[image: Seignac,_Diane_chassant_(5613442047).jpg]
*ARTEMIS*
Well, naturally Artemis would be today's presiding mythological figure.
Also known as Diana, Phoebe and Selena, Artemis is our moon goddess.  While
also the goddess of the hunt, she rather incongruously serves as the
protector of wild animals, as well.    She and her twin brother Apollo were
sired by Zeus onto Leto, the matron goddess of motherhood    While some
mythological sources describe Artemis as having remained virginal,  she
did, in fact (or myth) fall madly in love with Orion the Hunter.   Orion
and Artemis were said to have been so consumed by their passionate love
affair that Artemis often forgot to conduct  her moon chariot across the
sky , much to Apollo's chagrin.   One day while Orion was bathing in a
nearby river, Apollo confronted his sister and chastised her for her
negligence of the lunar phases.  He conjured a luminous target between his
sister and her lover and said, "You are no longer the queen huntress any
more than you're the moon matron for your aim has ceased to be unerring."
 Incensed by this taunt, Artemis swiftly withdrew an arrow from her quiver
and fired it cleanly toward the target's center.   Sadly, the arrow flew
through the target and embedded itself into Orion's chest, killing him
instantly.  Inconsolably bereaved at having caused her lover's death, she
hoisted Orion in the sky so as to visit him still, albeit only once a moon
cycle.    In another well known tale, Artemis was Orion's arch nemesis.
 Orion was the most prolific hunter in the land and openly boasted of his
superior abilities.  One day, however, he declared that he could kill all
the beasts in the world  if he were so inclined.    After having heard this
outrageous statement, Artemis deployed Scorpius the Scorpion onto the land
to attack Orion.    The scorpion quickly found the hunter and killed him.
 Artemis placed the Scorpion in the sky to honor it for having dispatched
Orion so efficiently.   Orion's father Poseidon elevated his son into the
stars to assuage his grief and pay tribute to him. However, to prevent any
further hostilities, Orion and Scorpius have been set in opposite parts of
the heavens so they will never appear in the sky at the same time.

THE SOUTHWORTH PLANETARIUM
207-780-4249   www.usm.maine.edu/planet
<http://www.google.com/url?q=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.usm.maine.edu%2Fplanet&sa=D&sntz=1&usg=AFQjCNHulkHuLP13bOG2PkNrPazsGWFs2A>
70 Falmouth Street   Portland, Maine 04103
43.6667° N                   70.2667° W
Altitude:  10 feet below sea level
Founded January 1970
Julian Date: 245942.16
2019-2020:  CXVIII

THE DAILY ASTRONOMER
Thursday, April 2, 2020
Remote Planetarium 4:  A Falling and Phasing Moon

*TODAY'S HELPFUL REMINDER*
Any object north of the celestial equator remains in the sky for more than
12 hours each day.
Any object south of the celestial equator remains in the sky for less than
12 hours each day.

The moon is falling!
Yes, we mean it.  The moon is falling toward Earth at this very moment,
just as Earth is falling toward the Sun.     In both instances, however,
there is no need for concern.   Both Earth and the moon are traveling along
orbits around their respective parent bodies.    To be in orbit is to fall
around the other body high enough and fast enough so that the larger body
moves out of the way before any impact can occur.  To give you a clearer
idea about this concept, let's play around with the cosmos a bit.   (The
advantage of astronomy is that one can preside over a fictional Universe to
see how the parts react to different situations.)

First, we're going to release the moon from Earth's gravity. We'll retain
the surface gravity to prevent our own lives from becoming too
interesting.  Freed from Earth's restraint, the moon starts moving along a
line tangent to its orbit. Provided it encounters no impediment, the moon
will continue moving along this path indefinitely.      In the real world,
the moon does move along a straight trajectory,  but Earth's gravity nudges
it slightly inward, producing the curved orbit.

Today's aim is to watch the moon, understand its motions and predict where
in the sky one can find it at a given time.   The best way to achieve this
aim is to compile a list of moon facts, some self-evident, others quite
surprising.

*1.  THE MOON IS ALWAYS HALF ILLUMINATED*
The moon is a sphere within the range of a single light source, the Sun.
 As the moon revolves around Earth, one half remains illuminated while the
other half is steeped in darkness.   We perceive different lunar phases
because our perspective on the moon changes constantly.

[image:
Half-of-the-Moon-is-always-lit-by-the-Sun-As-the-Moon-orbits-the-Earth-we-see-the.png]

We define the different phases as follows:

*NEW MOON (Conjunction)*
The moon is between the Sun and Earth so that no part of its illuminated
side faces us.    0% illuminated

*WAXING CRESCENT*
The moon moves through the waxing crescent phase after conjunction (new
moon) but before first quadrature (first quarter).   More than 0% but less
than 50% illuminated.

*FIRST QUARTER  (First Quadrature)*
We see half of the moon's lit region when the moon is at a right angle
relative to the Earth-Sun line.    As a rough rule of thumb, the first
quarter moon rises around noon and sets around midnight.   50% illuminated

*WAXING GIBBOUS*
The phase between first quarter and opposition (full moon).    More than
50% but less than 100% illuminated.

*FULL MOON (OPPOSITION)*
We see all of the moon's illuminated section at opposition.  Earth is
between the Sun and the moon at this time.   As another rough rule of
thumb, the moon rises at sunset and sets around sunrise.    100%
illuminated.

*WANING GIBBOUS *
The phase between full moon and second quadrature (last quarter) moon.
More than 50% but less than 100% illuminated

*LAST QUARTER (Second quadrature)*
The moon is again at right angles relative to the Sun-Earth line.  We see
half of its lit region.    The last quarter moon rises around midnight and
sets around noon.  (Yes, another rule of thumb.)   50% illuminated

*WANING CRESCENT *
The phase between last quarter and conjunction. More than 0% but less than
50% illuminated.

*2.   THE MOON IS NOT ONLY VISIBLE AT NIGHT*
One will see the moon in the daytime sky as often as one sees it in the
night sky.   We associate the moon with night because at that time the moon
doesn't have to compete with the much brighter Sun for our attention.
  Let's examine the lunar phase list while paying close attention to the
rise and set times.

The new moon rises and sets with the Sun, while the first quarter moon
rises at noon and sets at midnight.
-The waxing crescent moon must then rise before noon and set before
midnight.   One will see the waxing crescent moon in the eastern morning
and western afternoon/early evening sky.     In a lunar cycle's
early stage, the thin crescent moon appears along the western horizon just
after sunset.

The full moon rises around sunset and sets around sunrise.
-The waxing gibbous moon rises after noon and sets after sunrise.  For
instance, if on a certain day the moon rises around 2 p.m, and sets around
2 a.m, it would be a waxing gibbous moon.

The last quarter moon rises around midnight and sets around noon.
-The waning gibbous moon rises after midnight and sets after noontime.  As
another example, if the moon rises at 3 a.m and sets around 3 p.m, it would
have to be a waning gibbous moon.

[Let's brighten our day and try a few exercises.   Consider this a primer
for tomorrow's horrible quiz.     We'll post the answers at the end of this
article.

A. If the moon is 50% illuminated and rises around midnight, what is its
phase?

B. If the moon is 30% illuminated and sets around  10:00 p.m, what is its
phase?

C.  If the moon is 15% illuminated and rises around 4 a.m. what is its
phase?  ]

*3.   THE MOON'S PATH IS ALIGNED CLOSELY WITH THE ZODIAC*
Let's pretend we could see Earth's orbit about the Sun and the moon's orbit
around Earth as discs.     What do we see?

[image: 52 - Earth Moon Tilt.gif]

The moon's orbit is tilted relative to Earth's orbit (the ecliptic) by
slightly more than five degrees.    Consequently, we would never see the
moon more than five degrees away from the ecliptic band:

[image: unnamed.png]

Recall from yesterday that the ecliptic band passes through thirteen
constellations: Pisces, Aries, Taurus, Gemini, Cancer, Leo, Virgo, Libra,
Scorpius, Ophiuchus, Sagittarius, Capricornus and Aquarius.     The moon
would have to be in or very close to these constellations.    (Note:  While
the Sun can only remain within one of the thirteen zodiac constellations,
the planets and the moon can also occasionally veer into nearby
constellation regions.)

WHERE TO SET THE MOON ALONG THE ECLIPTIC
Recall earlier that we described the moon rise/set times as rough rules of
thumb.    We truly meant that.     If we intend to understand lunar
motions, we must now see how the moon's position relative to the Sun varies
through each lunar cycle.
The above star chart represents 360 degrees.   Note that the point at the
far right is the same as that on the far left.   To represent the ecliptic
more accurately, we would have to tack the two extreme points together to
make a circle.

NEW MOON is 0 degrees from the Sun
FIRST QUARTER MOON is 90 degrees from the Sun
FULL MOON is 180 degrees from the Sun
LAST QUARTER MOON is 270 degrees from the Sun

Now, notice:
THE VERNAL EQUINOX position, at the far right of  the star chart, is 0
degrees from the vernal equinox position.  Ok, that's was pointless, but
look
THE JUNE SOLSTICE position is 90 degrees from the vertical equinox position.
THE AUTUMNAL EQUINOX position is 180 degrees from the vernal equinox
position.
THE DECEMBER SOLSTICE position is 270 degrees from the vernal equinox
position.

We'll now go to the first day of autumn.
The Sun is on the autumnal equinox point that intersects with the celestial
equator at the farthest right hand point
--If the moon were new, it would occupy the same point
--The first quarter moon would be around the June solstice point, the
highest region around the ecliptic
--The full moon would be around the vernal equinox point, also along the
celestial equator
--The last quarter moon would be near the December solstice point, the
lowest region around the ecliptic.

Because the Sun describes the highest arc at the June solstice, the moon
will also describe the highest arc when it is around the same solstice
point.  Conversely, the Sun moves along the lowest arc at the December
solstice.  When the moon occupies this part of the ecliptic, its arc will
be smaller also.
---If the moon were at the first quarter point around the first day of
autumn, it would travel along a high arc, rising somewhat earlier than noon
and setting a little later than midnight.  After all, this moon is well
north of the celestial equator and remains above the horizon for more than
12 hours.
---If the moon were full around the first day of autumn, its path would be
along the celestial equator.   It would remain in the sky for about 12
hours and should actually rise around sunset and set at sunrise,
---If the moon were at the last quarter point around the first day of
autumn, it would travel along a low arc, rising somewhat later than noon
and setting earlier than midnight.  This moon is south of the celestial
equator and will remain in the sky for less than 12 hours.

We also note that the full moon around the June solstice occupies the
December solstice region.
The full moon that occurs around the December solstice occupies the June
solstice region.
CONCLUSION: Winter's first full moon follows a much higher path than
summer's first full moon.  When one observes the full moon in December, one
should expect it to remain in the sky for quite a long time, as opposed to
June's full moon which moves along a much lower arc.

On Monday, we will continue our lunar explorations.
Tomorrow, the quiz.

Also, we'd love to hear your feedback about this first week.   Posting an
on-line astronomy course is new territory for us, as well.    How is it
going so far?  Too little information? Too much?

Exercise Answers
A.  Last Quarter
B.  Waxing Crescent
C.  Waning Crescent