2019                VIII
[image: 61oGFsOYD8L._SX466_.jpg]

THE DAILY ASTRONOMER
Thursday, October 10, 2019
October 2019 Night Sky Tour Part II

Look for the unseen!
Yes, well, that is utterly impossible, isn't it?   Perhaps not.   Remember
that the apparently static night sky is boundless not only in it extent,
but in its kinetic energy. Far more transpires beyond our view than occurs
in our sights.      Look toward the northern region of Ophiuchus the
Serpent Charmer.  This faint but enormous constellation covers much of the
southwestern skyWell concealed within the inky black the Voyager I
spacecraft moves away from its home planet at more than 33,000 miles per
hour.   Although it was only launched in August 1977, Voyager 1is now more
than 13 billion miles away and will continue moving inexorably out the
solar system and well beyond.  The interplanetary probe is destined to
become an interstellar emissary as it will come within 1.7 light years of
the star AC +79 3888 in approximately 40,000 years.   Provided it doesn't
collide with any careening objects or become ensnared by any other body's
gravity, Voyager will continue to revolve around the galaxy for millions,
or perhaps billions, of years.       Our most distant bottle in the cosmic
sea.

[image: ophiuchuscc.jpg]
Well concealed within the northern region of Ophiuchus (Just under the "s"
in the name label) soars Voyager 1, a spacecraft moving more than 33,000
miles an hour away from Earth and into the depths of interstellar space.

Much closer to home, approximately 10,000 satellites revolve around our
planet. These artificial moons are scattered along all possible orbiting
altitudes: from the low Earth orbit about 100 miles up to the rarefied
regions above the geosynchronous orbital altitude of 26,200 miles.   A
veritable swarm of orbiting spacecraft lurk above us at all times.   If a
satellite is properly positioned relative to the Sun and an observer, it
will be visible as a 'star like object' that appears to meander through the
firmament.     Some dark sky observers devote their viewing sessions
primarily to watching these satellites silently orbiting overhead vanishing
and appearing as out of nowhere.

[image: Andromeda_NASA.jpg]

Peer into the eastern evening sky tonight and one will see the "kite tails"
of Andromeda the chained princess attached to Pegasus' Great Square.
Look closely by the princess' leg and one will find a strange splotch of
light wider across than the full moon, but not nearly as bright.   That
small luminous patch is the great Andromeda Galaxy,  the closest of the
large spirals to the Milky Way.     At a distance of 2.2 million light
years, the Andromeda Galaxy (M31) is the most distant of the naked eye
celestial objects.      To look at this galaxy is to gaze upon our remote
future, as Andromeda and the Milky Way are destined to "collide" within 4
billion years.   After a protracted sequence of collisions, these two
galaxies will merge to form a megagalaxy of more than one trillion stars.
 During their merger, both galaxies will expel millions of their stars into
the unfathomably vast gulfs of intergalactic space..

Myriad sights to see....we regret that time, or, more accurately, our
self-imposed limitations on time, allow us to focus on only a few..

TO SUBSCRIBE TO OR UNSUBSCRIBE FROM THE "DAILY ASTRONOMER" LIST-SERVE:
http://lists.maine.edu/cgi/wa?SUBED1=DAILY-ASTRONOMER&A=1
<http://www.google.com/url?q=http%3A%2F%2Flists.maine.edu%2Fcgi%2Fwa%3FSUBED1%3DDAILY-ASTRONOMER%26A%3D1&sa=D&sntz=1&usg=AFQjCNFULbYWhPaagSdTTFqjXHF4ALIV8A>