Julian Date: 245953.16
2019-2020:  CXXV

THE DAILY ASTRONOMER
Monday, April 13, 2020
Remote Planetarium 11:   A Tourist's Guide to the Planets

Greetings!
Welcome back.   I know you missed us, but not nearly as much as we missed you.  Today we're going to embark on something of a field trip.   Granted, we'll all be far apart from one another as social distancing is the current custom.  In fact, you'll be at home pretending you're with us.  Our aim is to introduce you to just a few of the many breathtaking vistas within our solar system.  Yes, we mean that literally as we'll have no oxygen to enjoy.
First things first, however.
We're standing in an empty parking lot (the only kind that exists presently) with, of all things, a roll of toilet paper!  Yes, we actually found one.   We also have a softball. One might wonder why would a solar system tour begin with such items?  Simple.  Before we explore the planets, we need to understand their sizes relative to the Sun and to each other.   You see, we planetarium fools often show off solar system models like this one:
solar-system-with-sun-and-planets-on-orbit-vector-13205901.jpg
Bright, cheerful, neatly arranged and, of course, likely stolen.   Thank you, VectorStock.   Such a model does present the planet in their proper order:  Mercury, Venus, Earth, Mars, Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus, Neptune and Pluto.  The problem is that it isn't to scale, not by a long chalk.*   Hence, the toilet paper and softball.  It will help us put the solar system into perspective.
First, put the softball on the ground.   It represents the Sun.  You're welcome to paint it yellow, provided you know it isn't actually yellow.  (We'll explain why next week when we turn our attention Sun ward.)   Next, place one end of the toilet paper next to the softball and then roll it out.       Each sheet represents one million miles. Mercury will be half the size of a paperclip hole located 36 sheets away.   It will be much farther away than one would expect.    We should note that in this model we'll be placing the planets at their average distance.  Recall that planets travel along elliptical orbits and their distances from the Sun change continually.
Venus will be 67 sheets away and will be the size of a paperclip hole.
Earth will be 93 sheets away and also the size of a paperclip hole.
Now, stop for a moment and observe.      The Softball-sized Sun is  surrounded by three minuscule holes at vast distances from it.    Earth is hardly even visible!
We continue:
Mars will be 142 sheets away and will be about 3/4 the size of a paperclip hole
Jupiter is 484 sheets away and the size of a hole at the center of those old 33 1/3 records.
Saturn 887 sheets; Uranus 1,784; Neptune 2,794 and finally Pluto 3,675 sheets.
Granted, we're not expecting you to roll out all the toilet paper even if you could somehow gain possession of so much without legal consequence.
Just know that the Sun represents more than 99% of the solar system.  The planets and their moons are just little motes trapped inside its immense gravity well.

We begin our rapid planet trek, skipping Earth, which is so boring.

MTEiJvP99DScN3vkAsE9LA-320-80.jpg
MERCURY
Be careful if anybody invites you to spend a day on Mercury.    Days on the first world last nearly two Earth months!  Although this planet rotates slowly, as it is the first planet, it revolves rapidly.   With an average speed exceeding 160,000 miles an hour, Mercury completes an orbit in approximately 88 days.     Consequently, a Mercurian would see only two sunrises a year!    Unsurprisingly, Mercury's surface bakes under a Sun that appears 2.5 times larger than the Sun we see on Earth.    Its daytime temperature exceeds 700 degrees F, hotter than a pizza oven.   However, as Mercury lacks an atmosphere apart from whispers of sodium vapor, its night side is frigid with temperatures around -200 degrees F: a nearly 1000 degrees day-night temperature range.        On the bright side, Mercury surface gravity is significantly less than Earth.  A 200 lb Earthling would weigh in at 74 pounds on Mercury.
DOWNSIDES:
  • Absolutely no oxygen to breathe
  • High radiation levels
  • You'd cook in the day time and freeze at night
kaPwBjHiUKax8syodHNPmF-320-80.jpg
VENUS
Let's face it: Venus was a disappointment.  Seen from Earth, the second world is so beguilingly beautiful we associated it with Venus, the Roman counterpart to Aphrodite, goddess of love and beauty.   Moreover, many astronomers assumed its surface would be lush and verdant: a tropical paradise extending from pole to pole.   They based this hopeful assumption on Venus' close proximity to the Sun and its pervasive cloud cover.   It seemed to have the two fundamental ingredients required for any true rain forest.  Fierce heat and abundant rainwater.   While it possesses the first, it lacks the second.   Its thick carbon dioxide atmosphere not only traps heat, but produces clouds that pour forth sulfuric acid rains.   The temperature exceeds 900 degrees F from pole to pole and the surface pressure is 90 times greater than Earth's sea level pressure.   The only known visitors to this world were the Venera spacecraft the Soviet Union launched in the 1980's.   Though these vessels were metallic and shielded, they lasted less than half an hour before Venus destroyed them.

DOWNSIDES:
  • What Hell must be like, but without the Black Sabbath music
  • Crushing pressure
  • Furious heat
  • the rain consists of the same acid used in car batteries
  • Oh, and you would NEVER see the Sun!
One "upside":  Venus's gravity is almost as strong as Earth's so you would be able walk around on Venus just you do here, except, well, you'd be dead before you could take your first step.

Interesting note: Venus's day equals 117 days, more than half the length of its year. It also rotates backward relative to the other planets.   Of course, one can't really tell the difference between night and day, anyway, and since the temperature is constantly high, Venus has no real seasons, either.

ewcvC8bNBec6oMG9zufgVg.jpg
MARS
Mars was something of a disappointment as well, we must admit.  Whereas Venus was supposed to have been like Tahiti on a global scale, Mars was supposed to have been a Tolkienesque world replete with imposing castles, elegant princesses and a vast community of monstrous creatures and even the occasional sorcerer.     Well, blah!  As far as we can tell, Mars is devoid of life, though it might have harbored microbial life in the distant past when the planet's surface was much wetter.    Mars is a cold, barren desert world that also lacks the oxygen we need to life.   However, it does possess water ice at its pole that would prove useful to us if we could hold our breath long enough to reach it.
Unlike the first two planets, Mars does have natural satellites.  Two of them: Phobos and Deimos, two captured asteroids whose names mean "Panic" and "Fear."   Those are appropriate nicknames as Mars was named for the Roman god of War.     As Mars is coated in iron oxide (rust), it appears reddish in our sky.   Our conflict-weary ancestors likely associated that color with blood, hence the name.
UPSIDES

DOWNSIDES

Jupiter-980x607.jpg
JUPITER
Now we're moving into new territory, into the realm of the gas giants.   We can divide the planets into two categories.  The "terrestrial" planets: Mercury, Venus, Earth and Mars and the "gas giant" planets:  Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus and Neptune.    Pluto doesn't fit neatly into either category.
The gas giants rapidly rotate, contain thick atmospheres that are utterly unlike those enshrouding our planet, and all of them are surrounded by an absurd number of moons.

Jupiter get high marks for aesthetic beauty owing to its kaleidoscopically colorful cloud forms.  We are most intrigued by its "Great Red Spot," a storm larger than Earth which has been raging for centuries.    It is possible that Giovanni Cassini observed it in the 17th century.  We do know that the Great Red Spot has been tearing through the Jovian atmosphere since at least 1830, making it the most durable known storm in the solar system.   (Even the most persistent hurricane on Earth lasts for only about a month.)

One minor  problem:   Jupiter offers no surface on which to walk.   If we tried to "stand" on Jupiter, we'd be consumed by its turbulent clouds and would perish in an instant.   We could try to wander about any of its 79 known moons.   Yes, 79!   Jupiter boasts more attendant moons than any other planet.   It is sensible that the fifth planet would be so well endowed as it is the solar system's most massive planet.  In fact, it is more massive than all the other planets put together.

DOWNSIDES
UPSIDES
  • It is Earth's protector.  As Jupiter is so massive, it has often diverted many incoming comets away from the inner solar system.   We have likely sustained fewer impacts due to Jupiter's presence.
  • Has a ring, though it is exceedingly difficult to observe.
saturn-lead-image.jpg
SATURN
The one we've been waiting for.       A+ in the looks category.   Saturn is the the famous ringed world that is almost one billion  miles from the Sun.    Like the other gas giants, Saturn lacks a solid surface so bang goes our hope to stroll under its majestic rings.  Although those rings look solid when seen from a distance, they actually consist of billions of small particles ranging in size from dust grains to railroad box cars.     It is also surrounded by more than 60 moons, one of which, Titan- harbors an atmosphere that might well be similar to that of the early Earth.
Saturn's average temperature is about -288 degrees F, which we would expect being so far from the moon.       It is also torn by fierce winds owing in part to its rapid rotation.  Saturn spins on its axis once every 10.5 hours (slightly slower than Jupiter).   For this reason, Saturn is the solar system's most oblate planet:  thicker around its equator than at its poles.
DOWNSIDES
  • Ok, you know about the lack of oxygen issue. We'll stop mentioning it.
  • COLD!   COLD CO...  Sure, we'll stop talking about that, too
  • No surface on which to wa.....ok, and that

UPSIDES
  • Stand on a nearby moon and those rings will dazzle you into a stupor
  • It year lasts almost 30 Earth years so you'll have plenty of times to admire any given constellation before the Sun obscures it.

NVAnBwuGufg8cf2RXkZigd-320-80.jpg
URANUS
The planet every Middle School teacher hates.  Uranus was named for Uranus, the Roman god of the sky.  It was the first planet to have been "discovered," as all the closer planets have been known and observed since antiquity.     Astronomer William Herschel discovered it on March 13, 1781.    He was astonished to realize that he had found the solar system's seventh planet!
Uranus is "tipped over" on its side so that its axis almost spins along the orbital plane as opposed to being perpendicular to it.    It has 27 attendant moons, far less than Jupiter and Saturn have, but still much more than the terrestrials planets lay claim to.    Like the other gas giants planets, Uranus contains ample quantities of hydrogen and helium, but also harbors great stores of ammonia ice.
DOWNSIDES

UPSIDES
eNTJrysq4A6DqXncBtsRrB-1200-80.jpg
NEPTUNE
Two astronomers,  Englishman John Couch Adams and  Frenchman Urbain Leverrier independently discovered Neptune in 1846 by studying the observed perturbations in Uranus's orbit.  They used Newton's gravitational laws to mathematically determine its approximate location.  Leverrier persuaded Johann Galle to search for the then-unknown world through his telescope, which Leverrier did not possess.  Galle located the planet after only a single hour search.   He found it about one degree from the position that Leverrier had pinpointed.

With an average distance of 2.8 billion miles, Neptune is the most distant of the gas giant worlds.  It requires about 165 Earth years to complete an orbit.  In fact, it hasn't even completed two orbits since its discovery.       It is also the smallest gas giant and has fewer known moons (14) than any of the other Jovians.

Neptune was named for the Roman god of the sea, the counterpart to the Greek Poseidon.  They named the seventh planet Uranus because he sired the Titans, including Saturn.  Saturn sired the gods, including Jupiter, who sired Mars.  The planets were arranged in order of lineage.  The problem was that Uranus was born out of "Chaos," which meant nothing.  So, instead of calling the eighth world nothing,  it was given the name "Neptune," because of its distinctive bluish coloring.  Methane, not water, produces that blue tint, however.
UPSIDE
jGqBq44gCE3CogJTXAnwjT-320-80.jpg
PLUTO
Hey, none of that "it's not really a planet" talk!   At some point we'll address Pluto's undeserved demotion.   Now, we just want to end with Pluto, the solar system's ninth world. Discovered in 1930 by American astronomer Clyde Tombaugh, Pluto's average distance equals 3.7 billion miles.  At that distance, it requires 248 years to complete one revolution around the Sun.   It hasn't even finished half an orbit since its discovery.

Pluto is the smallest world and the least massive one as astronomers were able to determine after the United States Naval Observatory's James Christy discovered its largest moon Charon in 1978.     Pluto is now known to have five moons and might well have others that we cannot see from our vantage point.   NASA's New Horizons probe flew by Pluto in 2015 and discovered many features not visible from even the Hubble Space Telescope.  Its icy surface is far more complex than once believed.

UPSIDE

*Looking for a diversion during your isolation?    Try "By the Sword Divided," a wonderful and grossly underrated BBC dramatic series produced in the 1980s and set during and then after the three 17th century English civil wars.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bQRVH08xZcI    It is highly addictive and will make you want to use strange phrases like "not in a  long chalk."

https://lists.maine.edu/cgi-bin/wa?SUBED1=DAILY-ASTRONOMER&A=1