* containing the constellations he personally
crafted in the
18th century.

While this article offered only a cursory introduction to constellation
history, we hope it will lend insight into the development of the
constellations that loom above us every night.

https://lists.maine.edu/cgi-bin/wa?SUBED1=DAILY-ASTRONOMER&A=1