                  "How do you know you've met an extroverted astronomer?
When you talk, he/she will be looking at your shoes instead of their own."

THE DAILY ASTRONOMER
Friday, December 20, 2019
Quiz XVI:  2019!

Well, of course we know that the year 2019 has ended quite yet.  More than
260 hours separates us from the beginning of the year 2020.    A heck of a
lot can transpire in 260 hours.  If you don't believe me, ask anyone who's
attended a University budget meeting.  Although the year hasn't drawn to a
complete close, yet, we wanted to devote the DA's final quiz of 2019 to,
well, the year 2019.       We have to pick and choose from a plethora of
events, so forgive us if we neglect to include something you deem to have
been the most important happening of the year.

1.   All works published in what year became public domain in 2019?
a. 1919
b. 1923
c. 1939
d. 1819

2. The science fiction world mourned the passing of Peter Mayhew, who died
on April 30, 2019.  Why was he important in the science fiction Universe?
a.  He wrote "Stranger in a Strange Land."
b.  He portrayed Chewbacca in the Star Wars films
c.  He created "Dr. Who"
d.  He wrote more Star Trek books than any other author

3.  What is 2019 in Roman Numerals?

4. The United Nations General Assembly designated 2019 as the International
Year of what?
a.  the internal combustion engine
b.  the periodic table of the elements
c.  indigenous languages
d.  all of the above
e.  b and c
f   none of the above

5.  What is the world's estimated population as of December 2019?
a.  6.8 billion
b. 7.8 billion
c. 8.2 billion
d. 8.9 billion

6.  About how many births occurred in 2019?
a. 36 million
b. 56 million
c. 73 million
d. 82 million

7.  In April 2019, astronomers using the Event Horizon Telescope captured
their very first image of _____________.
a.  four galaxies colliding
b.  a black hole
c.  a radio galaxy
d.  the Milky Way Galaxy's nucleus

8.  Which team won the Women's World Cup 2019?
a.  France
b.  USA
c.  Italy
d. Argentina

9.  On December 26, an annular solar eclipse will be visible from parts of
South Asia.
What is an annular solar eclipse?
a. a solar eclipse that only occurs in the early morning
b. a solar eclipse during which the moon doesn't entirely block the Sun,
but instead leaves a ring of light visible at mid eclipse
c.  a solar eclipse seen in the summer
d.  none of the above

10.  What is the highest grossing film (domestically) in 2019?
a.  Toy Story 4
b.  Captain Marvel
c.  The Lion King
d.  Avengers: Endgame

ANSWERS
1. b. 1923

2. b.  He portrayed Chewbacca in the Star Wars films

3.  MMXIX

4. e.  b and c

5. b. 7.8 billion
According to estimates, the world's population will reach 9 billion in 2037
and 10 billion by 2057.

6. d. 82 million

7.  b.  a black hole

8. b.  USA
Rah!

9. b. a solar eclipse during which the moon doesn't entirely block the Sun,
but instead leaves a ring of light visible at mid eclipse

10. d.  Avengers: Endgame
Domestic total:  $858,373,000

To subscribe or unsubscribe from the "Daily Astronomer"
http://lists.maine.edu/cgi/wa?A0=DAILY-ASTRONOMER