Julian Date: 245954.16
2019-2020:  CXXVI

THE DAILY ASTRONOMER
Tuesday, April 14, 2020
Remote Planetarium 12: Anatomy of an Orbit

Before we begin, let's review what we already know about planetary orbits

  • Every planet's orbit is an ellipse with the Sun at one focus
  • All planet orbits, save Pluto, are aligned closely with Earth's orbit.  For this reason we will only see the planets around the ecliptic, the undulating curve that passes through thirteen constellations
  • The closer a planet is to the Sun, the greater its orbital velocity will be.
  • The planet's distance is related to its orbital period
  • A planet's distance from the Sun isn't constant

We also know that we're watching moving planets from a moving platform.  Moreover, the speeds of those planets, and their distances from Earth and the Sun are always changing.  All this motion can make for a great deal of complexity.   However, we will discover that we can still track these planets quite easily just by remembering a few nifty tricks.    Now we should review some terms:

vt2004-if11-fig4.jpg
  • Inferior conjunction:   when an inferior planet moves between the Sun and Earth
  • Opposition: when a planet is on the far side of Earth relative to the Sun
  • Superior conjunction:  when a planet is on the far side of the Sun relative to Earth
Now, for some new terms:
  • Greatest elongation:   the greatest angular distance separating an inferior planet from the Sun in our sky.  When at greatest western elongation, the planet will be visible in the eastern pre-dawn sky.  When at greatest eastern elongation, the planet will be visible in the western evening sky.
  • Quadrature:   the position of a superior planet at right angles from the line connecting Earth and the Sun.

Our aim today is to determine how we can use our knowledge of planetary orbits to predict when we will be able to see planets and where they will be located.

We know:
  • when a planet is in inferior conjunction, it isn't visible, unless it is moving directly in front of the Sun (a topic for another day.)
  • when a planet is at opposition, it will rise around sunset and set around sunrise.
  • when a planet is in superior conjunction, it isn't visible at all.

To understand how all this information can aid us in tracking the planets, let's follow an inferior planet from one inferior conjunction to another to see how its orbital position affects its location from our perspective.

  1. At inferior conjunction, the planet isn't visible.   Yes, you're right, we already said that.
  2. After inferior conjunction, the planet will move into the pre-dawn eastern sky until reaching greatest western elongation.
  3. The planet will appear to move back toward the Sun in our sky as it moves toward superior conjunction when it will no longer be visible again.
  4. After superior conjunction, the planet will then move into the western evening sky until it reaches greatest eastern elongation.   It then appears to move back toward the Sun and then vanishes before reaching inferior conjunction again.
A superior planet's orbit is somewhat simpler because it will never be in inferior conjunction.
  1. A superior planet will move into superior conjunction, meaning that it will be at the far side of the Sun relative to Earth.
  2. Then, the planet will appear in the early morning sky.  Eventually the planet will move from morning sky into the late evening sky.
  3. The planet will then be at opposition, on the far side of Earth relative to the Sun.   It will rise at sunset and set at sunrise
  4. After opposition, the planet will appear to approach the Sun in the evening sky until it vanishes with the Sun at dusk.    It will then pass back through superior conjunction.

That is all very well. However, in order to predict when the planet will move through those various stages, one needs to know how much time each cycle requires.       We'll now proceed to the concepts of sidereal periods and synodic periods.

A sidereal period is the time a planet requires to complete an orbit around the Sun with respect to the distant stars.

A synodic period is the time a planet requires to reappear at the same point relative to Earth.  For instance, the time period separating successive oppositions or inferior conjunctions.

These periods are not the same because Earth is always on the move.    To explain the synodic period, we'll use Jupiter as an example.

synjup.png
At a certain time, Jupiter is at opposition (point A), meaning that it is on the far side of Earth relative to the Sun.     After this opposition, Earth and Jupiter continue moving.  As Earth is much closer to the Sun, it will be revolving around it much faster.  A year later, Earth returns to the same point it occupied when Jupiter was last at opposition.  However, during that year Jupiter also moved along its orbit.  Because Jupiter's year is almost equal to 12 Earth years, Jupiter progressed only through 1/12th of its orbit.   Earth then has to "catch up" to Jupiter in order for it to be as opposition again (point B.)   The amount of time separating these two oppositions is, on average, 399 days.     (This varies somewhat because the distances and therefore the speeds of the planets are not constant.)

Let's look at some of Jupiter's past opposition dates

2005  April  3

2006  May 4

2007 June 5

2008  July 9

2009 August 14

2010  September 21

Notice the pattern?    Even though each date is not separated by exactly 399 days, it is a close approximation.  Expect Jovian opposition to occur about 1 year and 1 month apart with a few extra days here and there.      Would you guess that the following opposition occurred around Halloween 2011?  If so, your guess is correct.  The 2011 Jupiter opposition date was October 29th.

The following chart lists the sidereal and synodic periods of the planets:

PlanetSynodic Period (days)Sidereal Period
Mercury11688 days
Venus584225 days
Earth-1.0 year
Mars7801.9 years
Jupiter39911.9 years
Saturn37829.5 years
Uranus37084.0 years
Neptune368164.8 years
Pluto367248.5 years

This year Saturn is in opposition on July 20.   Based on the chart above, when you would expect Saturn to be at opposition in 2021?
Answer:  August 2
You can plan to see Saturn all night long in early August 2021.
When will you see Saturn all night long in 2022?
Saturn opposition 2022:  August 14

About one year and two weeks separate successive Saturian oppositions.

Let's finally use Venus as an example.  One can currently see Venus in the western evening sky. (And, it is brilliant, of course.)

We know that Venus will next be in inferior conjunction on June 3, 2020.    At what time will it next pass through  inferior conjunction?   Jan 9, 2022
And the time after that?  August 1, 2023
Venus' successive inferior conjunctions will be separated by about 1 year and seven months.

During the quiz on Friday, we'll devote a section to using this information to find the planets in their current positions.

Tomorrow, we turn to physics with Newton's Weighty Laws.

https://lists.maine.edu/cgi-bin/wa?SUBED1=DAILY-ASTRONOMER&A=1