Message from the Director

Outdoor portrait headshot of Director Gayle ZydlewskiIt is with great excitement that I reach out to you at a time when our Program has much to celebrate: new team members, new state and regional initiatives, and the many partnerships and projects that continue from Wells to Eastport. I am thrilled to introduce Hannah Robbins, our new communications manager and Justin Stevens, our newest extension team member focusing on sea-run fish and healthy coastal ecosystems. On another positive note, Congressional support for the Sea Grant Program is at an all-time high. The federal budget passed with increased funding for the program and the House passed a bill to reauthorize the program. We anticipate a productive spring as we dig into Aquaculture in Shared Waters, the State Climate Council, Regional American Lobster Initiative, and many other collaborations as we look forward to the return of the alewife in April!

General Updates

We’ve Moved! Maine Sea Grant offices are now in Libby Hall

We’re Growing! Maine Sea Grant is accepting applications for a new Marine Extension Associate position

Research

Maine Sea Grant opens Program Development proposal applications

National Sea Grant opens new round of funding for American Lobster research

Extension Professor co-authors Maine’s Climate Future 2020 Update

Extension Professor co-authors Maine Policy Review article

Scallop research continues

Extension and Community Engagement

Maine Sea Grant to attend Fishermen’s Forum

Living with the Rainforest: The Cultural Knowledge of Borneo’s Dayak People

Signs of the Seasons citizen science program gears up for spring trainings

Maine Ocean and Coastal Acidification Partnership announces new coordinator

Maine Sea Grant staff and partners strengthen their facilitation skills

Cost-saving Japanese scallop gear comes to Maine

Education and Workforce Development

Aquaculture in Shared Waters program welcomes a new class

Maine educators share aquaculture curriculum

Undergraduate scholarship opportunity opens next month

Collaborations

American Lobster Initiative research and extension teams meet

Alliance for Maine’s Marine Economy hosts Fall Forum

Alliance for Maine’s Marine Economy publishes 2019 Highlights report

Alliance for Maine’s Marine Economy welcomes its 2020 Steering Committee

Maine Aquaculture Hub launches new website

In the News

WERU program features the Alliance for Maine’s Marine Economy

Local newspaper features student work

Mark Your Calendars

March 5-7: Maine Fishermen’s Forum

March 16: Signs of the Seasons Training. Maine Sea Grant and extension staff will be leading a training at Gilsland Farm Audubon Center in Falmouth.

March 19: Deadline for National Sea Grant American lobster research proposals.

March 24: Signs of the Seasons Training. Maine Sea Grant and extension staff will be leading a training Audubon Fields Pond Station in Holden.

April 1:  Deadline for Program Development proposals.

April 8: Signs of the Seasons Training. Maine Sea Grant and Extension staff will be leading a training at UMaine Extension Piscataquis County Office in Dover-Foxcroft.

April 27: Signs of the Seasons Training. Maine Sea Grant and Extension staff will be leading a training at Wells National Estuarine Research Reserve in Wells.

Maine Sea Grant College Program • 5741 Libby Hall Suite 110 • University of Maine • Orono, ME 04469
(207) 581.1435 • [log in to unmask]" target="_blank">[log in to unmask]

Inline image 2

Inline image 7 Inline image 8 Inline image 9

 [log in to unmask]" target="_blank" style="font-size:large;text-align:right;font-family:arial,sans-serif">Subscribe | [log in to unmask]" target="_blank" style="font-size:large;text-align:right;font-family:arial,sans-serif">Unsubscribe