          "If a man watches three football games in a row, he should be declared legally dead."
                            -Erma Bombeck

THE DAILY ASTRONOMER
Friday (ok, Sunday), February 2, 2020
Quiz XX:  The Annual Superbowl Quiz (2020)

______________________
Dedicated to my brother Richard who, like his beloved Baltimore Ravens, will be watching the Super Bowl AT HOME!
ha ha ha
_______________________

Once a year we veer light years away from astronomy with our annual Super Bowl Quiz.   The time to celebrate the most eagerly anticipated sporting event in the USA!
A hundred million viewers! Billions of pounds of consumed chicken wings! Hundreds of square miles of devoured pizza! Add to that ulta-expensive commercials, enough
ingested beer to overflow a Bay and, at game's end, enough shattered hearts to fill half a dozen country music albums and you have a modern day Saturnalia replete with
frenzied energy, glorious over indulgence and profound regrets the morning after.

Who wouldn't want to be part of that?!
(Well, apart from my dear wife who, partner choice apart, is unfailingly sensible and is, besides, a vegan.)

We hope you enjoy today's quiz: one of the DA's cherished traditions.
Oh:  we heard from a mathematically adept subscriber who noticed that the easiest questions were touchdowns (six points), while the more challenging questions were either two point conversions or the extra point question.      So, we tried to be a bit more balanced.

Tell us your score!

1. Extra point:     Which teams are competing in this Super Bowl?

a. Two point conversion:   Which one of these teams played in the first Super Bowl?

b. Touchdown:  How many times has each of these two teams appeared in the Super Bowl?
(before today)

2. Extra point:  Sunday's Super Bowl is number ______

a.  Two point conversion:  What is the number expressed in Roman Numerals?

b. Touchdown:  When is the next time the Super Bowl number expressed in Roman numerals will NOT contain the letter L?

3. Extra point:   In which city is today's Super Bowl to be played?

a.  Two point conversion: How many members are still in the "Been to every Super Bowl" club?

b. Touchdown:  One of them is from Maine.  What is his name?

4.   Extra point: How much does a 30-second Super Bowl ad cost this year?

a. Two point conversion:   How much more is the cost for an ad this year than last year?

b.  Touchdown:     President Trump is airing a commercial during today's Super Bowl.  Which Democratic politician competing for the nomination is
also airing an ad during the Super Bowl?

5.  Extra point:  Which was the only Super Bowl to have gone into overtime?

a.  Two point conversion:  Which team won that Super Bowl?

b.  Touchdown:  What was the final score?

ANSWERS

1.  Extra point:     Kansas City Chiefs and San Francisco 49ers

a.   Two point conversion:   Kansas City.
They played the Green Bay Packers in Super Bowl!

b. Touchdown:
Kansas City - 2
San Francisco - 5

2.  Extra point:    54

a.  Two point conversion:   LIV

b. Touchdown:  Superbowl  XC  (90)

3.  Extra point:   Miami

a.  Two point conversion:  3

b. Touchdown:  Don Crisman

4. Extra point:  $5.6 million

b. Two point conversion:  $400,000 more

c.  Touchdown:  Mike Bloomberg

5.  Extra point:   Super Bowl LI

b. Two point conversion:  The Patriots, Dic!

c. Touchdown     Atlanta Falcons - 28
                            New England Patriots - 34, Dic!

To subscribe or unsubscribe from the "Daily Astronomer"